Previous generation GM trucks vs current GM and Tundra

/ Previous generation GM trucks vs current GM and Tundra #1  

tlj87

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4700, Kubota BX2370-1, Kubota RTV1140CPX, Kubota F3060, Club Car Precedent
We have an '07 Silverado NBS 1500 4.8L 4x4 ext. cab 6.5' bed which we bought used in early 2013 with 65k mi. I am meticulous when it comes to maintaining my equipment mechanically and cosmetically. This vehicle was very clean and appeared to be well maintained. We (wife and I) have not been particularly impressed with this truck. The 4.8L is pretty anemic, particularly when towing or hauling, although this is not the fault of the truck, as the 5.3 was an option and probably would have better suited us. While the seats and ride are generally quite comfortable, we seem to be fixing something all the time. We've replaced the front brakes twice, back brakes once, one front hub/bearing assembly, all four ball joints, power steering cooler and lines, fuel pump/filter/gasket assembly, air bag sensor, tire pressure sensors, leaf spring (broken), brake pedal switch, radiator (crack in plastic), fuel cap, exhaust hanger, and front door speakers. The dimpled nut came off the passengers side tie-rod end a couple of weeks ago and made for a wild ride (luckily I was driving and not my wife with the horse trailer attached), so we replaced both tie rod ends and had the front shocks replaced too, followed by an alignment. This is all in addition to PM that we've had done including changing fluid in the front/rear diffs, x-fer case, transmission, new plugs, wires, etc. around 100k mi. The latch for the upper glove box is now inoperable and needs to be replaced. The interior rattles (mostly the door panels). The exterior is in excellent shape, there was no rust when we bought it and I've had Fluid Film applied each fall and also wax the exterior, so I haven't had to do any rust related body repairs to date.

I am wondering how the current 14+ GM 1/2 ton trucks are in terms of build quality and reliability? I know, none of them are 10 years old yet, but are the improved over the 07-13 version (or were they generally OK)? We've had a couple of Toyota RAV4's and they've been great, just PM stuff and tires. Should I just look at the Toyota Tundra? I'm hoping we've addressed most of the problems in our current truck (112k mi) and can run it another 2-3 years to about 150k mi, but who know what will happen next?

Last edited:
   / Previous generation GM trucks vs current GM and Tundra #2  
I bought a new 20l4 tundra and my brother bought a new Silverado at the same time. His went back to the dealer 4 times in the first 6 months. My Tundra has been flawless. I bought the Tundra because of it's known dependability and longevity. Forget 150k miles. I know several people who have well over 300k trouble free miles. Only normal maintenance performed on them. It costs a bit more up front but you can drive it and forget it. Mine has been the best vehicle I've ever had. I had an older GMC truck with very similar variety of problems like you had. Never again.

/ Previous generation GM trucks vs current GM and Tundra #3  
Avoid the oil guzzlin afm GM - grab a 5.7 Tundra.

/ Previous generation GM trucks vs current GM and Tundra #5  
We have an '07 Silverado NBS 1500 4.8L 4x4 ext. cab 6.5' bed which we bought used in early 2013 with 65k mi. I am meticulous when it comes to maintaining my equipment mechanically and cosmetically. This vehicle was very clean and appeared to be well maintained. We (wife and I) have not been particularly impressed with this truck. The 4.8L is pretty anemic, particularly when towing or hauling, although this is not the fault of the truck, as the 5.3 was an option and probably would have better suited us. While the seats and ride are generally quite comfortable, we seem to be fixing something all the time. We've replaced the front brakes twice, back brakes once, all four ball joints, power steering cooler and lines, fuel pump/filter/gasket assembly, air bag sensor, tire pressure sensors, leaf spring (broken), brake pedal switch, radiator (crack in plastic), fuel cap, exhaust hanger, and front door speakers. The dimpled nut came off the passengers side tie-rod end a couple of weeks ago and made for a wild ride (luckily I was driving and not my wife with the horse trailer attached), so we replaced both tie rod ends and had the front shocks replaced too, followed by an alignment. This is all in addition to PM that we've had done including changing fluid in the front/rear diffs, x-fer case, transmission, new plugs, wires, etc. around 100k mi. The latch for the upper glove box is now inoperable and needs to be replaced. The interior rattles (mostly the door panels). The exterior is in excellent shape, there was no rust when we bought it and I've had Fluid Film applied each fall and also wax the exterior, so I haven't had to do any rust related body repairs to date.

I am wondering how the current 14+ GM 1/2 ton trucks are in terms of build quality and reliability? I know, none of them are 10 years old yet, but are the improved over the 07-13 version (or were they generally OK)? We've had a couple of Toyota RAV4's and they've been great, just PM stuff and tires. Should I just look at the Toyota Tundra? I'm hoping we've addressed most of the problems in our current truck (112k mi) and can run it another 2-3 years to about 150k mi, but who know what will happen next?

Your experience is exactly what mine has been with GM's. I had 4, a 89, a 99, a 04, and a 05. All left me very disappointed with the exception of the 04 but it still was a nickel and dimer'.

With that said the company I work for has about 250 trucks on the road. About 75 to 100 of them are 2013 and newer 1500 series and 3500 SRW GM trucks and we seem to not have any real issues.

We also have about 150 Ford F150's, F350 dually, F 450's, and F550's all 2013 and newer. We have about 6 Dodges of which 5 are 1500's and one 5500. None give us any major issues.

Since my run of GM's I have ran Fords and Nissans. Not a single issue with any of them, 7 trucks in all.

Chris

/ Previous generation GM trucks vs current GM and Tundra #8  
I had Ford, Chevy and Dodge trucks all at the same time...

The Chevys have been the best by far, the Dodge has been the worst by far (electrical problems)...

The ford had a rear end leak from new, the puter would turn the interior lights on every once in a while (at night) and leave me with a dead batt in the morning. Ford never could fix these problems... It had sensor issues, but Ford did fix those... No matter, I got sick of dealing with it and it's gone!

It seems there's NO right answer to what pu is best. My friend bought a Toyota, after it was out of warr. he had problems with it and eventually, sent it down the road!

My neighbor buys Chevys, he's a hay farmer, always buys half tons and pulls BIG loads of hay, he never has problems with his Chevys...

You spends yer money and takes yer chances! BUT, MY money is staying with Chevys...

SR

/ Previous generation GM trucks vs current GM and Tundra #9  
I have an 07 that I bought new. It has 435,000 miles. I've done the engine once and the transmission twice. Brakes a couple of times, a little work on the front diff, nothing on the transfer case and I've never even checked the oil in the rear diff. The first engine was an oil burner and the motor company wouldn't help. I did get 260,000 miles out of the engine but I burned a 55 gallon drum of oil getting there. I'm not including the oil used at changes, just what got burned.

I just bought a new truck last month. I did end up buying another Silverado with the 5.3. So far, so good. In addition to AFM this engine also had VVT which caused lots of problems in the ford 5.4. Hard to imagine this engine, with the added complexity of the VVT will be any better than my 07 engine but I took the gamble.

I do think the Silverados ride better than the other brands. I also spent about 5K less than I would have spent on a Ford with 5.0 and similar trim package. I am getting over 20 mpg on the highway which seems outstanding for a full size truck.

Another consideration is that the Chevy is easier to work on than the F150. An engine change on the ford requires removal of the cab and the Chevy can come out the front. The Chevy engine and transmission are also cheaper than the Ford replacements.

/ Previous generation GM trucks vs current GM and Tundra #10  
If you want reliability, go with the Tundra. Like oldpilgrim said, you won't have all the small annoying problems cropping up that cause trips back to the dealer.

Million Mile Tundra: The Tear Down