Trailer Deck Finish

/ Trailer Deck Finish #1  

alexsbuddy

Gold Member
Tractor
LS XG3037 w/ LS LL3109 FEL Kodiak SD5 Mower, Speeco Model 65 PHD, Bush Hog BX-600 Box Blade, Titan 42" Skid Steer Pallet Fork/Hay Spear Combo
Anyone have a recommendation on what I should use to weatherproof the wood deck of my new trailer? I would like to get as much life out of it as I can. Thanks.

/ Trailer Deck Finish #2  
Used engine oil seems to work pretty well. Old hydraulic oil might be good too since it wouldn't be black and as messy.

/ Trailer Deck Finish #3  
I went to Home Depot and had them mix me up a nice gray color of their deckscape stuff that has texture in it. Went on easy after pressure washing and letting it dry for a bit. Holding up great and looks good too.

Brett

/ Trailer Deck Finish #4  
I use a 50/50 mixture of used motor oil and diesel. I apply heavily with a brush. Does a good job waterproofing the deck.

/ Trailer Deck Finish #6  
Oil based deck stain and/or a blue tarp when not in use works well for me.

/ Trailer Deck Finish #7  
IMG_2001.JPG

Here's what mine looks like using used motor oil from my last truck oil change. Best part it was free.

/ Trailer Deck Finish #8  
How may gallons does it take for a 8x25' trailer approx? I would probably consider new oil and diesel mixed just so it wouldn't be so messy when walked on, but it may not matter on most trailers.

/ Trailer Deck Finish #9  
How may gallons does it take for a 8x25' trailer approx? I would probably consider new oil and diesel mixed just so it wouldn't be so messy when walked on, but it may not matter on most trailers.

My trailer is 82" x 22' and I use almost 2 gallons of the 50/50 mix. I lay it on pretty heavy so it soaks in good.

/ Trailer Deck Finish #10  
Don't forget there's six sides to each board. To get the longest life, you want to treat all sides.