How do you chain down your 50 HP tractor for transport?

/ How do you chain down your 50 HP tractor for transport?
Is that the picture you meant to attach? I am easily confused. :confused2:

What I meant to say is that I want to have four chains with one at each corner. I can figure the back of the tractor out with a chain in the drawbar clevis. Up front is another matter.

I could just wrap a chain through the weight bracket and hook to each side of the trailer. What would be better-- so I could have my two separate chains up front-- would be to put one or two clevis hooks in the weight bracket holes and put the chain through that. If I do that, when I tighten the chain it will pull the clevis at a sideways angle and put pressure on the pin of the clevis. I don't think I want that?

Hookup would be easier if I could use some 1/4" grade 80 alloy chain that I have. How do I know if it's OK to use?

/ How do you chain down your 50 HP tractor for transport? #23  
Hookup would be easier if I could use some 1/4" grade 80 alloy chain that I have. How do I know if it's OK to use?

Six, I believe if you do some Google searching you can find your State's laws regarding this subject. I think they will talk in tensile strength of the chain rather than inch size. I'll ask my Son how that's determined if I see him today.

Six, I believe if you do some Google searching you can find your State's laws regarding this subject. I think they will talk in tensile strength of the chain rather than inch size. I'll ask my Son how that's determined if I see him today.

Will do. Never have done this before.

EDIT: Lots of good info but confusing. I'm going to use 5/16" chain just to err on the side of caution As well, straps look to be OK as long as they meet the standards of strength required. I never "X"d restraints before but will do that as well.

Last edited:
   / How do you chain down your 50 HP tractor for transport? #25  
I have a similar set up with my M9540. I put a bolt (grade 8 with a bushing over it) through one of the holes in my drawbar and run the chain behind it. If the drawbar isn’t in the tractor a chain should fit where the draw bar goes.

On the front I just go over the brush guard with a chain and let it sit right below where the hood closes.

I have a similar set up with my M9540. I put a bolt (grade 8 with a bushing over it) through one of the holes in my drawbar and run the chain behind it. If the drawbar isn’t in the tractor a chain should fit where the draw bar goes.

On the front I just go over the brush guard with a chain and let it sit right below where the hood closes.

Explain running the chain behind the bolt in the drawbar. I can't visualize what you mean.

/ How do you chain down your 50 HP tractor for transport? #27  
Explain running the chain behind the bolt in the drawbar. I can't visualize what you mean.

There are two 11/16” holes in my drawbar about half way to the tractor. I took a 5/8” Grade 8 bolt around 5” long and put a lift arm bushing over it. I think the bushing is a Cat 0-1 bushing. Stick it in one of the holes and tightened it up. You can put a washer on top of the bushing and it makes a little channel for the chain to sit in.

Chain is pulling down and backwards so it can’t come off unless the chain gets loose. I haul it with pull type equipment attached so a clevis wouldn’t work for me.

There are two 11/16” holes in my drawbar about half way to the tractor. I took a 5/8” Grade 8 bolt around 5” long and put a lift arm bushing over it. I think the bushing is a Cat 0-1 bushing. Stick it in one of the holes and tightened it up. You can put a washer on top of the bushing and it makes a little channel for the chain to sit in.

Chain is pulling down and backwards so it can’t come off unless the chain gets loose. I haul it with pull type equipment attached so a clevis wouldn’t work for me.

Thank you. I often have an implement as well so understand the problem.

/ How do you chain down your 50 HP tractor for transport? #29  
The one time the dealer came to pick up my M6040 - I don't have a "tractor hauling trailer"- it was with a tilt bed truck. They used six chains. One at each wheel and one over the bucket and the sixth over the rear blade. Unfortunately, I do not remember the exact tie down method. But it was the same for each wheel - the chain attached to the bed ahead of the wheel - wrapped around the axle - and attached to the bed, again, behind the wheel. Each chain had an adjustable tensioner. They had some specific method of preventing scratches etc with the "chain around the axle" technique but I didn't check that closely.

I could guess that it may have been some type of nylon or leather sleeve on the chain when it was wrapped around the axle.

/ How do you chain down your 50 HP tractor for transport? #30  
Thank you. I often have an implement as well so understand the problem.

A4A7BEE0-5848-43AE-9942-EEC27F4F0CDA.jpg
It’s not a great picture but here is the setup.