Good trailer length/width for tractor & bush hog?

/ Good trailer length/width for tractor & bush hog? #1  

willy1947

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830 GST
I hope to purchase a Kubota L3830 with FEL and 6' bush hog.

Just wondering what size/length of trailer I should get. I have lots of experience with trailers, so I've got a good idea but thought I would get some input since I've rarely hauled a tractor w/FEL and with bush hog attached.

I am thinking about a 16'+2' dovetail that is extra wide (6'10" between fender wells). I know the bush hog will stick out a little, but that is ok. However, I've found a good deal on a 16' with 6'4" between the fender wells. I'm afraid this is too short and possibly the rails on the sides would be too narrow for a bush hog to fit between.

How do those of you load a tractor with FEL and bush hog? How well do they balance on a trailer? Could you load the bush hog up front and then pull the tractor up behind it and have the FEL over the top of the bush hog? I think this would help save length, but what about tongue weight?

I would go with a gooseneck, but $$$ is an issue. I used to have a 30' gooseneck, sure wish I still did /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It will be towed behind a 2004 Dodge 3500 dually, 4x4, with the cummins and 6 speed. So, my tow vehicle should handle anything I put behind it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks,
Dave

/ Good trailer length/width for tractor & bush hog? #2  
I use a 20' Hudson to haul my L3130 w/ 5' bush hog.The tail wheel just hangs off the back.

/ Good trailer length/width for tractor & bush hog? #3  
I have a 20" and i believe it's 6'6" wide. it's rated at 7000 lbs.
I like it cause i can put a set of disc's and my tractor and bushhog on it fine.

Now i have to kind of play with it to balance it right. i usually make sure the back tractor tires are right around the back set of tires. the first time i hauled it i had to far forward and i knew it real quick cause i was low ridin in the rear.

I opted for a 20' thinking it would get the whole package on the trailer . it doesnt. i still have some cutter hanging off which isn't a big deal. the thing i like though for me is that i can get two implements on the trailer at once.

i would recommend the bigger trailer.

/ Good trailer length/width for tractor & bush hog? #4  
Definitely go with the wide trailer. My 6' cutter measures about 74"+ wide. That would make loading it on 6'4" trailer tedious trying to get exactly centered each time. I got an 83" wide trailer.
As far as length, I have hauled mine on a 16" (that is what I have) but it does extend out the back quite a bit. I don't haul very much or very far so it works fine for me. If you intend to hual it often, I would go with the longer trailer if budget allows.
As for balance, look at your tractor and look at the trailer. You may want to take some measurements of your tractor. When I was looking I found quite a bit of difference in the front to back position of the trailer axles. Some just did not look like they would balance well with my tractor.

/ Good trailer length/width for tractor & bush hog? #5  
Hi...

I'll say 18' minimum... with NO dovetail...
For less of an incline... get 6' long loading ramps instead of the usual 5' ones...
...can add springs for ease of lifting/lowering 'em... (at least on the Hudson trailer I have)

The dovetail bottoms out on certain inclines... or at least bends the license plate... and robs you of 2' of flat deck...

This 10,000 GVW setup works well for my Kubota L3130 w/ LA723 loader & BH90 backhoe...

Dave...

/ Good trailer length/width for tractor & bush hog? #6  
I have a K L3010 w/ FEL and a 60" Bush Hog. I think the frame size is the same as the L 3830. My trailer is 18' with a small beavertail. I put my spare tire on the bed in front and rest the FEL lightly on the spare. My rear tires are placed between the dual trailer tires and the BH over hangs maybe a foot or so (just the tail wheel). My trailer balances and tows real well when setup this way. Good luck.

Natty B.

/ Good trailer length/width for tractor & bush hog? #7  
Willy I have a 8' x 20' 9,950lb. GVW deck over trailer with 2ft dove. With my TC45's bucket in the fully extended dump position and pulled as far forward as I can with the teeth up against the front tie down bar on the trailer my 6ft. Squealer's tailwheel barely hangs off the back.

After figuring your specs on the length of your tractor with front end loader and 6' bush hogg your going to be just over 22ft long. My specs were just over 23ft. From that you can subtract a few feet by extending your bucket in the dump position. I'd say shoot for a 20 footer with ramps or tilt. If possible get a goose neck as you explained you wish you still had. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif A lot easier and safer to pull that way as you probably already know. Brakes on both axles is nice. I feel a lot better that way but then again I am pulling it with a F-150 who wouldn't. It's all she wants to handle with that load. Only have to haul it 6 miles from my current residence to my property I just bought back in December. Other than that my father has a 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins I can use too for pulling, like to the dealer. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Here's a pic of my trailer. Sorry I don't have one with the tractor loaded on it for reference. Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 434360-TrailerDay 1.jpg
    434360-TrailerDay 1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,274
   / Good trailer length/width for tractor & bush hog? #8  
Another agle!

Attachments

• 434361-TrailerDay 2.jpg
    434361-TrailerDay 2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,157
   / Good trailer length/width for tractor & bush hog? #9  
One of the tongue.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Could you load the bush hog up front and then pull the tractor up behind it and have the FEL over the top of the bush hog? I think this would help save length, but what about tongue weight? )</font>

You can do it that way but it is so nice to be able to leave her hooked up unload the unit and get to work. I wouldn't worry about your tongue weight too much, you have the truck for pulling it and plus I'm assuming at least a Class IV hitch if it has the factory installed tow package on it, maybe a class V on your truck? I put air shocks on my little F-150 bought a weight distribution kit and she isn't bottomed out yet. That weight distribution kit made a big difference but didn't have it at the time this picture was taken in case your wondering where it's at.

Good luck Willy in whatever you get! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Have a good Memorial Day!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 434363-TrailerDay 6.jpg
    434363-TrailerDay 6.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 922
   / Good trailer length/width for tractor & bush hog? #10  
Willy I just notice your location is in Southern Indiana, the trailer I have is HawkinLine if you noticed in the pics. I'm pretty sure they're located right off the North side of the outer belt of Cincinnatti OH. There might be a trailer delear somewhere around your area that might carry HawkLines. Might want to check them out they're pretty nice trailers. I really like mine so far, just wish I had your 1 ton pickup. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif