Rust again, aluminum Ford the answer?

/ Rust again, aluminum Ford the answer? #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
I've had a 2011 Chevy extended cab for about a year and a half now. Yesterday I notice rust just starting to bubble out above the rear wheel on on side. Truck has 55,000 miles on it. Im really disappointed. I'm not going down the road of trying to fix it, been there done that.

We've had a couple of F150 at work and I liked them but they weren't aluminum.

First off, what year did Ford go aluminum? I think 2015 on F150 and 2017 on the F250 2017?

Second, how are they holding up? This is directed at how the body is holding up.

I'm probably looking at a F150, 5.0 or Eco-boost, or F250 gas.

/ Rust again, aluminum Ford the answer? #2  
Change from steel to aluminum,,
you will be changing from one problem to another,,

There is no magic bullet,,
and the manufacturers are making sure that you will be on the band wagon of buying new in 6 years,,,

Check the price of fixing a dented aluminum fender,,
the bubbling rust will look like a low cost problem.

/ Rust again, aluminum Ford the answer? #3  
Change from steel to aluminum,,
you will be changing from one problem to another,,

There is no magic bullet,,
and the manufacturers are making sure that you will be on the band wagon of buying new in 6 years,,,

Check the price of fixing a dented aluminum fender,,
the bubbling rust will look like a low cost problem.

Don't dent your fender. None of my truck have any dents or damage. I have zero concerns with rust due to our climate but after seeing newer trucks rusting away I don't know how you can afford to not get an aluminum bodied truck

Brett

/ Rust again, aluminum Ford the answer?
Insurance will cover dents but not rust. From what I've read, they don't cost any more to insure.

/ Rust again, aluminum Ford the answer? #5  
I think rustyshakelford has the right answer. Climate is a BIG factor in vehicle rust. My Ford F-150 is a 2005 and my Jeep is a 2006. Neither have any signs of rust. For that matter - when I traded in my 1982 Ford 1710 tractor in 2009 for the current Kubota - the 27 year old tractor had no signs of rust what-so-ever.

Our climate is considered "semi-arid". If our humidity ever gets above 25% to 30% we begin to suffer.

/ Rust again, aluminum Ford the answer? #6  
Yes 2015 for the F150. Think 2017 for the superduty

/ Rust again, aluminum Ford the answer? #7  
Ford changed for weight. No rust is just bonus

/ Rust again, aluminum Ford the answer? #8  
Rust... well... I have a 2016 V10 F450 4x4 dump with 6,000 miles on it.. just dropped it off for 2 manifolds and ended up needing a head as well. ( bolts were not coming out ) I looked under the truck and there is rust starting on the body seams. I. Going to trade it in the next week or so as soon as I make the right deal on a new one. I think I'm going with a Ford again with the aluminum body.

/ Rust again, aluminum Ford the answer? #9  
   / Rust again, aluminum Ford the answer?
I actually flushed that area out but was probably to late since I bought it used.