Ram hemi engine tap

/ Ram hemi engine tap #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
My 2015 Ram 1500 is at the dealership now where it has sat all weekend. It has an intermittent tap/tick at startup which in the past went away within a few seconds.
Then I went on vacation and let the truck sit for ten days. This time the tap took a full ten minutes to go away. Ten minutes...I let it idle, revved it slightly, no change, drove slowly to the barn, and just after ten minutes on my watch the noise went away.

The dealership's response to this, and I have brought this up to them three times already, so it's on file, is that this engine needs to be started regularly. Really?
And does that explain ten minutes of tapping? Of course not.

I know they will call me today and tell me NPF, no problem found. There are lots of posts about hemi tap/ticks online. None seem to say the engine blows up, and if this was only for a few seconds, I would just ignore, despite not liking it. But ten minutes tells me I have a blockage I believe of some sort that finally cleared. And of course there are no codes thrown off to tell anyone anything.

This hemi is electronic, has variable valves, cylinder shut down, lots of complexity that adds to this issue. I was told the older hemis did not have this problem at all, so I think it's something in the new valve train that is causing the problem. A plugged oil orifice perhaps. But there is no way I'm pulling my rv with this truck wondering if some part is not getting enough oil.

What would you guys do if this was your truck? I love the truck, air bag suspension, very comfortable, powerful, and had intended to keep it.
I had a VW Golf diesel once and boy am I experienced in having dealers lie to me. VW is the worst, lied to me twice, this is a company without morality.
So I'm not confident FCA/Ram would fess up here if they had a problem until they had to.

Do any of you with late model hemis have this problem?
Can you suggest a solution other than selling the truck?
I'm about ready to go buy a new F150 with no other solution.
thanks
Drew

/ Ram hemi engine tap #2  
Sounds like a hydraulic lifter acting up.

/ Ram hemi engine tap #4  
I'd ask the stealership to show you in the owners manual where it states that you should start it "regularly" and to find that definition in writing of how frequently that "regularity" is.

I do not have the hemi in my ram (v6 pentastar) but am going through something similar with my GPS - call Chyrsler customer SERVICE and ensure the service calls are written up on your national VIN records as well...

/ Ram hemi engine tap #5  
If you are okay with keeping the truck factory stock, I would call Tom and get the FCA factory Max Care Lifetime Service Contract with $250 deductible. This way you are "bumper to bumper" (not including normal wear items like bulbs, brakes clutch disk) for lifetime of the vehicle out to the point that a single repair exceeds the remaining value of the car/truck. At that point, you are paid by check the remaining vehicle value and the policy is terminated. You decide, use that check and add cash to fix it.... or use that check as a down payment for the next car/truck/SUV and start over. I have 2 vehicles with the Max Care Lifetime. It's a FANTASTIC option if you do not mind leaving the car factory stock and you plan to marry it until death due you part.

Tom is the cheapest way to buy this contract in the United States. Call him. Or go buy a V-8 powered F-150 if you want anvil reliability. Sadly...Jeep/Ram/Dodge is not known for reliability. I have a 2017 Ram Rebel Hemi with the Max Care lifetime and a 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk with the Max Care lifetime. My 2014 Wrangler is modified to the hilt, so it's warranted by my wallet. My daughters 2003 Grand Cherokee was bought used... so again... my wallet.

The fellow you all want to talk to is:
Tom Winkles
Finance Manager
HAYES JEEP
3718 Stadium Drive
Kalamazoo, MI. 49008
269-488-2080

/ Ram hemi engine tap #6  
Yes the infamous Hemi Tick, I have a 06 Jeep Commander 5.7 Hemi and the tick forever. If you think the problem is the MDS,Multi Displacement System with 4 of the cylinders shutting down you can turn that off by shifting into a gear like 5 or anything other than D. On mine I have a "Tow Haul" button that also will shut off the MDS. I towed a lot of times but only a boat and utility trailer with no problems. The tick seems not related to the MDS. No one seems to have a cure for the TICK and say not to worry as all of them do it. Another tick like sound is an exhaust leak from the exhaust manifolds bolts breaking, but it is famous on the 4.7 V8s more than a Hemi. I have a lifetime power train contract so I'm not worried.:)

/ Ram hemi engine tap #7  
I wonder if the dealer starts all the vehicles on their lot regularly.
Was this always a problem? Did you notice it after an oil change? Have you had an oil change after you started hearing it?

/ Ram hemi engine tap #8  
My Hemi tick is caused by two broken exhaust manifold bolts on the driver side at the rear of the manifold (towards the cab). 2012 2500 5.7L 180,000 miles

/ Ram hemi engine tap #9  
Was going to mention that it could be an exhaust leak.

Many times people mistake a exhaust leak as a lifter ticking. Wouldnt hurt to double check

/ Ram hemi engine tap
Since it would normally go away, and then this time didn't, for ten minutes, but then did go away, doesn't sound like an exhaust issue or it would keep making the noise, right?

Dealer just called back, said they started it up late morning, made "normal 5.7 tick" (normal huh?) and then allegedly the mechanic heard "something else". So they are taking the
"silver heads" off tomorrow. Hmmm, meaning valve covers? Hard to believe they would take the head off first but...

I use the recommended oil and it ticked on dino oil and then it ticked when I switched to full synthetic, so not the oil.
I'm glad they are at least looking into it. Ten minutes tapping is nonsense.