Dump trailer charger

/ Dump trailer charger #1  

CrashmanS

Tractor
Kubota Bx-25
I'm looking for an on board battery charger to use on the deep cycle battery in my new dump trailer. I want on that is waterproof and permanent install so I can just open the cover and plug in the cord. Any suggestions? I see some that are 4 amp and one that is 10 amp.

/ Dump trailer charger
Here it is.
b812bcd18daa92ce948bb485e1b3876d.jpg

/ Dump trailer charger #3  
My 20 year old dump trailer needs the same charging system.

20150707_184042_zpscwdyaeae.jpg

A trickle charger will not help, if you use the trailer much,,,
I think I would need a 40-50 amp charger, if I am dumping more than four 5,000 pound loads a day.
A second battery might be better than a big charger? I don't have a great answer.

/ Dump trailer charger #4  
An automatic charger (4 amp is good) that will shut down to a trickle charge will work fine to maintain the battery if you don't use the trailer much. I use a solar charger to keep mine topped off then it charges when I plug it into the truck. My truck will recharge the battery between loads.

On a side note, it looks like your tri ball hitch is tilted down quite a bit. Is your truck hitch bent? Also check the rating on that tri ball. Some are not rated to carry much weight.

/ Dump trailer charger
An automatic charger (4 amp is good) that will shut down to a trickle charge will work fine to maintain the battery if you don't use the trailer much. I use a solar charger to keep mine topped off then it charges when I plug it into the truck. My truck will recharge the battery between loads.

On a side note, it looks like your tri ball hitch is tilted down quite a bit. Is your truck hitch bent? Also check the rating on that tri ball. Some are not rated to carry much weight.
It's a buyers 10,000 hitch. Like the picture below. It has drop because of play in all the pins and recievers when added together. I have some many trailers that it has been the only hitch that can do them all.
005a62ce10d1387c5bfc8fc6d354a34a.jpg

/ Dump trailer charger #7  
That hitch is killer. I sometimes haul three different hitches around because my truck is 4x4 so I need various drop. And all of them are 2". Now back to charging your battery. Fast charging ruin's batteries so you should recharge as slow as possible,esp when bat is badly discharged. There is no better charger on the market better than those by Deltran. I own 2 that are busy 365 days. They will not overcharge so I leave them hooked to trailers, tractors,utv,lawn tractor and spare truck for days at a time. I credit the Deltran Battery Tenders with remarkably extending the life of my batteries. Most trucks that came with tow package from factory protect wireing and fuse from overload while dumping. If your truck came with 7 way plug,chances are it will charge battery between dumps and protect while dumping. If you do not have 7 way with overload protect,you should have it installed. I have one truck that I put 7 way on and it charged between dump but blowed fuse unless unplugged while dumping. I rigged up a double pole double throw relay inside tongue box that disconnect's hot wire to truck when dump motor run's. I dug the winch ingagement wires out on my trucks and hooked them to a toggle switch so I can put truck on high idle while out of truck. If I'm short tripping,the high idle is handy while out of cab fueling(diesel)eating lunch,grabbing a snack ect.

/ Dump trailer charger #8  
I'm looking for an on board battery charger to use on the deep cycle battery in my new dump trailer. I want on that is waterproof and permanent install so I can just open the cover and plug in the cord. Any suggestions? I see some that are 4 amp and one that is 10 amp.

Get a marine grade one.

With that being said leaving it plugged in 24/7 will eventually boil the battery. A maintenance type charger will not but will not recover a depleted battery fully like a charger will.

/ Dump trailer charger #9  
Get a marine grade one.

With that being said leaving it plugged in 24/7 will eventually boil the battery. A maintenance type charger will not but will not recover a depleted battery fully like a charger will.
A Deltran Power Pro;
Does 4-step fully automatic charging ( qualification,20 amp bulk charge, absorption, float) I have owned two for over ten years,leave them connected to everything from dual battery diesels to lawn tractor and utv for weeks at a time and never boiled a single battery yet.
Is waterproof,vibration and shock resistant,charges any type battery,weighs 9 pounds and carry's 2 year warranty

/ Dump trailer charger #10  
I don't know who makes the chargers for CAM Superline, but my dump trailer has been plugged in 24/7 all summer for the 5 years I've had it and the NAPA battery that came with the trailer is still working just fine.
In the winter months I remove it and just top it up every few weeks with a Pro Logix. SOLAR PL232 6-12V 2-1-2 Amp Intelligent Battery Charger-Maintainer