Dump trailer pump questions

/ Dump trailer pump questions #1  

brycez28

Tractor
MF 2706e (soon to be purchasing)
A couple weeks ago I bought a used 8'x20' 12k dump trailer. It has removable aluminum sides. The hydraulic pump on it wasn't working when I bought it, but seller has the hoses connected to the remote on his tractor and raised/lowered the dump with that. Did some testing and found the switch for the pump was bad. When I bypassed it with the battery cable the pump ran and pumped out fluid. So I ordered a new switch, cleaned out the tank and put fresh universal tractor hydraulic/transmission fluid it in from fleet farm. I power it up, the pump runs but dump doesn't move. I removed the hose from the pump and power it up to see which port fluid comes out. Got it. Now connect the hoses one at a time to the remote on my tractor to verify which powers the dump up. Got it. Match up the ports and hoses and the dump still doesn't go up. Did a little more searching and found other pumps are requiring something else, like AW 32.

I'm guessing not, but would changing out the fluid allow the pump to properly power the dump?

/ Dump trailer pump questions #2  
My Maxum dump trailer uses ATF in the pump. Cheap and easy to find. I can't see why you couldnt use hydraulic fluid. I would look for a relief valve on the pump being stuck or something like that.

Good luck

/ Dump trailer pump questions
I didn't think about the relief valve being stuck. The pump is lever operated, pull the lever down and it engages the pump via switch. Pull it up and it pushes a rod into the housing for the relief. Any ideas on how to "loosen" the relief valve?

/ Dump trailer pump questions #4  
It's either the relief valve, a motor/pump coupling, or a pump that's actually not building enough pressure.

Have you checked the pressure with a gauge?

Fluid type has nothing to do with it. Water would work in a pinch!

It's either the relief valve, a motor/pump coupling, or a pump that's actually not building enough pressure.

Have you checked the pressure with a gauge?

Fluid type has nothing to do with it. Water would work in a pinch!

I have not checked with a gauge. When I ran it with the hose off, the fluid pumped out like how you would set a garden hose for washing your hands. It wasn't a high flow rate like I would have expected, but I don't really have any experience with these either.

I just called my tractor dealer $30 to $50 for them to test the pressure. I'm not sure that I want to spend another $50 on this unit and I'd rather put that money to something new.

/ Dump trailer pump questions #7  
Getting a replacement pump and battery would be the better option as it sounds as
if the dump trailer you bought has seen a lot of wear.

A battery powered pump usually has a pendent control cable. this is how my MAXUM 2 ton dump
trailer is set up. the deep cycle batteries last a long time as long as you keep them charged up.

Getting a replacement pump and battery would be the better option as it sounds as
if the dump trailer you bought has seen a lot of wear.

A battery powered pump usually has a pendent control cable. this is how my MAXUM 2 ton dump
trailer is set up. the deep cycle batteries last a long time as long as you keep them charged up.

Yesterday afternoon I order a MAXUM power unit and 1.5 amp charger (plug extension cord into it). I already have a couple deep cycle batteries. I ordered from Bailey Hydraulics, but was having issues on their website processing my order. So I called it in and they gave me a 15% discount because they were having website problems.

/ Dump trailer pump questions #9  
Baileys are great folks, they have saved me money and helped me far and beyond what was called for several times!