HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck?

/ HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck? #21  
That 3/4 ton category is actually kind off fading fast. To me the 1 ton SRW is a much better choice having usually 2,000# more payload with no other real penalty.

The 1/2 tons are knocking on the 3/4 ton gas trucks doors.

Chris

I'd like to see some stats on this too DP. 3/4 ton truck around here are almost as popular as 1/2 tons. You drive through any part of suburbia and see as many 3/4 ton diesels as you do 1/2 tons with 6" lifts.

/ HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck?
I went with the 2016 Ram 2500 6.4 hemi engine with 410 horsepower.Priced a Ford F150 V-8 engine lariat model 1/2 ton with comparable options and went with the Ram 3/4 ton for the same price.

That's a nice truck! My cousin has one and I borrowed it for 3 days once but didn't tow with it. What trim level did you get at the same price as the F150 V8 Lariat?

Honestly, if the 3/4 tons had a gas engine with low end torque like an ecoboost (but a little more to make up for the weight difference). This would be a much easier decision. The new Ram 2500s ride vey nice as well. I should really see if my cousin will let me borrow his RAM to do some tow testing.

/ HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck? #23  
Really?Post your facts that the 3/4 tons are fading fast?
Look at the facts. Compare a F150 vs 3/4 ton gas truck as i stated above.

3/4 ton diesels are another story but i vant fathom why anyone would get one vs a 1 ton SRW?

That 3/4 ton category is actually kind off fading fast. To me the 1 ton SRW is a much better choice having usually 2,000# more payload with no other real penalty.

The 1/2 tons are knocking on the 3/4 ton gas trucks doors.

Chris

I'd say only the rare and usually special ordered F150 HD is the only one that is knocking on the door. Most gas 3/4 ton trucks have ~3,000 pounds of payload. Most 1/2 tons have ~1,500 pounds.

Sure, the tow ratings for gassers might be similar but most 1/2 tons don't have the payload rating to legally tow to their rating with a safe amount of tongue weight (and sometimes you need more than 10% for it to feel right).

/ HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck? #25  
Also to add to the 1/2 ton HD vs 3/4 ton, there's one manufacturer that will allow a service body to be upfitted to a 1/2 ton, and that's GM. After Knapheide came out with the model to fit these trucks 3 years ago, I have sold a total of...zero. Why? Because after the install of the body it leaves a whopping 823lbs of GVW left for tools, occupants etc. We install service bodies on more 3/4 tons then any other truck by 3 fold. I'm not saying 3/4 ton is the superior choice, I miss having a 1/2 ton when driving around town and backroad at deer camp. But when towing and payload are needed, the old saying goes, there's no replacement for displacement.

/ HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck? #26  
I'd like to see some stats on this too DP. 3/4 ton truck around here are almost as popular as 1/2 tons. You drive through any part of suburbia and see as many 3/4 ton diesels as you do 1/2 tons with 6" lifts.
Look at the stats. 1/2 ton properly equipped can do what a gas 3/4 ton can do towing or payload wise.

I stated gas, not diesel. I still would always skip.the 3/4 ton and go SRW 1 ton every day of the week!

/ HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck? #27  
That's not a fair comparison. Most people that buy a truck buy it to haul lumber from Lowes, tow a fishing boat etc. 1/2 ton is all they need. Comparing numbers fairly would be look at number of 1/2 tons sold 10 years ago to today. Then take the number of 3/4 ton ten years ago and today and see which has grown the most. I can assure you, here, 3/4 ton trucks are on every corner. You'll never replace the capability of a 3/4 with 1/2 ton.

/ HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck? #28  
And saying a properly equipped 1/2 will do what a 3/4 gas will do is ludicrous. I do this for a living, not a hobby, re-check your numbers. My personal truck has a GVWR of 22,500 fifth/gooseneck, there's never been a 1/2 ton I or any sane person would trust to have that kind of number on it and handle it at highway speeds.

I think the lines have gotten blurry because people what options and some of the manufacturers accommodate. I've got the 2017 F150 book in front of my right now. The highest payload I see is 3,220 for a regular cab with HD payload package. A crew cab with HD payload package is 2,630. All specs do not include the 150 pound driver so you can add that to get the diff between GVW and curb weight. On the low side I see 1,570 which can probably be reduced by several hundred pounds via options.

I was looking at an 2012 F250 diesel last night and the payload on the door was 2053 pounds. Does this mean 3/4 tons are going away? No way. The 3/4 tons are structurally in a different class. They are made to work all the time.

Around here, you'll be hard pressed to find an 1 ton SRW on a dealer lot. But there are tons of 3/4 tons. I think that's because most people are around here are getting a 3/4 ton as a status symbol. They want the "big" truck but don't actually need the payload or want the harsh ride. So 3/4 SRW is more popular here than 1 ton SRW.

Strictly on gas engines. There isn't much difference in payload between a 3/4 ton and 1 ton SRW. For example, the max payload on a Ram 2500 3/4 ton is 3,990 (2017 model). Max on a 1 ton SRW is 4,500. 510 pounds difference.

/ HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck? #30  
Maybe I was unlucky but In the last ten years I have owned one F-150 ecoboost, four 3/4 ton gas F-250s, a 3/4 ton duramax, a dually duramax, two dodge diesel 3/4 tons, a F-250 diesel, a F-350 diesel and a F-450 diesel. The ecoboost got the worst mileage out of ALL of them. I bought it brand new in 2012 and traded is six months later because the mileage was so bad and it had a small tank. It had plenty of power I will give it that.