Getting fuel out of a modern vehicle.

/ Getting fuel out of a modern vehicle. #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
Saw in another thread about generators and being prepared with fuel. One person said they always have plenty of fuel because they have plenty in their vehicles.

We have three vehicles and if they were all full it would be about 75 gallons. Question is, how do you get the fuel out? It's been years ago but the last time I tried to syphon fuel out, you can't get the hose in the tank. There is something that blocks it.

/ Getting fuel out of a modern vehicle. #2  
Saw in another thread about generators and being prepared with fuel. One person said they always have plenty of fuel because they have plenty in their vehicles.

We have three vehicles and if they were all full it would be about 75 gallons. Question is, how do you get the fuel out? It's been years ago but the last time I tried to syphon fuel out, you can't get the hose in the tank. There is something that blocks it.

It is not easy - last time on a newer vehicle I had to drain a tank, I had to disconnect the fuel rail and put an extension hose on it , than find the fuel pump control relay and it's pin out and use a jumper to power up the fuel pump.

/ Getting fuel out of a modern vehicle. #3  
I bought a wrecked Corvette a few years ago for parts. Before I got back to pick it up, one of the car lot employees drained all the fuel out of it. The did it by taking a hammer and chisel to the bottom corner of the tank. I wasn't mad about the gas, but ticked about them destroying a good fuel tank.
If the battery is good, you can always remove a gas line and let the pump fill up your gas can. Be careful not to "start" the car with gas line disconnected. On a pickup, remove the filler neck and siphon from the tank. Each car will be different.
David from jax

/ Getting fuel out of a modern vehicle. #4  
Most Dodges have a plugged fuel line at the top of the tank. Attach a hose and blow air into the tank.

I bought a fuel tank years ago from a wrecker. It was also drained by punching a hole. Fill tank with Mig gas and welded a carriage bolt head into the hole. Worked great. I will say that the tank hadn't had gas in it for several years.

/ Getting fuel out of a modern vehicle. #5  
Hook a clamp on tire chuck with a extension hose to the fuel rail test port and turn on the key. The electric fuel pump does the work.

Last edited:
   / Getting fuel out of a modern vehicle. #6  
<snip>
May depend on the age of the vehicle.
BUT
I had tried to siphon diesel from my '88 E350 and '02 F350 - no go.
About a year ago I bought XtremepowerUS 12v Fluid Oil Diesel Extractor primarily to pump fuel INTO my tanks.

Lo and behold the smaller tube that came with it was small enough so I could insert it down into my '02 F350 tank and pump (slowly) 5 gallons OUT.

Have not tried it on my E350 or other vehicles.

/ Getting fuel out of a modern vehicle. #7  
I used to get 1 free tank of gas a week where I used to work.
I had a 1989 Silverado that I put a 3/8 hard plastic tubing in the tank at the neck and with an electric fuel pump I would pump gas into my motorhome tanks to get my money's worth! :)
I would watch the fuel gauge to leave enough to get back to work. Once the tubing got under the sending unit linkage and I took too much out.
I had to put some back!

/ Getting fuel out of a modern vehicle. #8  
before I traded in my vw tdi jetta for the emissions recall I pumped all but a gallon of diesel out of the tank then hauled it in on my trailer. It was easy to do on that car just disconnected the tank return line off the fuel filter and pointed it into a fuel can then started the car once the fuel gauge got to empty shut it off.

/ Getting fuel out of a modern vehicle. #9  
Get a fuel pressure tester. Attach it to the port on the rail and put a clamp on the pressure releif button. Start the engine and it will piss out a full tank in about 15 minutes. I've done this when I had a full tank and needed to change the fuel pump.

/ Getting fuel out of a modern vehicle. #10  
Around here they use a drill with a bit and drain into a bucket, works every time but the vehicle owners are pissed.

David