Is Your Ford Explorer Making You Sick?

/ Is Your Ford Explorer Making You Sick? #2  
That's an odd one. Lots of complaints saying they smell fumes, and that equals carbon monoxide poisoning, right? But not a single report of anyone using a carbon monoxide detector that shows an elevated level. There must be some out there if there are lawsuits. Surely an attorney would have tests proving fault before they filed suit.

/ Is Your Ford Explorer Making You Sick? #4  
   / Is Your Ford Explorer Making You Sick? #5  
Both my 2013 and my 2015 Ford Explorers had major exhaust leaks into the vehicle. Don't know why Ford has not fixed the problem when making the new ones.

/ Is Your Ford Explorer Making You Sick? #6  
Could it be a result of the after-market equipment installation in police vehicles causing the issue? I don't have any idea just throwing out something.

My nephew is an LEO in Lakewood, Ohio and has a new Explorer police vehicle and he doesn't have an issue. If this issue is related to departments, then after-market could be the cause.

/ Is Your Ford Explorer Making You Sick? #7  
Ford said it is related to changes departments are doing with aftermarket equipment. They even have TSBs outlining ways to avoid leaks when you alter the gaskets and sealing materials while installing aftermarket items. But there are others who have problems without alterations so I'd say there is an issue, but it is made much worse when altering their seals.
It still seems odd no one has noted the actual CO levels found inside the cars. That would be the smoking gun.

/ Is Your Ford Explorer Making You Sick? #8  
Really so that is their reason for the exhaust leaks in the engine compartment and catalytic converters. They don't change the converters. They just apply some goop to them to seal them up. They stink for about 2 weeks when they do this. You can hear a slight exhaust leak when they have this issue. It does not sound like a exhaust manifold leak nor a straight exhaust leak. If the vehicle is moving you don't notice the problem, when stopped that's when you notice the smell. I have seen numerous complaints from non police package explorers too.

/ Is Your Ford Explorer Making You Sick? #9  
Wife's 2017 is ok. Did the WOT a few times to check.

/ Is Your Ford Explorer Making You Sick? #10  
My interceptor has it's moments where it smells like raw fuel. The dealer said not to idle longer than stopped at a light. I usually leave my windows cracked due to several instance where I felt sick.