Tesla semi

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Tesla semi #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
Coming next month. This has always made sense to me because a big truck has the size and power to haul a lot of batteries around.
Now what about a high speed wind turbine on top? or somewhere...generate electricity while you drive down the interstate, help charge your batteries in
addition to the entire top of the trailer being solar panels one would assume.
Big long haul trucks average perhaps 500hp today. Let's assume the electric folks are going for the lighter weight loads to start.
So four 100 hp electric motors and 2500 torque. Instant torque. Half to be careful with loads and traction perhaps.

Everything will likely be automatic, trucks will move along in long adaptive cruise control controlled lines.
Until Larry Loser in the passing lane sees his exit while texting and rips across four lanes right in front of
Musk's giant moving battery powered truck. Then we'll see what safety tricks he has up his sleeve.
If you have seen the Youtube video of the newish Volvo semi stopping in a remarkably short space avoiding a collision
with a car that pulled right in front of them, you can tell there is a new day for big trucks coming. At least for the major operators.

If they can make the economic and ecological case for electric semis, I think we will start to see these on the highway.
Will guess that intercity will be first. Not like these things are going to fit in his supercharger setups he has already built; those are all regular parking spaces.
Somebody has to take the first step and Tesla seems to like that role. I just wonder when he is going to run out of money...his money
and ours. I hope he doesn't; what has been accomplished is remarkable.

Cab companies have gone hybrid and I think in some test cases plug in.

I don't think diesel is dead anytime soon, but how soon do you think you might be driving an electric truck?

Attachments

• tesla-semi-truck-1507041200.jpg
    tesla-semi-truck-1507041200.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 767
   / Tesla semi #2  
Coming next month. This has always made sense to me because a big truck has the size and power to haul a lot of batteries around.
Now what about a high speed wind turbine on top? or somewhere...generate electricity while you drive down the interstate, help charge your batteries in
addition to the entire top of the trailer being solar panels one would assume.
Big long haul trucks average perhaps 500hp today. Let's assume the electric folks are going for the lighter weight loads to start.
So four 100 hp electric motors and 2500 torque. Instant torque. Half to be careful with loads and traction perhaps.

Everything will likely be automatic, trucks will move along in long adaptive cruise control controlled lines.
Until Larry Loser in the passing lane sees his exit while texting and rips across four lanes right in front of
Musk's giant moving battery powered truck. Then we'll see what safety tricks he has up his sleeve.
If you have seen the Youtube video of the newish Volvo semi stopping in a remarkably short space avoiding a collision
with a car that pulled right in front of them, you can tell there is a new day for big trucks coming. At least for the major operators.

If they can make the economic and ecological case for electric semis, I think we will start to see these on the highway.
Will guess that intercity will be first. Not like these things are going to fit in his supercharger setups he has already built; those are all regular parking spaces.
Somebody has to take the first step and Tesla seems to like that role. I just wonder when he is going to run out of money...his money
and ours. I hope he doesn't; what has been accomplished is remarkable.

Cab companies have gone hybrid and I think in some test cases plug in.

I don't think diesel is dead anytime soon, but how soon do you think you might be driving an electric truck?

What is the amount of government subsidy in each one of those?

/ Tesla semi
What is the amount of government subsidy in each one of those?

I don't know, though I wonder how much of the debt is govt backed.
How about all those solar panel companies we ate the bill for?
Just hope this isn't going to happen again.

/ Tesla semi #4  
It'll be interesting. Tesla already does 800+HP in their cars so power generation isn't an issue.

We just came back from a jaunt up the mountains, didn't have to touch the brakes once coming back down for ~40mi. The battery pack makes a great place to store energy running downhill.

Also daugen, I fully expect to that this thread will get locked in ~5 pages. There's more than a few people here who like to come out of the woodworks any time EVs are mentioned and they don't really keep things civil.

/ Tesla semi #5  
It'll be interesting. Tesla already does 800+HP in their cars so power generation isn't an issue.

We just came back from a jaunt up the mountains, didn't have to touch the brakes once coming back down for ~40mi. The battery pack makes a great place to store energy running downhill.

Also daugen, I fully expect to that this thread will get locked in ~5 pages. There's more than a few people here who like to come out of the woodworks any time EVs are mentioned and they don't really keep things civil.

Sounds like you might know a bit about Tesla.

Have they ever made an actual profit yet, as a company?

/ Tesla semi #6  
Not yet, but they're in massive capital expansion so it's expected. Their margins minus expansion + R&D are well above similar mfgrs. If they weren't doing Model 3 + Semi they could turn a nice profit right now but that doesn't tend to be how Musk operates(see SpaceX).

We've had our Tesla for ~2.5 years, super happy and the car has been awesome. Still have 98% capacity at 61k miles and it doesn't have any right to drive nearly as well as it does for a five thousand pound car.

Happy to answer any questions, if you want.

/ Tesla semi #7  
Most owners seem to be very satisfied with the vehicles. Im glad you are satisfied with yours. A few have complained about service. Have you ever had any service done by Tesla? How was it? Do you have anyone other than Tesla that can service it?

/ Tesla semi #8  
Now what about a high speed wind turbine on top? or somewhere...generate electricity while you drive down the interstate, help charge your batteries

:banghead:

That wind turbine produces drag. That drag has to be overcome. That drag has to be overcome by using more electricity from the battery. In a perfect (non-existent) world, where systems are 100% efficient, the most electricity you could generate from a wind turbine would be exactly equal to the force required to drive wind turbine.

It's exactly like trying to cool your room by powering a fan from a wind turbine driven by... your fan.

Perpetual motion - fan blowing on sail.jpg

Perpetual motion - generator driving motor.jpg

Perpetual motion - magnet in front of truck.jpg

The Museum of Unworkable Devices

/ Tesla semi #9  
Ironically Komatsu is working on a joint venture for a dump truck that generates electricity(Meet the E-dumper, the world's largest electric vehicle). However it's from hauling rock downhill so it doesn't violate any conservation of energy laws. Goes up empty and then generates electricity during braking on the downhill.

On the maintenance front there's not really a ton to do on a Tesla(or any EV for that matter). There's one at 50k for swapping the coolant in the pack, but aside from that the other ones are just inspections. I did have Tesla do it since I was pretty busy at the time. They've got a little long of a wait but nothing unbearable.

Aside from the coolant and tires there's pretty much nothing for maintenance on the car. You only use the brakes at < 5mph so for all purposes they aren't a wear item. If you have cheap electricity like we do in WA($0.07/kWh) then the running costs are a fraction of similar car.

/ Tesla semi #10  
I could see us getting a Tesla next time around. Haven't drove one yet but ride comfort and safety is very important to me. I have bought three BMW 7 series cars 1988, 98, and now wife driving an 08. But I always buy them coming off a 3 year lease with 30K miles on them. I'm an F-150 guy myself but don't mind driving her car when we go out together! Maybe we change it up in '18.

Curious as to ride quality, noise, etc with Tesla.

Status
Not open for further replies.