2.7EB vs 3.5EB?

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #12  
I have the 3.5 EB in my 2011 SCREW 6-1/2' bed with 97,000 miles, max tow package 3.73 gears 4x4 and love it! Test drove a 2.7 EB in a similarly equipped truck and the only shortfall was passing from 70-80mph, it had to downshift where my 3.5 simply roars on by without downshifting. I bought my truck for towing and don't give much of a rip about gas mileage, if I wanted to sip gas I'd buy a Prius. With trucks and heavy towing it's pretty much pay to play.

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB?
A few options I wanted but were missing on a lot of trucks. 36 gallon tank, tow package, electronic locker, 3.55 or 3.73 gears, and the XLT trim level. My truck came with the tow package but no brake controller, which seems pretty silly. It痴 easy to add your self but you have to buy the software called Forscan to make the truck recognize it. I just had the dealer add it.

A common complaint is the headlights. My opinion is they shine down the road well but not wide enough. You can swap bulbs and do some other things to help. I haven稚 done so yet but might do that if I don稚 think I知 blinding other drivers.

Ford designed these trucks so all options can be added at anytime, remote start from ford beats any aftermarket system. Your dealer can add the integrated brake controller, should not be too bad a price.

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #14  
If you paid for the ForScan Windows software, you got ripped off, its available for free from Download FORScan

Aaron Z

No I did not pay for it. I had the dealer install my brake controller. It is my understanding you need a chord to hook up to your truck and it is like $10 to use Forscan. The brake controller is maybe $100 of the Internet. The dealer charged me about $200 to install it. Being a brand new truck I just had them do it.

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #15  
No I did not pay for it. I had the dealer install my brake controller. It is my understanding you need a chord to hook up to your truck and it is like $10 to use Forscan. The brake controller is maybe $100 of the Internet. The dealer charged me about $200 to install it. Being a brand new truck I just had them do it.
That is correct, I have a $12 ELM 327 Bluetooth adapter that I wired a HS/MS CAN switch into and I use it with FORScan from my laptop and phone (I bought FORScan Light for my phone). It happily talks to my 2008 Taurus X and let me re-program the keys to lock out the old key (I got it with 1 key, then bought 3 aftermarket keys for it).

Aaron Z

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #16  
What do you mean by "fall on its face with the higher rpm's"? My lease is up in April, and I will be choosing an engine then as well.

The EB engines have wide and flat torque curves; they are not "revvers" in any manner. So you don't need or use high RPMs. My 3.5 EB Flex keeps up with traffic (or passes it) without ever hitting 50% of redline (I just bought it off of lease, 'cuz I don't have the spare cash to upgrade to a Super Duty as planned.)

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #17  
I have a 2017 F-150 3.5 EB, SuperCrew, 6.5' bed, Lariat. 3.55 rear with the trailer towing package. So far, with about 5K miles, I love this truck. Overall mileage is just under 20mpg including some towing. It pulls my flatbed with my L3400 like it's not even there, maybe as good as my '03 Duramax. This truck is quieter than my Lincoln MKX was. Highly recommend it!

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #18  
I have the 3.5 EB in my 2011 SCREW 6-1/2' bed with 97,000 miles, max tow package 3.73 gears 4x4 and love it! Test drove a 2.7 EB in a similarly equipped truck and the only shortfall was passing from 70-80mph, it had to downshift where my 3.5 simply roars on by without downshifting. I bought my truck for towing and don't give much of a rip about gas mileage, if I wanted to sip gas I'd buy a Prius. With trucks and heavy towing it's pretty much pay to play.

Towing 10,500 pounds isn't a problem with the 3.5L Ford F15 ecoboost towing heavy - YouTube

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #20  
The choice of 165 cubic onches or 214 cubic inches. One is small and the other is tiny. Go with the 3.5. You don’t Purchase a truck for mileage and more power is better . The difference in mileage won’t save enough $$$ to purchase a case of beer a year.

Last edited: