When to go gooseneck

/ When to go gooseneck #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
If you were going to buy a trailer, at what point do you decide to put out the extra money for a gooseneck? I'm looking to buy a 14k trailer, which is more than what I need for the tractors and cars that I'll transport. But, I'd like to have the option of transporting a friend's tractory, which is a Mahindra mPower 85. Tractor and loader combined weigh 9,160 pounds. Ideally, I could get by without a gooseneck, but I'm looking for opinions from more experienced people. The tow vehicle is a 2016 3500HD Chevy with the long wheelbase of crewcab and 8' bed.

/ When to go gooseneck #2  
As easy as GN balls are to put in and take out the excuse about not having a flat bed anymore are mute. I recommend a GN for prolly anything over 10k. They are all I have. However, I'm fixing to get a little 16' 7k bumper pull for my rtv and zero turn. They are light and cheap. My big GN deckover I use for my tractor weights 10k empty. However, they pull great, easy to back and I think are easier on the truck

Brett

/ When to go gooseneck #3  
I agree with Rusty. A good rule of thumb is 10k, my 24' tilt-deck GN weighs just over 5k and it rides much better than my old 24' bumper pull. Especially when the load is awkward and can't be positioned just right. You won't regret a GN and fewer people ask to borrow it:)

/ When to go gooseneck #5  
Third. Over 10k, I would advise you to go with a gooseneck for any trailer with a loaded weight over 10k lbs.

Upside of gooseneck is that it tows much better. Dynamically speaking, it is also more stable than a bumper tow trailer for all load conditions.
Downside is that it is not as easy to maneuver, and will track noticeably farther to the inside on turns. Just takes some getting used to.

It appears there was be a factory "rail kit" hitch option for the 2016+ GM trucks... If you have that, you'll see five holes with covers in the bed between the wheel wells. You only need to buy the ball and safety chain mounts, which are fairly inexpensive on etrailer.com...
If you don't have the 5 holes with covers, I think you don't have the rail option. In that case, I would highly recommend a B&W hitch. They are fairly straightforward to install, and they work very well.

/ When to go gooseneck #6  
You won't regret a GN and fewer people ask to borrow it:)
That alone is reason enough for going with GN but it truly does pull and ride better,plus can be parked/turned around in tighter places. The only complaint I have is that many GN are built with deck higher than necessary so consider that while chooseing trailer. I highly recommend PJ brand and I believe you will hear the same from people that pull trailers every day. If having a ball sticking up while not using trailer bother's you,check into "flip-up ball".

/ When to go gooseneck #7  
I'd go for a GN in a 14k trailer. I like a GN anyway. I had a 10k GN that pulled better than my 10k equipment trailer. I was pulling both behind my F-350. I sold both of those trailers and got a 20k GN.

/ When to go gooseneck #8  
Oh man I'd love to have a 14k gooseneck. Unfortunately I think I'd be nearing my towing capacity on my 02 Ram 2500 Quad Cab Long Bed, with a 10,000 lb tractor...I'd like to get a used 4th Gen Ram 3500 Regular Cab with the Aisin transmission for my towing needs.

/ When to go gooseneck #9  
Why do you need safety chain? I do not have safety chain on my 5th wheel... Why is the gooseneck different with safety chains?

I have considered a 10k gooseneck for my tractor. I have kind of outgrown my 16' 7k bumper tow. Part of the reason for me considering a gooseneck is because of how nice my 5th wheel tows. I was also looking at the goosneck plates that fit my bed rails for the 5th wheel hitch.

It just isn't a financial priority for me right now...

You only need to buy the ball and safety chain mounts, which are fairly inexpensive on etrailer.com...

/ When to go gooseneck #10  
If you were going to buy a trailer, at what point do you decide to put out the extra money for a gooseneck? I'm looking to buy a 14k trailer, which is more than what I need for the tractors and cars that I'll transport. But, I'd like to have the option of transporting a friend's tractory, which is a Mahindra mPower 85. Tractor and loader combined weigh 9,160 pounds. Ideally, I could get by without a gooseneck, but I'm looking for opinions from more experienced people. The tow vehicle is a 2016 3500HD Chevy with the long wheelbase of crewcab and 8' bed.

Once you go GN you will never go back!