HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck?

/ HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck? #1  

gladehound

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DS4510HS, Exmark Laser Z, Kioti LB1914
I'm looking for a new truck and am looking for input to help me decide (I know you guys are good at that!) :thumbsup:

Background on my situation:

I had a 1999.5 F-250 Crew Cab 7.3 PSD for 14 years and eventually got rid of it due to rust. In retrospect, I probably should have paid someone to fix the rust problems and kept it. It was a great truck.

I've been without a truck for 3 years. My heaviest vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.7L & factory tow package. This was OK initially as I had no real towing needs except for towing my tractor to a hay ride about twice a year, less than 20 mi round trip and relatively flat roads. Tractor on equipment trailer is about 9,000 pounds. But due to the low speeds, mild hills and short distance, the Jeep does this fine.

Since then I acquired a ski boat (~4,000 pounds on the trailer) and travel trailer (6,600 Gross, but only 4,000 curb and 5,000 packed for a trip) Jeep pulls the weight fine up or down hills. The trailer actually holds the Jeep back at anything above 50 mph. It's like having a parachute when going down the hills.

Here are the issues I'm trying to improve upon....

1. Visibility - The boat and the travel trailer are both nearly 8ft wide and even with clip on tow mirrors, I can't see well behind me with the Jeep. I miss the extendable tow mirrors on the F-250.

2. Control / comfort in wind - More importantly, the travel trailer has a 23ft box. 27ft total ball to bumper. 7'11" wide. That's lots of surface area to catch wind. When bucking a head wind the constant revving of the 5.7 hemi is annoying (I'm to used to towing with diesels I guess). And with a cross wind (and believe me, we saw some winds! even saw a tornado touch down in Wyoming), it can be hard to control the jeep even using 14% tongue weight. Longer weight base, more weight and heavier running gear would all help in this department. - before people jump all over me, I would never have started out if I knew the winds would be what they were. But sometimes the unexpected happens.

3. Payload - Need more weight capacity. To help with control on our recent trip with the jeep, I increased tongue weight to 18% (900 pounds) and cranked the weight distribution bars tighter so that I got a little squat front and rear on the Jeep. This helped stability a lot. However, this puts me over the max tongue weight of the Jeep and might probably put me over the GVWR. There are other things I want to take on our next trip like bikes and kayaks but I don't have the payload to do it with the Jeep.

Going forward, I'm estimating that I will do ~20,000 miles annually. ~5,000 of these will be towing (mostly the travel trailer). The remaining ~15,000 are commuting to work (15 miles one way) and weekend soccer games (10 to 300 miles one way depending on where the games are) and ski trips in the winter.

I'm looking for a crew cab 4x4 pick-up truck with at least 2,000 pounds capacity (GVWR - curb weight). Any 3/4 ton seems to be suitable (diesel or gas although some diesel cut it close on payload). And the 2015 or newer F-150 with 17" or 18" rims all seem to have at least 2,000 pound payload with the Ecoboost engine. The max payload package that is available on the F-150 gives it more payload than most diesel 3/4 ton trucks.

I'm torn between buying a used 2015+ F-150 with Ecoboost. Ordering a new 2018 F-150 with max payload package. Or buying a used 3/4 ton (gas or diesel).

Questions:

1. Would the late model diesels with expensive emissions systems keep their DPF clean with my driving cycle.
2. Would a 3/4 ton gas hold the RPMs lower than my 5.7 hemi jeep when towing? Or would the weight of the truck counteract any increase in engine displacement?
3. Will an F-150, which weighs about the same as my Jeep, really give me more stability due to longer WB and more weigh on front end, and would the heavier running gear with the HD payload package noticeably help with stability?

I've driven a sampling of the trucks I'm interested in and prefer the forced induction engines. Both the Ecoboost (2014 & 2017) and the 6.7 powerstroke (2012) run like a scalded dog! The 2017 cummins somewhat addictive as well. I'm sure any of these would be a joy to tow with!

So what should I do? F-150, F-150 with HD payload, 3/4 ton? :confused3: Give me your thoughts...

/ HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck? #2  
You dont need a diesel and for all thr commuting you will do with this vehicle i would go 1/2 ton for ride and steering.

My current preference would be the 3.5 Eco Boost F150 or the gas Titan HD.

/ HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck? #3  
I have a '13 F150 with the HD payload package and ecoboost. The payload is 2,592# which is comparable to what F250's had just a couple of years ago. One of the upgrades is the 7 lug wheels which allow a 4,800# rear axle weight rating. I tow an 8,000# (loaded) RV trailer (27') with just over 1,000# tongue weight with little issue.

The downside is that it has to be special order.

/ HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck?
Orezok - my guess is that the F150 3.5 ecoboost with HD payload package is the best mix for what I do. As you said, they are rare. I haven't found any used. There is one new at a lot that is a bit of distance from here. Chances are, I'd have to order a 2018 to find one configured how I'd like it. With the options I'd want it would be ~$43,000 (invoice minus incentives). For that money, I could also buy a new 3/4 ton gas. Or up to a 2015 3/4 ton diesel. Being that I lived with a 3/4 ton diesel for 14 years and absolutely loved it, this is something I have to think hard about. Or I could save some money and go with 3/4 ton gas which has to be considered. The 2014+ Rams as well as every F-250 I've ever driven ride more than adequately for me. And the 6.4L and 6.2L seem adequate. Don't know about Chevy, never drove one and don't think I'd like the 6.0 as much.

Diamondpilot - the Nissan HD is an interesting proposition that I hadn't thought much about. What would you say makes the Nissan HD a good candidate? I've never looked at one but on paper it didn't stand out to me. However, there are intangibles like drive quality, quietness etc. that that spec sheets don't adequately capture. So what am I missing?

I agree that I don't "need" a diesel. But that was never the question. I enjoy the torque characteristics of diesels. The question is, would a modern diesel work for the type of driving I do without clogging the DPF. I'd have an opportunity to really run it about 1 once a week. And my 15 mile commute is not stop and go. It's all country roads with speeds from 35-50 mph with some good mile long hills.

I'd be interested to hear from some with modern diesels who drive in a similar way.

/ HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck? #5  
My experience with Nissan Titans has been great. I had a 08 that I should have never sold. It replaced a 04 3/4 ton Ford and was joy to own. 100% trouble free and great

/ HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck? #6  
"Would a 3/4 ton gas hold the RPMs lower than my 5.7 hemi jeep when towing"
My 6.2L gas F250 tows our 9k trailer fine, but the rpms in particular are much higher than one would expect. I can be down in 3rd or 4th on the highway at 5000 rpm going up hills. I don't imagine the gas engines in the 150's are going to be much different rpm-wise.

/ HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck? #7  
I think Ford is coming out with a diesel F150 in 2018. If not in a rush, sit back and wait a few months.

/ HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck? #8  
I agree, I own a Chevy 3/4 ton 6.0 gas, and if you like low RPM's pulling a hill with a trailer, a gas truck isn't the answer. Not a big deal, the engine is built for it and that is where the power band is compared to a diesel. If you are one of those people that like a little saftey margin, a 3/4 ton might fit the bill for you, but I don't see you listing anything that a half ton will equipped wouldn't handle. A diesel? Great trucks but bring a large premimum over gas trucks.

/ HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck? #9  
I can take my 10k worth of tractor and trailer down the road with my 2015 F150 with no problems stopping, steering, or pulling hills. I can drive the interstates of north-central WV at 65MPH and never exceed 3000RPM (out of a 5750RPM red line) except when getting on the interstate at a steep on-ramp. If I were pulling a 25'+ box trailer with anything less than a 1 ton, I would want a good sway control hitch to help keep side gusts uneventful.

/ HD F-150 or 3/4 ton truck? #10  
F150 with the Ecoboost will be running in much lower RPMs than a F250 with the larger gas engine. I have a v8 in my F150 and I love it, but my next truck will probably have an Ecoboost.
For your truck, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. I have the Heavy Payload package and really like having over a ton payload capacity, along with the comfort of a half ton. If I was towing more a new diesel would be great, but not quite the same comfort.