Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers #1  

Monster5601

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 R4 Tires
Looking for advice regarding the various brands of hydraulic dump trailers, specifically a 16-foot low profile in either bumper pull or goose neck. I'll be pulling with a one-ton diesel pickup.

Brands to stay away from, brands you would recommend?

Usages are topsoil/fill dirt, mulch, gravel, landscaping rocks, and my tractor (B3030 TLB). Mostly for personal use and lending neighborly help.

Thanks in advance for your information.

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers #2  
Looking for advice regarding the various brands of hydraulic dump trailers, specifically a 16-foot low profile in either bumper pull or goose neck. I'll be pulling with a one-ton diesel pickup.

Brands to stay away from, brands you would recommend?

Usages are topsoil/fill dirt, mulch, gravel, landscaping rocks, and my tractor (B3030 TLB). Mostly for personal use and lending neighborly help.

Thanks in advance for your information.

Ld1 had a thread about a brand to stay away from. I think it was forest river (mainly rv builders). I would recommend the GN and be sure it has the 7-8k axles under it. They can get overloaded quick

Brett

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers
Ld1 had a thread about a brand to stay away from. I think it was forest river (mainly rv builders). I would recommend the GN and be sure it has the 7-8k axles under it. They can get overloaded quick

Brett

Why the gooseneck? If I get the bumper pull I can pull the dump with the tractor in areas the pickup wouldn't survive on my property. I'm wondering what the advantage of the goose-neck is over the bumper pull. I'm focusing on a dump with 14K GVWR.

I did read LD1's Forsestriver nightmare thread, the takeaway, do not assume a recognizable brand name equals quality and functionality.

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers #4  
Depending on the hitch rating a gooseneck can generally tow more (when talking about the tow rating of the vehicle hitch) nowadays some of the trucks have a class V 2-1/2" reciever and that can negate this but a few years ago tow ratings between traditional hitch vs goose, the goose was always higher rated. The turning radius of the goose is far superior.
That said a goose will be heavier and take up a bit more room. They make 3point goose adapters for your 3 point so you can move them either way with your tractor. Not sure the weight rating on them though.

As far as brand this seems to differ greatly by location. Always get a little extra if you can. I'm not a huge fan of dumps for soil/stone/rock (it's amazing how heavy this material is and how little you can actually move at one time), yes they work but for the time and effort you can usually get a local dump truck to handle it for less. Now if you have the time and just like having and using equipment they sure are awesome.

Buy the biggest axles you can swing, make sure they are an easy lube style.
Check what coating/paint they use and warranty.
Check the tires and make sure they are quality (a big cost cutter on the cheaper versions)
Check the thickness of the deck and frame members
I'm a fan of power down models, some are gravity and that can be a pain.
Type of cylinder scissor vs dual
Gate type (3 way spreader, simple swing, etc)
Ramps and equipment package?
I can tell you if you get ramps I'd shoot for some that store to the rear under the trailer. Mine are high mounted on the sides and while I've always been strong and in shape I absolutely cannot stand using the ramps.
Anyway just a few thoughts, I'm sure you had considered them. Best of luck, Rye.

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers #5  
Depending on the hitch rating a gooseneck can generally tow more (when talking about the tow rating of the vehicle hitch) nowadays some of the trucks have a class V 2-1/2" reciever and that can negate this but a few years ago tow ratings between traditional hitch vs goose, the goose was always higher rated. The turning radius of the goose is far superior.
That said a goose will be heavier and take up a bit more room. They make 3point goose adapters for your 3 point so you can move them either way with your tractor. Not sure the weight rating on them though.

As far as brand this seems to differ greatly by location. Always get a little extra if you can. I'm not a huge fan of dumps for soil/stone/rock (it's amazing how heavy this material is and how little you can actually move at one time), yes they work but for the time and effort you can usually get a local dump truck to handle it for less. Now if you have the time and just like having and using equipment they sure are awesome.

Buy the biggest axles you can swing, make sure they are an easy lube style.
Check what coating/paint they use and warranty.
Check the tires and make sure they are quality (a big cost cutter on the cheaper versions)
Check the thickness of the deck and frame members
I'm a fan of power down models, some are gravity and that can be a pain.
Type of cylinder scissor vs dual
Gate type (3 way spreader, simple swing, etc)
Ramps and equipment package?
I can tell you if you get ramps I'd shoot for some that store to the rear under the trailer. Mine are high mounted on the sides and while I've always been strong and in shape I absolutely cannot stand using the ramps.
Anyway just a few thoughts, I'm sure you had considered them. Best of luck, Rye.

Great info

Why the gooseneck? If I get the bumper pull I can pull the dump with the tractor in areas the pickup wouldn't survive on my property. I'm wondering what the advantage of the goose-neck is over the bumper pull. I'm focusing on a dump with 14K GVWR.

I did read LD1's Forsestriver nightmare thread, the takeaway, do not assume a recognizable brand name equals quality and functionality.

Gooseneck pull better and ride better. Also able to turn much sharper. For my setup, I have a 14' dump with high sides. Easily load 7 yards of dirt and run and hyd line from the tractor to the cylinder and have quick cycle times. Bought a 3pt trailer mover with GN ball on top. Easy peasy. Makes it nice to be able to lift the hitch depending on the terrain instead of it being solid mounted to the draw bar.

Brett

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers #6  
I have a PJ 14' low pro. Their quality control department must have had been on vacation when mine was built. The powder coat finish is peeling off. I previously had a 12' PJ dump for 10 yrs that held up quite well. I'm seriously considering unloading this PJ once summer is over and buying either Load Trail or Lamar.

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers #7  
Stay away from powder coated trailers.

I am a bumper pull guy. GN limits your tow vehicle too much.

We have had a 14' 14K Bri-Mar dump for 10 plus years. Its a BP and has been behind everything from an Expedition to a F350.

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers #8  
Stay away from powder coated trailers.

I am a bumper pull guy. GN limits your tow vehicle too much.

We have had a 14' 14K Bri-Mar dump for 10 plus years. Its a BP and has been behind everything from an Expedition to a F350.

More importantly it limits who asks to borrow it. There's a reason all I have is goosenecks

Brett

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers #9  
More importantly it limits who asks to borrow it. There's a reason all I have is goosenecks

Brett
Man up and just say no.

I did this a couple of months ago with my 10' trailer. His response was "why, its just a trailer".

Yes, its mine! Was my response.

/ Brand advise, hydraulic dump trailers #10  
Man up and just say no.

I did this a couple of months ago with my 10' trailer. His response was "why, its just a trailer".

Yes, its mine! Was my response.

Haha. I've finally done that with my new deckover. $17k trailer that weights 10k unloaded is not one im going to let people borrow. It stays inside my shop away from the sun. Several friends are already butt hurt over not being able to use it. On my last deck over guys would secure their load by using screws thru the deck??? WTH? Atleast ask first

I've been so burnt lately letting people borrow stuff that this rental yard is closed with the exception of a few that genuinely return it better than they got it

Brett