Brake controller install

/ Brake controller install #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I am planning on installing a brake controller on my 2013 Toyota Sienna. When I had the van wired they brought the brake and 12V lines up under the dash. The 12V line is tied into the line feeding a fuse box under the dash. The brake line is just waiting for the controller to be attached. When I install the brake controller can I tap into the same 12V line feeding the fuse box or do I need to run that line directly to the battery? I am hoping to find a screw under the dash I can connect the ground to.

/ Brake controller install #2  
Everyone I've installed said to run a minimum of 12 gauge wire directly to the battery, or if you tapped into another always hot line, to make sure that it was supplied with a 12 gauge wire.
You'll have four wires on the controller, the black wire goes to the battery or 12 volt source (should have a 20 amp breaker hooked up), the the blue wire goes to the trailer plug for the brakes, red is tapped into your stoplight switch on the brake pedal and white goes to a good ground.

Visit Etrailer dot com and look at their diagrams.

If the van already had a factory tow package, they may have just plugged a proper kit into the panel under the dash

/ Brake controller install #3  
With the loads of a brake controller and all the things that can go wrong with chassis grounds, I think running an independent ground wire back to the battery is worthwhile. That's what I did when I installed a brake controller and had zero problems. I did wire from the fuse box but mine was under the hood and I wired from the hot side where I had a large supply wire from the battery. I protected the brake and charging wires with circuit breakers.

/ Brake controller install #4  
It needs its own separate power of appropriate size.

/ Brake controller install
I guess I will try running the power lines through the firewall. The grommets now look form fitting so I was hesitant to try to fish the lines through the existing holes. The power line to the fuse box under the dash is huge compared to the 12V and brake line running back to the trailer connector. It is tucked up under the dash pretty far so it would be a pain to connect to. So running the lines to the battery might actually be easier.

/ Brake controller install #6  
Power and ground direct to battery, w/ a appropriate fuse AT THE BATTERY - you want that sucka to always work for safety purposes, don't rely on light gauge existing wiring and a fuse box connection.

And, be sure to put a break-a-way switch and BATTERY on the trailer - most states don't require - if you go to a state that does and don't have, not good, and if it breaks away it's a killer unless it's stops itself!

/ Brake controller install #7  
When I put mine on my F-150, I bought a harness pigtail for the controller that plugged into the middle of another harness already under the dash. It was very easy.

/ Brake controller install
I have ordered the brake controller and looked at the battery terminals. The positive terminal has an extra wire attached via a bolt. I figured I could use the same bolt to attach the brake controller. The negative side of the battery only has the pinch bolt to hold the wire on the terminal. Do I try attaching the ground to the pinch bolt or is there a better way to attach the ground? Should I use 10ga or 12ga wire? I have also heard to use a resettable breaker instead of a standard fuse. Doing an internet search has left me a little confused. Can someone show me what they use or a link?

/ Brake controller install #9  
I have ordered the brake controller and looked at the battery terminals. The positive terminal has an extra wire attached via a bolt. I figured I could use the same bolt to attach the brake controller. The negative side of the battery only has the pinch bolt to hold the wire on the terminal. Do I try attaching the ground to the pinch bolt or is there a better way to attach the ground? Should I use 10ga or 12ga wire? I have also heard to use a resettable breaker instead of a standard fuse. Doing an internet search has left me a little confused. Can someone show me what they use or a link?
I would attach the ground to where the main Chassis Ground attaches coming off the negative battery terminal.

/ Brake controller install #10  
My 05 tundra came prewired. I just plugged into the pigtail