How do you chain down your 50 HP tractor for transport?

/ How do you chain down your 50 HP tractor for transport? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, KubotaL4300, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I haul farm stuff using four straps with one on each corner and extras on implements. Have done it for years and it's no big deal for a few miles on the back roads with an 18' trailer. I have hooks (clevis) on tractors so it's easy to hook up. Now I need to make some longer trips and am switching to 5/16" chains. I have two ratchet and two lever binders.

How would you hook these chains to the tractor using one on each corner? It seems everything is in the way, especially with an implement on. With no implement, I could put a clevis in the drawbar and hook to that. The front has weights in the way and the axle has a tie rod in the way on each side so the front is difficult as well.

How would you tie this down? I'll add, without scratching everything up? I would like to use one chain on each corner if possible. Kubota if it matters.

/ How do you chain down your 50 HP tractor for transport? #2  
I think you would have more room if you crossed your chains in the front and back. Some pictures would help.

/ How do you chain down your 50 HP tractor for transport? #3  
Mine's not 50HP but tie down would be the same. I have D rings in front and twisted clevis in back. 4 Chains drop through them easily, 2 front ,2 back with ratchet binders. Chains over bucket and rear implement.

Attachments

• DSCN1101 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1101 (Small).JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,046
  • DSCN1081 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1081 (Medium).JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 854
   / How do you chain down your 50 HP tractor for transport?
Mine's not 50HP but tie down would be the same. I have D rings in front and twisted clevis in back. 4 Chains drop through them easily, 2 front ,2 back with ratchet binders. Chains over bucket and rear implement.

Do you just run one chain through the back clevis and hook to each side or do you have a separate chain for each side? I often have an implement on and have no drawbar for the clevis so then what?

On the front, is that OK to bolt to the brush guard? It seems that enough tension would bend the guard? I don't know, I'm just tossing that out. A chain puts a lot of tension on things.

Here are some samples with straps and just going to a back road. I do use the blue straps up front and in back I also use the blue straps with the lock hook.

IMG_6747.JPG

IMG_6741.JPG

EDIT--In the front, is it legal to hook a clevis into the weight bracket and chain to that?

Last edited:
   / How do you chain down your 50 HP tractor for transport? #5  
Six,
You can use the pin hole(s) for the draw bar to attach one or even two clevis for a rear attachment point. I typically use one chain but two would be easy.

IMG_20170319_164104795_HDR-4008x2255.jpg

Six,
You can use the pin hole(s) for the draw bar to attach one or even two clevis for a rear attachment point. I typically use one chain but two would be easy.

View attachment 526678

Any closer pics of that clevis? Is one chain just as good as two? Sometimes I get up around 8,000 lbs.

/ How do you chain down your 50 HP tractor for transport? #7  
Any closer pics of that clevis? Is one chain just as good as two? Sometimes I get up around 8,000 lbs.

Nothing better right now. It's just a big 'ol clevis that the pin fit through the housing where the drawbar pin would go.

I'm certainly not any more knowledgeable than you are about what is safe load retention. That weight is about right for me too.

I do 6 chains. 3 on the tractor frame. 1 on the loader frame. 1 chain on the 3pt implement or QH. 1 chain on the loader attachment.

My personal theory is that, assuming you have enough chains, it is better if the go from one side of the trailer to the other. Here's why: If a chain only goes to midline and becomes unfastened there seems to be a huge potential for an unbalanced load as the other side maintains tension. :2cents:

/ How do you chain down your 50 HP tractor for transport? #8  
Here is the front without a bucket.

I could definitely be talked into two lateral rear chains to that clevis if you have a better argument.

IMG_20170319_164045420-4008x2255.jpg

/ How do you chain down your 50 HP tractor for transport? #9  
On the front, is that OK to bolt to the brush guard? It seems that enough tension would bend the guard? I don't know, I'm just tossing that out. A chain puts a lot of tension on things.

I don't like his setup because the bolts and D-rings look wimpy. I usually just throw a chain across the brush guard and feel pretty good about that. I did manage to pull the brush guard 1/2 off with my rollback winch. IMG_0133.JPG

4570Man--So would I be OK to put a clevis into my front weight bracket and chain to that? One chain through and hooked to each side? It would take enormous pressure to damage that because it's bolted to the tractor and can hold 1100 lbs.

These are good responses and I'm starting to understand what to do.