Tractor
    Mahindra 2615HST

Default 1979-1982 Ford Courier or Mazda Cam Gear Nut

Somehow the nut holding my cam gear in place came off and fell into the oil pan. In the process the timing chain also broke. It is a very special hardened steel nut. It is chewed up and may be too unreliable to use.

I'm hoping by the grace of God, someone on here has one or knows where I can obtain such a rare part. If I can't find one, my truck will be worthless as is. I'll post a pic. after I get the nut from the mechanic.

Thanks,
    Bob

P.S. Sorry I neglected to say the parts I need are for the 2.0 Japanese engine, not a 2.3
    Last edited by AchingBack; 09-09-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    I thank God for these gifts: 2005 Mahindra 2615 HST w/loader, (485 hours), and 3710 backhoe. Markham tooth bar, Bush Hog SQ60 rotary cutter, Bush Hog 3507 angle blade, Bush Hog LLR84 landscape rake w/gauge wheels, Rankin loader mounted forks, Paumco Quick Spade, Agri-Ease 3 point log splitter.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    4410 and F-935 John Deere, MF 245

Default Re: 1979-1982 Ford Courier or Mazda Cam Gear Nut

I had a friend that was a bit too enthusiastic with the impact gun and broke the nut and treads off the end of the cam. So I just told him to drill and tap the end of the cam and use a bolt and washer instead of a nut. A bit of loctite on the treads and problem solved. This would work for you too.

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615HST

Quote Originally Posted by pmsmechanic View Post
    I had a friend that was a bit too enthusiastic with the impact gun and broke the nut and treads off the end of the cam. So I just told him to drill and tap the end of the cam and use a bolt and washer instead of a nut. A bit of loctite on the treads and problem solved. This would work for you too.
    Thank you. I'll consider the idea if necessary. Do you think it is possible to do this with the cam installed? I'd hate to remove it. I guess the big concern is protecting from metal filings falling into the engine. It shouldn't be a problem, though.
    I thank God for these gifts: 2005 Mahindra 2615 HST w/loader, (485 hours), and 3710 backhoe. Markham tooth bar, Bush Hog SQ60 rotary cutter, Bush Hog 3507 angle blade, Bush Hog LLR84 landscape rake w/gauge wheels, Rankin loader mounted forks, Paumco Quick Spade, Agri-Ease 3 point log splitter.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    4410 and F-935 John Deere, MF 245

Yes I think it would be possible to drill with the cam installed. Just stuff the hole with rags and lay a few magnets underneath.

Would it be possible to take the old nut to a machine shop and either have them clean it up or make you a new one?

I see the year and make in the header. Maybe someone has one laying around. I pretty sure I could get one from a wrecker that lives not too far from me.

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615HST

Quote Originally Posted by pmsmechanic View Post
    Yes I think it would be possible to drill with the cam installed. Just stuff the hole with rags and lay a few magnets underneath.

Would it be possible to take the old nut to a machine shop and either have them clean it up or make you a new one?

I see the year and make in the header. Maybe someone has one laying around. I pretty sure I could get one from a wrecker that lives not too far from me.
    A friend owns a machine shop. If necessary, I'll ask him about making one. In my area there is only one wrecking yard, and currently, no Couriers.

My engine is the 2.0 Japanese made.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by AchingBack View Post
    A friend owns a machine shop. If necessary, I'll ask him about making one. In my area there is only one wrecking yard, and currently, no Couriers.

My engine is the 2.0 Japanese made.
    Just have one made and be done with it. I have just bought a quality not and then drilled and tapped it to make something that works in hard to find stuff in the past.