When to go gooseneck

/ When to go gooseneck #11  
I personally do not like goosenecks. I had one and the loss of bed space plus not be able to pull it with my SUVs made it very limited on how I could use it.

Something to think about?

/ When to go gooseneck #12  
Once you go GN you will never go back!
100% agree I know diamond don't like them and I understand that. But I really like being able to haul whatever I want and with construction and farm work there have been several times I was at max weight on the trailer axles 16000+ and truck felt fine.

On a side note I rented a ball hitch dump and at 11,000lbs trailer and load it was a white knuckle ride w/ my f350 which I made several trips over 2 days and decided never again.

I also like being able to put the tractor loader on the neck if I need more room. As for bed space if I don't put stuff in the bed all I have to do is unhook the trailer and I am done unloading.

/ When to go gooseneck #13  
Gooseneck all the way. After some practice, hook-up is a 2 minute deal.

/ When to go gooseneck #14  
Goose necks are great but you have to keep in mind the DOT regulations in each state. Sometimes a trailer rated are more then 10k can require additional things like DOT physicals, DOT inspections, log books, etc and it really can get interesting if you drive across state lines.

I've lived in places where things are pretty relaxed and seen others where the highway patrol constantly hassles pickups pulling big trailers like that.

/ When to go gooseneck #15  
I have owned both, no question about it; GN is the way to go. IMHO

/ When to go gooseneck #16  
Why do you need safety chain? I do not have safety chain on my 5th wheel... Why is the gooseneck different with safety chains?

You need safety chains because a gooseneck is still a ball-hitch. A 5th wheel uses a kingpin, which is viewed as robust enough that safety chains are not required. This probably originated with semi-truck size fifth wheel hitches, but carries down to pickup/rv sized hitches too. If you convert your 5-er to a gooseneck, then you are also supposed to have safety chains... But who's going to know unless you get stopped, or something bad happens...

I will admit that I don't always hook up my gooseneck safety chains... Generally, there is enough tongue weight that if it somehow manages to come unlatched (which is highly unlikely with the hitch I have...) it still won't lift off the ball, even over the roughest roads. If I encounter terrain rough enough to toss it off the ball, I'm also going to have a bent axle, a bent truck, and a hole down through the bed where the neck landed, which kinda makes the chains moot IMO...

/ When to go gooseneck #17  
The difference in how they tow is night and day. As others have said once you pull with a gooseneck you won't want to pull a decent load with a bumper pull.

/ When to go gooseneck #18  
If you were going to buy a trailer, at what point do you decide to put out the extra money for a gooseneck? I'm looking to buy a 14k trailer, which is more than what I need for the tractors and cars that I'll transport. But, I'd like to have the option of transporting a friend's tractory, which is a Mahindra mPower 85. Tractor and loader combined weigh 9,160 pounds. Ideally, I could get by without a gooseneck, but I'm looking for opinions from more experienced people. The tow vehicle is a 2016 3500HD Chevy with the long wheelbase of crewcab and 8' bed.

The answer to your post question is YESTERDAY! :)

/ When to go gooseneck #19  
I have both. I prefer pulling the GN. Just keep in mind a GN trailer is considerably heavier than a bumper hitch. This actually reduces the net weight you can haul.

My GN 20K 28+4 dual wheel trailer weighs 6840lbs.

/ When to go gooseneck #20  
I have both. I prefer pulling the GN. Just keep in mind a GN trailer is considerably heavier than a bumper hitch. This actually reduces the net weight you can haul.

My GN 20K 28+4 dual wheel trailer weighs 6840lbs.

Yes and no. My 2001 F-250 is rated to tow 10K bumper pull and almost 14k gooseneck, yes the gooseneck weighs 500 lbs more, so I can tow minus the extra weight 3500 more lbs. but yes there are some trucks that cannot tow more via gooseneck then bumper. Like the Ford F-150. If it's rated for 11,500 bumper than it can tow 11,500 gooseneck. So you lose 500 lbs due to heavier trailer.