Crazy Ford Brake Line

/ Crazy Ford Brake Line #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Hey Fellas,

Just wanted to relate my experience replacing a brake line on my 2001 F150. The line that runs down the frame from the cab to the rear axle rusted out and luckily I was almost home at the time. I called my usual mechanic and he said he doesn't do brake lines anymore because of liability issues. The other local brake shop has raised their shop rate to $110/hr. so I didn't want to go there.

I tried to measure the hex on all three fittings that I need to wrench on but they were pretty corroded and it was difficult to tell exactly what size they were. I ended up going to Harbor Freight and buying a set of metric and sae flare/line wrenches (30$/10 wrenches). I sprayed the fittings with PB Blaster and got them loose fairly easily. I unclipped the line from the frame and pulled it out towards the front of the truck.

The line measured 7ft. long, 3/16" diameter. The fitting on the front is a M12 x 1.0 male with a "double bubble" flare. The fitting on the rear is a 3/8-24 male with a "double" flare. I called 2 shops to see if they could reproduce the line for me but both declined for liability reasons like my usual mechanic. The third shop I called said they would do it. It's a little 2 man shop and I brought it over right away. He said to give him 20 minutes and he'd have it done. He used the same fittings that were on it and it worked perfectly for only $25. I left the rear fitting loose and bled the line through that fitting. After tightening the rear fitting the brakes feel and work great.

Why do you suppose Ford used a metric fitting on the front and a sae on the rear? Were they trying to get rid of stock while changing over to metric?

Kevin

/ Crazy Ford Brake Line #2  
I can't answer (and I'm in the auto industry!) but I had a similar situation on our 2005 Durango. Power steering hose had a 5/8" hex on the pump end and an 18mm hex on the rack end.

/ Crazy Ford Brake Line #3  
Freightliner Semi's are the same on fittings . My son's dodge 2007 2500 with cummins also had both sae and metric . It just has become standard practice to take both sizes out of the shop to do work on either vehicle . Not sure " Why " , but my thought is that maybe " Components " are made elsewere , then final assembly occurs at another location . Thus say components are assembled out of country , metric is used , then final assembly occurs in country , sae is used ?????

Fred H.

/ Crazy Ford Brake Line #4  
Hey Fellas,

Just wanted to relate my experience replacing a brake line on my 2001 F150. The line that runs down the frame from the cab to the rear axle rusted out and luckily I was almost home at the time. I called my usual mechanic and he said he doesn't do brake lines anymore because of liability issues. The other local brake shop has raised their shop rate to $110/hr. so I didn't want to go there.

I tried to measure the hex on all three fittings that I need to wrench on but they were pretty corroded and it was difficult to tell exactly what size they were. I ended up going to Harbor Freight and buying a set of metric and sae flare/line wrenches (30$/10 wrenches). I sprayed the fittings with PB Blaster and got them loose fairly easily. I unclipped the line from the frame and pulled it out towards the front of the truck.

The line measured 7ft. long, 3/16" diameter. The fitting on the front is a M12 x 1.0 male with a "double bubble" flare. The fitting on the rear is a 3/8-24 male with a "double" flare. I called 2 shops to see if they could reproduce the line for me but both declined for liability reasons like my usual mechanic. The third shop I called said they would do it. It's a little 2 man shop and I brought it over right away. He said to give him 20 minutes and he'd have it done. He used the same fittings that were on it and it worked perfectly for only $25. I left the rear fitting loose and bled the line through that fitting. After tightening the rear fitting the brakes feel and work great.

Why do you suppose Ford used a metric fitting on the front and a sae on the rear? Were they trying to get rid of stock while changing over to metric?

Kevin

Easiest way to make components from global sources work is to make a adapter. In this case the adapter is the brake line being SAE on one end and Metric on the other.

I run into this all the time. My tractor for example has everything metric on the Hydro System upto the Cylinders themselves that are SAE.

Boat motors do this all the time going from Imported Motors to US made systems to support them.

/ Crazy Ford Brake Line #5  
I had a hose blow out on my Jinma Backhoe (Chinese) and local, national hydraulic shop could not match up the fitting!
I welded a JIC fitting to the stock fitting from the hose and converted to something popular/easy to get.
It's that "Global Economy" they keep bragging about.

Attachments

• 000_0389.JPG
    000_0389.JPG
    488.2 KB · Views: 91
   / Crazy Ford Brake Line #6  
I ended up going to Harbor Freight and buying a set of metric and sae flare/line wrenches (30$/10 wrenches)....
Why do you suppose Ford used a metric fitting on the front and a sae on the rear?
Kevin
To help sell wrenches :)

/ Crazy Ford Brake Line #7  
Ditto the global economy.

Like the power steering hose someone mentioned earlier. The pump being SAE is likely made here, the metric rack, likely overseas.

Metric and SAE components being mixed on a vehicle certainly isn't a new thing. Been going on for many decades.