My $400 backup camera for $40/month for AT&T phone

/ My $400 backup camera for $40/month for AT&T phone #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
First of all let me say I misplaced my ability to smoothly backup to a trailer hitch.
When I was in my 20's I had a job as a roofer and towed a hot tar kettle with a 5 ton truck. I got so I could back up to that slicker than poo.
But from then to about 5 years ago no trailers were in my life.
So when I got my current setup (in sig) hooking up was a repetition of creep back, get out and look, repeat, repeat, repeat. Usually 3 to 4 "in and out of the cab" exercises. I bought a $200 camera system early on, the non-replaceable battery died in about 2 years and they would only give me a discount on a new system.

So I went back to the old in and out.

Then along came Mobley.

Note:This was a proof of concept exercise which will be modified for more rigorous usage.
First the mobley:
519700d1503590193-my-400-backup-camera-40-a-m1-jpg

This can be obtained for about $100 with a $20/month plan.
It's connected via USB ($17) to a DeWalt DCB090 12V/20V Max USB Power Source ($30) and a battery ($30 to $50)
This provides power anyplace, so I can (and have) carried it on my tractor.
Now the "camera" and mount:
519707d1503591598-my-400-backup-camera-40-a-m2-jpg

This highly crafted camera mount prototype holds my old cell phone ($80) and is built of carefully cut waste foam packaging, a recycled ziploc baggie as a pouch and liberal use of duct tape. There is probably over 10 cents invested in the mount :)

Inside the cab I monitor the camera using my Android phone ($120 with a $20/month plan) and the app "Alfred"
Here is the result of my first quick, at an angle backup.
519708d1503591598-my-400-backup-camera-40-a-m3-jpg

I invested over 10 minutes taping this up.

Future developments involve a magnetic camera mount so I don't use too many rolls of duct tape :)
And putting the mobley in the cab.
Luckily I get good AT&T service in the areas I operate.

The alfred app may work with cell phone data plans, but I'm to frugal to pay data plan rates.

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 761
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,008
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 727
   / My $400 backup camera for $40/month for AT&T phone #2  
Nah you don't need no stinkin magnet that duck tape is just fine.

Many years ago, a discussion occurred at the boat ramp of a gentlemen with an old aluminum boat. Those that knew him said he had more duct tape stuck on the outside of the boat than the aluminum in the boat. It floated fine.

/ My $400 backup camera for $40/month for AT&T phone #3  
Looks overly complicated and expensive. Why not just get a $100 unit from Walmart and be done?

/ My $400 backup camera for $40/month for AT&T phone
Looks overly complicated and expensive. Why not just get a $100 unit from Walmart and be done?

If you read it carefully the only extra REAL expense is for the duct tape. Maybe I should have pointed out my old phone was cracked and only does wifi - no plan.
My Mobley kit travels with me, my phone travels with me and I'm paying for both plans anyways. Normally I set my Mobley outside my shop so I can stream TV, radio, internet etc. inside my shop.
Like I wrote, "This was a proof of concept exercise", I figure with a suitable gooseneck cell phone holder I can stick it on my FEL or most anywhere else.
I was primarily concerned about the bandwidth and how quick/good was the stream.

The backup camera I had bought years ago was real nice, had a little magnet so I could put it on my tailgate but couldn't broadcast beyond 30 feet. This replicates and far exceeds the capabilities of that system. And it is very portable, to my tractor, my maxivan, whatever.

/ My $400 backup camera for $40/month for AT&T phone #5  
I just use a wired backup camera w/monitor after adding a pair of wires + 12v lighter plug for power. That makes it completely portable/removable. The backup camera itself got attached to a magnetic base so I can just plug it in when needed, place the camera low on the tail gate & route the wire through a window & have the monitor on the seat (or dash). Total cost for the parts via Amazon was <$50...

For example:
Amazon.com: Noiposi Backup Camera and Monitor kit for Car Universal Waterproof Night Vision Linsence Plate Rear view Camera and 4.3” TFT LCD Rear view Monitor: Car Electronics
comes with 18' of video cable and is less than $30. Add some wire, a plug for power (for both camera & monitor) & a magnet and you are in business.

Nick

/ My $400 backup camera for $40/month for AT&T phone #6  
This looks like the setup I got from Costco.

It's not the most awesome thing ever, but it seems to work well for the price.

/ My $400 backup camera for $40/month for AT&T phone #7  
   / My $400 backup camera for $40/month for AT&T phone #8  
Not following how you monitor the camera on one phone, with your other phone.

/ My $400 backup camera for $40/month for AT&T phone #9  
Not following how you monitor the camera on one phone, with your other phone.

Not sure how it would work if you were away from a wireless network. Maybe it can transmit from one phone to the other in close proximity. I have an old iPhone being used to monitor my front door. It was using the Alfred app that the OP mentions. But my home wireless network picks up the signal from that old iPhone and the app on my new iPhone picks it up from the home wireless network.
I've since ditched Alfred and gone to another app for the same function. Nice because I can set it to motion sensor or adjust any settings from anywhere I have cell phone service.

/ My $400 backup camera for $40/month for AT&T phone
Not sure how it would work if you were away from a wireless network. Maybe it can transmit from one phone to the other in close proximity. I have an old iPhone being used to monitor my front door. It was using the Alfred app that the OP mentions. But my home wireless network picks up the signal from that old iPhone and the app on my new iPhone picks it up from the home wireless network.
I've since ditched Alfred and gone to another app for the same function. Nice because I can set it to motion sensor or adjust any settings from anywhere I have cell phone service.

The point is that I'm not away from a wireless network. With the AT&T Mobley I bring the wireless network with me and the vehicle as long as I can get an AT&T cell phone signal.