Chevy engine whistle

/ Chevy engine whistle #1  

Rustyiron

Tractor
M 9540 Kubota
Anyone else have their 6.L gas Chev whistle (very loudly) during warm up? Our old trusty 2000 2500 Suburban developed this a few years ago and we have been just putting up with it. Our mechanic has heard of this issue and didn't have time during the trucks last visit to address it and said it was not that bad of a fix and to look it up on youtube. I could not find anything this morning on repairing it, just other examples of it's sound.

/ Chevy engine whistle #2  
Serp idler pully bearing?

/ Chevy engine whistle #5  
There is a tech bulletin about this, your local dealer can probably provide or you can likely find it on the web.

/ Chevy engine whistle #8  
Anyone else have their 6.L gas Chev whistle (very loudly) during warm up? Our old trusty 2000 2500 Suburban developed this a few years ago and we have been just putting up with it. Our mechanic has heard of this issue and didn't have time during the trucks last visit to address it and said it was not that bad of a fix and to look it up on youtube. I could not find anything this morning on repairing it, just other examples of it's sound.

Probably a vacuum leak or something loose around the throttle body, air intake tube, etc... You could take a can of throttle body cleaner and spray it around vacuum lines and intake hoses/tubes, etc... while the engine is running. If it is a vacuum leak, you should be able to hear a change in the whistle when the cleaner hits the leak. It's a cheap test...

CRC Throttle body and air intake cleaner :confused:78 - Read 3 Reviews on CRC #:confused:78

/ Chevy engine whistle #9  
Probably a vacuum leak or something loose around the throttle body, air intake tube, etc... You could take a can of throttle body cleaner and spray it around vacuum lines and intake hoses/tubes, etc... while the engine is running. If it is a vacuum leak, you should be able to hear a change in the whistle when the cleaner hits the leak. It's a cheap test...

CRC Throttle body and air intake cleaner 578 - Read 3 Reviews on CRC #578

I would think that much of a leak would throw a check engine light...OP didn't mention that. Maybe not though but if a loose gas cap can throw one, I'd think an engine leak would be even more likely to cause other issues.

/ Chevy engine whistle #10  
IIRC, it's summat to do with where the EGR valve used to be, carbon build up in the passageway, I didn't have time to really research it.
On an unrelated note, I've finally found a method that seems to keep the check engine light off on vehicles with gutted catalytic converters....(that pesky cat inefficient code) not that I would ever, ahem..., condone that type of behavior, best of all it's cheap. So my Dodge Ram will pass inspection this time around, as will my friends Tahoe, which I used as a guinea pig. 3 days since the patch job, no readiness monitors unset, no check engine light.