23' tractor/bush hog rig, 20' of trailer...

/ 23' tractor/bush hog rig, 20' of trailer... #1  

DanHen

Tractor
Kubota L47
When I purchased the trailer to haul my kubota L-47 I only sized it to haul the TLB and hadn't considered other implements. Now I'd like to haul it with the bush hog instead of the back hoe and that puts me over 20'. If I curl the bucket down and pull it all the way up to the stop it just fits.... I have the cutting edge resting on wood blocks to keep it off the metal stop. so I'm wondering is it ok to tow like this or will I damage the FEL and is there anything else I should consider? I know it'll shift the weight forward but it's a fairly short trip (12 miles or less). Kicking myself for selling the 14x7 utility trailer I had before upsizing to 20' equipment trailer.... thanks for any advice. Hauling heavy is new to me and makes me nervous. Of course I'll use chains and binders on the tractor plus a couple of straps on the hog and loader bucket

/ 23' tractor/bush hog rig, 20' of trailer... #2  
Towing the way you describe will be fine for a short run. It may make the trailer a little tongue heavy but on a short trip you'll be fine. You didn't mention the tow vehicle but to be safer it may be wise to buy and use a weight distribution hitch to transfer some of the weight from the rear to the front of the truck.

/ 23' tractor/bush hog rig, 20' of trailer... #3  
When I purchased the trailer to haul my kubota L-47 I only sized it to haul the TLB and hadn't considered other implements. Now I'd like to haul it with the bush hog instead of the back hoe and that puts me over 20'. If I curl the bucket down and pull it all the way up to the stop it just fits.... I have the cutting edge resting on wood blocks to keep it off the metal stop. so I'm wondering is it ok to tow like this or will I damage the FEL and is there anything else I should consider? I know it'll shift the weight forward but it's a fairly short trip (12 miles or less). Kicking myself for selling the 14x7 utility trailer I had before upsizing to 20' equipment trailer.... thanks for any advice. Hauling heavy is new to me and makes me nervous. Of course I'll use chains and binders on the tractor plus a couple of straps on the hog and loader bucket

Post up a pic loaded out so we can give you a better answer.

I have towed with the brush hog hanging off the back a few feet many times with no issue over the years.

/ 23' tractor/bush hog rig, 20' of trailer... #4  
Should not be a issue if it balances out right on the trailer. We need a pic though!

/ 23' tractor/bush hog rig, 20' of trailer... #5  
In Texas you can have a 4' overhang off the back of a vehicle including a trailer. I use it when positioning the tractor on my 20' trailer. I would rather have a balanced load with an overhang than an unbalanced load.

/ 23' tractor/bush hog rig, 20' of trailer... #6  
Yep, post a pic.

Load balance is more important than "fitting" on the trailer.

/ 23' tractor/bush hog rig, 20' of trailer...
Thanks for replies. I should have taken a picture over the weekend when I was testing the fit. I'll get a picture and post it this week, took the bush hog off to do some close quarters loader work this week. Great point about balance, I would have to remove ramps to get the tractor over the wheels but it is doable. Btw, tow vehicle is the wife's '15 Yukon XL. It has the 6.2 gas and air ride levelers. Feel more comfortable with that than my old Dodge...

/ 23' tractor/bush hog rig, 20' of trailer... #8  
Quite a light tow vehicle for that rig, in my opinion. Probably fine for 12 miles though.

/ 23' tractor/bush hog rig, 20' of trailer... #9  
Thanks for replies. I should have taken a picture over the weekend when I was testing the fit. I'll get a picture and post it this week, took the bush hog off to do some close quarters loader work this week. Great point about balance, I would have to remove ramps to get the tractor over the wheels but it is doable. Btw, tow vehicle is the wife's '15 Yukon XL. It has the 6.2 gas and air ride levelers. Feel more comfortable with that than my old Dodge...
Another option is to load the BH on then pull thr tractor on with then loader over tye BH.

For the very reason you listed i will never own a trailer again with stand up ramps. My 2 current ones have slide in ramps. Much more flexible in loading options.

/ 23' tractor/bush hog rig, 20' of trailer...
Here's what I wound up doing. The Yukon did a good job pulling. Air ride suspension kept everything level. 12 mile drive took about 30 minutes on the best back road that would get me there. Driving about 45mph on Saturday afternoon, with 2 stops to check chains & straps. I'm going to take the ramps off for the return trip & back up a foot or so. Although it did well, there was still more sway than I like.

Thoughts & opinions welcomed, I know the tow vehicle is light but is my best option right now.
IMG_2633.JPGIMG_2634.JPG