Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

Default Getting fuel out of a modern vehicle.

Saw in another thread about generators and being prepared with fuel. One person said they always have plenty of fuel because they have plenty in their vehicles.

We have three vehicles and if they were all full it would be about 75 gallons. Question is, how do you get the fuel out? It's been years ago but the last time I tried to syphon fuel out, you can't get the hose in the tank. There is something that blocks it.
    Dave,
    BX2350

Tractor
    Rhino 554, JD550G dozer Gilson MTD riding mowers Ford 3000-Sold

Default Re: Getting fuel out of a modern vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by dodge man View Post
    Saw in another thread about generators and being prepared with fuel. One person said they always have plenty of fuel because they have plenty in their vehicles.

We have three vehicles and if they were all full it would be about 75 gallons. Question is, how do you get the fuel out? It's been years ago but the last time I tried to syphon fuel out, you can't get the hose in the tank. There is something that blocks it.
    It is not easy - last time on a newer vehicle I had to drain a tank, I had to disconnect the fuel rail and put an extension hose on it , than find the fuel pump control relay and it's pin out and use a jumper to power up the fuel pump.

Tractor
    JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers and now one Kubota

I bought a wrecked Corvette a few years ago for parts. Before I got back to pick it up, one of the car lot employees drained all the fuel out of it. The did it by taking a hammer and chisel to the bottom corner of the tank. I wasn't mad about the gas, but ticked about them destroying a good fuel tank.
    If the battery is good, you can always remove a gas line and let the pump fill up your gas can. Be careful not to "start" the car with gas line disconnected. On a pickup, remove the filler neck and siphon from the tank. Each car will be different.
    David from jax
    A serious accident is one that money won't fix.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    4410 and F-935 John Deere, MF 245

Most Dodges have a plugged fuel line at the top of the tank. Attach a hose and blow air into the tank.

I bought a fuel tank years ago from a wrecker. It was also drained by punching a hole. Fill tank with Mig gas and welded a carriage bolt head into the hole. Worked great. I will say that the tank hadn't had gas in it for several years.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Hook a clamp on tire chuck with a extension hose to the fuel rail test port and turn on the key. The electric fuel pump does the work.
    Last edited by Diamondpilot; 09-10-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

Quote Originally Posted by dodge man View Post
    <snip>
    May depend on the age of the vehicle.
    BUT
    I had tried to siphon diesel from my '88 E350 and '02 F350 - no go.
    About a year ago I bought XtremepowerUS 12v Fluid Oil Diesel Extractor primarily to pump fuel INTO my tanks.

Lo and behold the smaller tube that came with it was small enough so I could insert it down into my '02 F350 tank and pump (slowly) 5 gallons OUT.

Have not tried it on my E350 or other vehicles.
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all
    My saws - 12" B&D 40 volt,JD CS 62, efco 3500, Stihls - 021, 660 w/woods mod, 660 w/ DP muffler, 088, Woodmizer LT10

Veteran Member

I used to get 1 free tank of gas a week where I used to work.
    I had a 1989 Silverado that I put a 3/8 hard plastic tubing in the tank at the neck and with an electric fuel pump I would pump gas into my motorhome tanks to get my money's worth!
    I would watch the fuel gauge to leave enough to get back to work. Once the tubing got under the sending unit linkage and I took too much out.
    I had to put some back!

Tractor
    2014 Kioti CK35 Deere 430 L&G

before I traded in my vw tdi jetta for the emissions recall I pumped all but a gallon of diesel out of the tank then hauled it in on my trailer. It was easy to do on that car just disconnected the tank return line off the fuel filter and pointed it into a fuel can then started the car once the fuel gauge got to empty shut it off.
    2014 CK 35 - KL130 FEL, 55" EA wicked root grapple, 3rd function, 2475 backhoe, 5' bush hog, woods 5000 chipper shredder, 5' Howard tiller, post hole digger, 60" rear blade, 5' finish mower. 18' 10K SURE-TRAC trailer.

1987 Deere 430 L&G -Deere Cab, 47" blower, 60" mower deck, 42" front 4 way blade.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 950

Get a fuel pressure tester. Attach it to the port on the rail and put a clamp on the pressure releif button. Start the engine and it will piss out a full tank in about 15 minutes. I've done this when I had a full tank and needed to change the fuel pump.

Tractor
    Kubota X 4

Around here they use a drill with a bit and drain into a bucket, works every time but the vehicle owners are pissed.

David
    Grand L3130GST LA723 Loader, ATI grapple, ATI grapple bucket, WR Long front remote, Kubota rear remotes, Bradco 408 Backhoe with thumb, 60"KK brush hog, 60" RM Finish Mower, Speeco Post Auger, 72" KK rear blade, 60" box blade
    BX2230 LA211, RCK60, GCK60 Bagger,42"Land Pride Tiller, XB BB, XB RB, rake, Fimco 3PT sprayer
    G2160 RCK60 Mower
    RTV1100 Orange, Work Lights, Front Rear Winch,Rear Screen, High Mount air cleaner, water seperator
    2010 Polaris RZR 800 S
    2007 CAN AM Outlander 800 LTD