Trailer Axle capacity

/ Trailer Axle capacity #1  

overhaulin

Tractor
1026R
I am looking at buying a trailer that has these wheels that look like Daytons, but the owner says the trailer does not have a spec tag on it and is not sure what the capacity the axles would be. Can anyone help me figure out what capacity these axles might be based on the wheels design?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Trailer wheels.JPG

Attachments

• trailer axle.JPG
    trailer axle.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 394
   / Trailer Axle capacity #2  
Those Dayton's look the same to me. You need to get under the trailer and measure the axle diameter to determine axle capacity. If they are 2-3/8" diameter they have a 3500# capacity. These are very common. If they have a 3" diameter they will be rated for 6K-7.2K. I purchased a 3 axle trailer last year that has 6K axles.

/ Trailer Axle capacity #3  
Typical Axle Ratings Based on Axle Diameter | etrailer.com

Here's a breakdown on typical axle weight ratings based on axle diameter:

1,000-lb - 2,000-lb Axles: 1-1/2" - 1-3/4" diameter
3,500-lb Axles: 2-3/8" diameter (Can have a 3-1/2" diameter, but rarely)
6,000-lb - 7,200-lb Axles: 3" diameter
8,000-lb Axles: 3-1/2" diameter
9,000 lb Axles: 4" diameter
10,000-lb Or more axles: 5" diameter

Bruce

/ Trailer Axle capacity #4  
Are those trailer house axles?

Brett

/ Trailer Axle capacity #5  
If those are 14.5" it is likely Mobile home axles. Usually rated around 6k. Usually not great axles, tires are expensive and the brakes have thin lining.

/ Trailer Axle capacity #6  
Most of the time they are house trailer axles. Dexter does make fully serviceable trailer axles with the clamp on spoke wheels and hubs. You can tell by inspection. The brakes on house trailer axles are riveted on with a backing plate that is welded. Fully serviceable axles will have backing plates that bolt on. Still lots of home made trailers running around here with house trailer axles performing quite fine. The trailer that I bought last year has fully serviceable axles. They are referred to as UTG axles.

/ Trailer Axle capacity #7  
If those are 14.5" it is likely Mobile home axles. Usually rated around 6k. Usually not great axles, tires are expensive and the brakes have thin lining.
Those are going to be 14.5 tires but most likely not mobile home axles as it looks like a manudactured trailer.
Typically those axles were rated for 6k lbs although there were some variations, as stated axle tube diameter will give you an idea.

Check if the backing plates for the brakes are bolted on, if they are welded then you most likely have mobile home axles, if they are bolted you're good to go.
Standard brake components for a 6k axle will work. Make sure the tires have a dot number and don't just say "Mobile Home use Only".
Decent brand 8-14.5 tires go for around $80-100 here so usually a little less then equal capacity even sized wheel tires.

I have 2 trailers with 14.5, they aren't my favorite but they are heavy duty and have served me well. Biggest issue is they have a tendency to ride a little rougher and usually have a speed where they vibrate.

/ Trailer Axle capacity
You are correct it was a purpose built equipment trailer. The seller says it has a 17' deck but I am guessing it is really 16'.

Sorry, I should have included a picture of the trailer.Tilt Trailer.JPG

/ Trailer Axle capacity #9  
I would bet 6k, even my dad's 3k rated trailer with the dayton axle has a 6k axle rating.

That's a pretty cool trailer, was it built for a scissor lift or skid steer etc.?

/ Trailer Axle capacity #10  
That is a really nice equipment trailer. I would bet money they are 6K axles and fully serviceable.

My wife and I took a 600 mile round trip to Richmond Friday a week ago in my home made inherited 10x5 trailer. It has to my knowledge mobile home axles. Never had an issue with it. We did have the bearings repacked a few years ago along with putting on new rubber. I actually found a new 14 ply tire and rim off of Amazon mounted for $80 as a spare. Not bad in my opinion.