The older I get washing & waxing ..

/ The older I get washing & waxing .. #1  

coobie

Tractor
Kubota RTV 1100c, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .
Why does it seem the older I get washing and waxing my 3/4 ton ram pickup feels like its big as a whale.LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 304
   / The older I get washing & waxing .. #2  
Because it is I used to always have clean vehicles until we moved to our current house. It's on a dirt road 1.5 miles from pavement so it's like fighting a loosing battle. One trip down the road and they are covered in dust. Now I just hit the auto car wash once a week to get a layer off.

/ The older I get washing & waxing .. #4  
Living below my means prior to retirement now allows me to take each of my vehicles (Toyota Tundra and Honda Pilot) to a car wash once a month without a sense of guilt.:) I get the Full Service Premier Wash and it sets me back about $37/vehicle after my senior discount and tip. Money well spent in my book.

Services1400.jpg

Steve

/ The older I get washing & waxing .. #5  
Cleaning it, is necessary. Waxing isn't.

You can save yourself a lot of trouble, by eliminating the later.

Modern automotive finishes do not require wax to seal them.

Modern waxes generally contain little more than silicone, and mostly lack any ingredients to clean the paint.

Cleaning the paint is what is important. Clean it, with a clay bar and soapy water, and apply a paint cleaner like a Meguiars Deep Crystal polish, or Meguiars Cleaner Wax, (ignore the name, it's just a mild polish), as necessary. These products will remove minor oxidation, and wear. Skip the final step, which is the wax.

There are lots of other good products out there to do this with.

If you are not doing the deep cleaning before waxing, you are neglecting the part that really matters, and not actually doing anything more than applying some silicone, while the pollution, and dulling wear builds up.

When you learn to use the above products, you can periodically go over it, and properly maintain your finish, without ever killing yourself.

/ The older I get washing & waxing ..

Modern waxes generally contain little more than silicone, and mostly lack any ingredients to clean the paint.

Cleaning the paint is what is important. Clean it, with a clay bar and soapy water, and apply a paint cleaner like a Meguiars Deep Crystal polish, or Meguiars Cleaner Wax, (ignore the name, it's just a mild polish), as necessary. These products will remove minor oxidation, and wear. Skip the final step, which is the wax.

If you are not doing the deep cleaning before waxing, you are neglecting the part that really matters, and not actually doing anything more than applying some silicone, while the pollution, and dulling wear builds up.

When you learn to use the above products, you can periodically go over it, and properly maintain your finish, without ever killing yourself.
I clay bar it once a year.Oh the pain...Old school I guess always wax it..

Last edited:
   / The older I get washing & waxing .. #7  
I clay bar it once a year.Oh the pain...Old school I guess always wax it..

Clay bar shouldn't be a lot of work. Are you using soapy water with it?

/ The older I get washing & waxing .. #8  
I don't wash or wax my truck. It's three years old now. I do wipe off bird crap as soon as I see it, as that stuff will hurt the clear coat in no time. I guess I picked a good color -- gray/green -- as it sure doesn't ever look dirty.

My daughter (age 4) keeps asking if she can wash the truck, so I may turn her loose on it one of these days, but given her size and the size of the truck, it will probably only get cleaned from about 3.5' on down.

/ The older I get washing & waxing .. #9  
I've never not washed/waxed my vehicles...

Even when my one and only new car came with complimentary wash with included service I wouldn't let the dealer touch it.

Guess it comes from painting and restoring classic and antique cars... just too particular.

Most are decent when it comes to the body but murder on alloy wheels... which most have a painted finish and a lot of the spray and wash wheel cleaners are **** on the paint.

/ The older I get washing & waxing .. #10  

I'm sorry, thats some of the worst advice I've ever seen on a forum.

Modern paint finishes are indeed supposed to protect the color from fading, and yes you should polish and clay to maintain maximum gloss. However, the sealant or wax final coat is paramount to the health and overall appearance of the paint surface. Not only does it help in keeping the paint clean, it protects from outside contaminates such as bird poo, dirt, acid rain, metal particles etc.

Please, along with a good clay and polish, always wax or seal for a final coat.