help me decide on Superduty

/ help me decide on Superduty #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
i have an 06 F350 diesel SRW longbed crewcab with 230,000 miles. Its mainly my hunting truck and I use it to pull a 25' gooseneck with my Kubota M6800, maybe 6 times a year for local trips of 30 miles max. Total max load of trailer, tractor, implement may run 15,000 pounds, I guess. It pulls well, but the high milesge worries me, as far as my confidence of its dependability.
I ran across a 08 F 250 6.4 diesel, 3.73 ratio, Supercab, short bed with only 7,000 miles, like new. Its certainly an easier drive, handles and turns better, so I was thinking about buying it to step up to something newer,
My main concern is how it will tow my trailer loaded. Will the shorter bed and wheelbase be worse? Im trying to look up the specs, but wanted to get your opinions. I was surprised to see the occupants/cargo limit of 1990lbs vs 3761 lbs. Why the huge difference? I always thought F250 and F350 srw were about the same.

What else or what other features do i need to consider? The tires are the same, E rated 20".
All opinions are welcome, but please, keep comments limited to these specific trucks.
I just dont want to spend over 28,000 and want lower mileage. This F250 with under 8,000 miles is uncommon.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ help me decide on Superduty #2  
I can't help with the rest of the truck but I would personally stay away from the 6.4, it was only around for 3years and were fairly hit or miss and from my experience mostly misses with a lot of problems. I wouldn't want one out of warrenty and I'm not a warrenty type of guy as I've always had older vehicles.
The 6.7 has been much better but did have some teething issues in the first year or 2

/ help me decide on Superduty
i understand the 6.7 has a better reputation, but this 6.4 is $28,000. (and under 8,000 miles) Most 6.7's I see are $40K plus, so out of my price range. And I figure the chance of a major repair is greater with my 230,000 mile 06 than like new 08 with 223,000 less miles, I understand your opinion, but I just don't want to spend what it takes to get a 6.7. I can step up to a much newer truck for about 15K out of pocket. Make sense?

<_CFXNotificationTokenRegistration: 0x1752c3f0>

/ help me decide on Superduty #4  
I understand that, but major engine or emissions repairs can quickly add up and close that price gap.
Somtimes older lower mileage vehicles can be worse then higher mileage as they either sit for long periods or make a lot of short trips which are both bad.

I'm not sure on Fords emissions warrenty for the 6.4 but at 9yrs old it might be out or just about there.

As for the truck it should pull your load fine, will the gn trailer work with the shortbox? Some gn trailer necks work better then others for cab clearance. You won't notice much if any ride difference with the shorter wheelbase.

Seems to be good setup with 3.73 being a nice mix for towing and mileage.
The payload difference is usually just in the overload springs for the rear axle, they can be added or do what I did and add an aftermarket system like airbags.

I would do some research on the emissions equipment coverage at least before buying it, with the low miles it may not have had time to show any problems that may develop.

Btw, do you know why it has the low miles?

The Carfax is clean as can be. I was told the owner used it to pull his boat to the lake only. Its pristine, looks brand new, never seen any mud. the undercarriage is spotless.
My gooseneck is vertical, so even with a toolbox, it should work.
It does need a B & W hitch, but was quoted $600 installed. Has a brake controller.
I understand about light use being bad sometimes. But the cheapest 6.7 I see is over $20K more. since my goal is to get another affordable diesel before mine croaks, this rare find for about 15K out of pocket seems too good to pass up,

Oh, as far as overload springs or air bags, am I right in that it only would be helpful if I carry heavy loads? I would think trailer tongue weight wouldnt require more capacity. I never haul really heavy loads in my truck bed

/ help me decide on Superduty #7  
Tongue weight is part of the cargo, with the gooseneck it would probably be a good idea to add some overloads, I'm not real families with the 08 250 spring packs but I know a lot of 350 guys that add load assist and reduce rear squat.

40k seems hight for a decent 6.7 2011+ super duty.

/ help me decide on Superduty #8  
This guy may be full of BS, but I think he has some good info on which powerstroke is the best. I know his ultimate goal is to create more business for his bulletproofing shop, but he has some pretty good slants on the 6.0 vs 6.4 or 6.7

WHAT YEAR POWERSTROKE IS BEST? - YouTube

/ help me decide on Superduty #9  
I would not want it just because its a 250 vs 350.

As you mentioned the 350 SRW has 1500# payload advantage over a 250.

/ help me decide on Superduty #10  
6.4 is a powerhouse if it holds up. The consensus with Ford diesel engines is:

7.3 - OK power, lasts forever
6.0 - Good power, can be fixed to be reliable
6.4 - Great power, no fix available for inherent issues
6.7 - Great power, very reliable so far

I would not take a chance on the 6.4 engine for nearly 30 grand. I'd spend the same money or a bit more on a 6.7 with higher mileage or less on a low mileage 7.3.

I'd be leary of the short wheelbase as well. It won't feel as planted as your LWB crew when towing. Maybe for your short hauls it won't matter.

I also agree that less than 10k miles in nearly 10 years is not necessarily a good thing.