Dump Trailer Sizing

/ Dump Trailer Sizing #1  

Old Red

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 HDC
So I have read all the threads about dump trailers.....I am not sure what new I can glean by starting my own thread here, but I just have to do it.

Bottom line is this. 10 footer more handy will load less, 14 footer holds more less handy. By handy I mean around the yard and farm in tight spaces etc. We all know how much more a larger trailer will haul than a smaller, but "handy" is a subjective term and we all define it differently.....I just finished completion of a triplex apartment unit that we built brand new. I am going to build another but this tim I am going to do it myself.....myself meaning subbing out my own work and having 100% control over the project. I am thinking a dump trailer will be handy for this project as well as a handy tool ongoing for the rest of my life. I sold the T190 and now have a kubota bx with backhoe and a big cab kubota. Who knows, will I buy a mini ex in the future? Will I buy another skid steer in the future? Anyway this is just a brain dump and hoping for some good opinions. The primary use will not be ongoing construction or commercial work. Primary use will be at the house or farm when I need some dirt, gravel, landscape rock, and mulch.

PS...anyone bought a 10 or 12 and kicking themselves for not buying a 14? We do it all the time in tractors....kick ourselves for not going bigger, but what about your dump trailer?

/ Dump Trailer Sizing #2  
I had a 10 footer and I could only haul 3 ton of material and could not get my B26 Kubota in it. if I needed both somewhere I would have to make two trips. I sold it and bought a 14 foot 7 ton and it's been great, but there is always a but :) I now have a L45 and could use a bigger dump bed!

/ Dump Trailer Sizing #3  
I just bought a 12 foot 10,000. I can get my bx-25 in it if I turn the back hoe sideways. Just hauled stuff to the dump and moved dirt so far. Pulls great and works for me.

/ Dump Trailer Sizing #4  
So you think 6x10....10k is a handy size but hauls less
And the 7x14 ...14k hauls more but less handy

Do what I did. Get a 7x 12 12k.

Granted I haven't used it much. But I haven't found myself wishing for bigger.

I got it because I wanted something smaller than my 25' gn for the times I want to pick an implement up off clist, haul my ztr or 4-wheeler. And I do a fair bit of hauling firewood. Needed at least 6' to haul the 61" ztr. Couldn't justify a 5x8 dump AND a little landscape trailer. So to kill two birds with one stone, I got big enough dump to do both.

Hauling my mx, especially with the 8' blade or 8' mower rules out a dump trailer for that.

I can haul a cord and a half of wood, or 4.5 tons of whatever. Haven't used the pump hydraulics yet, as I added QC's to quickly switch between the pump and my tractor remotes. Only used the remotes thus far.

But 7x12 seems about right behind the MX hauling dirt and firewood close to home. I think the 14' would be just a bit more cumbersome.

/ Dump Trailer Sizing #5  
My 10x5 tandem axle bumper pull has done well for me. The limitation I ran into was lack of cu ft when hauling brush,trash and construction debris. It has stake pockets so I added 2' sideboards. It can be an advantage or pita,depending on your situation but 2" ball bumper pull alow's it to be towed by almost any kind of vehicle. People borrow it a lot but I find it convenient not needing 2 5/16" ball. Towing 15k with anything less than 1 ton dually is poor judgement. Cost to register and insure in Tx is based on GVWR. I have gooseneck on trailers over 10K. IMO,quility of build shouldn't be secoundary to size,therefore PJ trailers get my trailer business.

/ Dump Trailer Sizing #6  
I found a used 6x12 10k. The box is above the wheels. I like it for most things I have done so far. Lawn and tree trimmings, gravel, scrap,etc..

Attachments

• Pic_1028_112.jpg
    Pic_1028_112.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 372
   / Dump Trailer Sizing #7  
Quality is important for sure.

There are alot of good ones that are well built. Alot of no-name junk too.

Sure trac is what I ended with after destroying a bran new 6x12 10k of a lesser brand. Dealer had just started carrying that brand too. Fortunately it was a good dealer that worked with me through some initial issues, then ultimately gave my money back.

/ Dump Trailer Sizing #8  
Quality is important for sure.

There are alot of good ones that are well built. Alot of no-name junk too.

Sure trac is what I ended with after destroying a bran new 6x12 10k of a lesser brand. Dealer had just started carrying that brand too. Fortunately it was a good dealer that worked with me through some initial issues, then ultimately gave my money back.
Me too!
fa0eea1d2f883280f6126430ba9182b7.jpg

/ Dump Trailer Sizing #9  
I like the larger solution because I haul manure, wood, gravel, dirt, etc...:)

Attachments

• Hauling wood.jpg
    Hauling wood.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 532
  • Manure Run 1.jpg
    Manure Run 1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 245
   / Dump Trailer Sizing #10  
I just bought a 12 foot 10,000. I can get my bx-25 in it if I turn the back hoe sideways. Just hauled stuff to the dump and moved dirt so far. Pulls great and works for me.

Me too. CAM Superline 6x12. I can get my Bobcat S185 into it if needed and I have in the past. Have to back it in and rest the bucket on top of the tailgate to have the weight centered over the wheels instead of all on the tongue.
But I just bought a PJ 21' 14k tilt bed to eliminate that need.