Used Car Prices

/ Used Car Prices #11  
I think the market reflects that people are buying new and holding onto their cars longer (avg 11 yrs IIRC). Seems like there are fewer late model cars available unless they have a pile of miles on them. Low supply = higher prices.

/ Used Car Prices
Two words - private owner.

Wait another two months - sometime between Thanksgiving and Dec 31. Property taxes are due, kids need Christmas gifts... A cash offer way below the asking price may look attractive to the right seller.

The private owners are quoting KBB too. They look at dealer LISTED prices and say mine must be worth that too.

/ Used Car Prices #15  
Also, where are you finding 20,000 mile 5 year old vehicles? We put that on per year.

I bought a pristine 2006 Dodge TRX4 with 19K in 2010. I traded it in at the end of 2016 with 53K. Still in near perfect condition. I put more milage on my motorcycles.

/ Used Car Prices #16  
What a total scam!
Been looking for a specific late model SUV for a couple months. Paying cash and not in a hurry.
EVERYONE is quoting KBB which takes the price that a car is listed for and quotes that as current market value.
Meanwhile smart buyers negotiate a better sale price which is NOT quoted. So the market value is falsely inflated.
I am seeing used 4-5 year old vehicles with 20k miles listed for the same price as new 2017 discounted ones.
Where are all the TV lawyers with this scam? (Hint- owning car lots?)
And soon the market will have flood vehicles to watch out for!

Just bought a loaded 4wd Honda Crosstour, 2014 75K miles, $15,600 New msrp was over $34,000. The dealer has a one price only, no haggling. It was the lowest priced 2014 Crosstour in the country on Autotrader besides one that had over 150k miles.

I never liked that one price no haggle before but this time it worked out for us.

Kevin

/ Used Car Prices #17  
Also, where are you finding 20,000 mile 5 year old vehicles? We put that on per year.

They are out there. I'm sure there are a lot of people like myself that own multiple vehicles and rotate their use to cut down on miles.

I have a 2016 2500HD, 17 months old, just turned 5,000 miles.
2004 Jeep Liberty, about 5K per year.
1957 Chevy Sedan Delivery, about 2,500 per year going to car cruise shows.
2002 HD Electra Glide Classic about 2,500 per year.
Wifey has 2016 Equinox and has put 6K on it in 16 months.
Total of what I drive is 15K per year, but I'm retired and don't travel much.

/ Used Car Prices #19  

I have a 1994 Chevy pickup with only 89,000 miles on it. Great work truck.

Last December we bought a 2017 ford edge with 2,000 miles on it for $15K under the price of a 2018 same model and equipment. We now have over 20K on it. This was at the new car dealers. Went to look at the new ones, hemmed around at the price and one of the salesmen over herd the conversations said hey how about that one we took in yesterday? I never did hear what they wanted for it; set my price, never budged, started to walk out, manager came out and said "sell it". Its now mine.

Ron

/ Used Car Prices #20  
last yr I bought the wife a used 2016 Hyundai Sonata limited Loaded with 12 K miles for 25 K out the door. The same car new was over 30 K + tax