2.7EB vs 3.5EB?

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #1  

WilliamBos

Tractor
MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle
Ok, looking for info/experiences with both. Love the 2.7EB - has more torque than any LS that I have owned. The empty mpg, cgi block yet gobs of torque.

The 3.5EB has more of both, but not as good empty mpg.

Built a SCrew 4x4 2.7 EB with towing package which specs 3:73 gears. How is empty mpg?

Will tow 7,000 once a year, 2.7EB should fit nicely, no?

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #2  
No personal experience with the 2.7 or the 3.5 but I am a recent F150 5.0 owner. I bought a leftover 2017 about 2 months ago. I got the 5.0 because it was the best deal and the most available leftover 2017's and I got it for about 10k off sticker. I would have considered a 3.5 but there weren't as many to pick from and the ones that were available seemed to be priced higher.

I also have been following the F150 forums and a couple things I have sorted through. First off, you think some of the 3.5 owners and 5.0 owners are mortal enemies. Each think they own the best engine. Second, in real world driving, I think the 3.5 and the 5.0 get similar fuel mileage. I think in real world driving the 2.7 gets better than either.

The 3.5 appears to be the best for towing with the 5.0 a close second. I always think of a turbo motor as being high reving but it appears it has much better torque at low rpm's than the 5.0. I think this is also the case with the 2.7, that it makes its power and low rpm's. I also think in real world driving the 2.7 has plenty of power.

I know like a lot of trucks you have to equip them correctly to tow what you want. Mine has the 7040 payload package and the tow package, but not the HD tow package. Like is often talked about on this Forum you run out of pin weight before tow weight and this is the case with the F150. Mine lists the the payload on the door jamb sticker of 1940 lbs. This is on the high end, I've seen them as low as 1640 lbs. This number doesn't include driver and passengers.

So take your 7000 lb trailer. Take the low end of the load stickers and says its 1600 lbs GVW. Take passengers and gear of 500 lbs. That leaves you with 1100 lbs of pin weight. Take a 10% pin weight and you are well under the 1100 lbs but says its more like 15% and you are at the max weight you can tow with your 7000 lb trailer. I think the max tow lists something like a 12,500 lb tow weight but its rare the truck will take that much pin weight unless you get a 2 wheel drive truck with very few options.

So yes, I think the 2.7 will do what you want, just make sure you equip it to do the job you want.

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #3  
Just about to click over 40K miles on my 2.7. I can honestly say, the most impressive 40K miles I've ever put on a vehicle. The 2.7 is an absolute gem. I have a lifetime average of 22, with occasional trailer towing (5-6K tandem flatbed) in the 15-16 range, seen as high as 28 running empty 55-60 two lane. And this is a super crew 4x4 SB. If you're only towing 7K or less a couple times per year, it's a no-brainer on the 2.7, IMO. When my lease runs out this spring, I'll be getting another 2.7, this time with the 10AT. As far as I'm concerned, every other .5T P/U is chasing this one, for overall performance & efficiency.

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #4  
I have a 2016 FX4 SCrew with the 2.7 with 14,000 miles on it and never had a problem. Initially I wanted the 5.0 but they are tough to find around here, even more so with the options I wanted. While I was at the dealership I found a truck with everything I wanted, even the color, but it had the 2.7. Dealer let me take it for a couple hours on my own and that sold me. I was very hesitant at first but you just have to drive the 2.7 to really understand. It does fall on it's face in the higher rpm' though, but the low end and mid range are tough to beat. Mine has the 3.55 gears and they fit me perfectly. I've never towed 7,000 with it but I wouldn't hesitate to do so. Ford has a home run with all 3 engines right now, you really can't go wrong with any of them. It comes down more to finding the options you want more than anything. The dealers around here love to order trucks with options I don't want.

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB?
Just about to click over 40K miles on my 2.7. I can honestly say, the most impressive 40K miles I've ever put on a vehicle. The 2.7 is an absolute gem. I have a lifetime average of 22, with occasional trailer towing (5-6K tandem flatbed) in the 15-16 range, seen as high as 28 running empty 55-60 two lane. And this is a super crew 4x4 SB. If you're only towing 7K or less a couple times per year, it's a no-brainer on the 2.7, IMO. When my lease runs out this spring, I'll be getting another 2.7, this time with the 10AT. As far as I'm concerned, every other .5T P/U is chasing this one, for overall performance & efficiency.

With numbers like that, i can live with the short bed.

What is 10AT package?

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #6  
10 speed auto. It was available with the 3.5 in 2017 and all of them for 2018.

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #8  
Bought a supercab, 4x4, towing package, 3.5EB, 10AT. Only have put 1000 miles on it so far, in the city. Steady 19 mpg. It was a toss-up on the 5.0L or the 3.5EB, for post retirement towing of a tractor and livestock (so I'm not in either cult). I like it, but have to warn you about the size. With the 6' 7" bed, it barely fits in the garage (inch in the back, enough to scoot by in front). S-Crew with that bed wouldn't fit my garage.

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #9  
A few options I wanted but were missing on a lot of trucks. 36 gallon tank, tow package, electronic locker, 3.55 or 3.73 gears, and the XLT trim level. My truck came with the tow package but no brake controller, which seems pretty silly. It’s easy to add your self but you have to buy the software called Forscan to make the truck recognize it. I just had the dealer add it.

A common complaint is the headlights. My opinion is they shine down the road well but not wide enough. You can swap bulbs and do some other things to help. I haven’t done so yet but might do that if I don’t think I’m blinding other drivers.

/ 2.7EB vs 3.5EB? #10  
I have a 2016 FX4 SCrew with the 2.7 with 14,000 miles on it and never had a problem. Initially I wanted the 5.0 but they are tough to find around here, even more so with the options I wanted. While I was at the dealership I found a truck with everything I wanted, even the color, but it had the 2.7. Dealer let me take it for a couple hours on my own and that sold me. I was very hesitant at first but you just have to drive the 2.7 to really understand. It does fall on it's face in the higher rpm' though, but the low end and mid range are tough to beat. Mine has the 3.55 gears and they fit me perfectly. I've never towed 7,000 with it but I wouldn't hesitate to do so. Ford has a home run with all 3 engines right now, you really can't go wrong with any of them. It comes down more to finding the options you want more than anything. The dealers around here love to order trucks with options I don't want.

What do you mean by "fall on its face with the higher rpm's"? My lease is up in April, and I will be choosing an engine then as well.