Best tow vehicle for 3 grand? Van, Suburban, or truck.

/ Best tow vehicle for 3 grand? Van, Suburban, or truck. #1  

DMax82

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE
Hey everybody, I've recently come up against a little bit of an obstacle. I am searching for a tractor in the 30-40hp range and want to ad a bush hog, grapple, and probably pallet forks, in addition to filling the rear tires. So a bit of weight. My 2005 Lexus GX470 is rated to tow 6500 pounds but I am nervous pulling such a load with it. My main trips would be just a few miles to the dealer and a 200 mile round trip to my parents' place to be made once a month or so. The latter has me nervous because there is a considerable climb involved. So I would like a heavier, stronger vehicle that could tow a loaded 10k rated trailer.

As the title references, I have about three thousand to spend. I realize this isn't much money but I have fairly low expectations and a lot of flexibility, as well as a high tolerance for cosmetic issues. There is a lot available at this price on Craigslist but I'm not sure of the quality. My main criteria are the ability to safely tow a heavy trailer, reliability/low maintenance costs, and ease of use. I have been mostly looking at gas engines for cost reasons, would prefer an automatic transmission, and don't want 4wd as I don't need it and it is just something more to break. Don't care about any features and am even okay without heat/ac, radio, and all other creature comforts.

It's hard to imagine me putting more than 5k miles a year on this vehicle. Would use it a little for hauling materials and doing other things besides towing tractor. Age and high miles don't scare me. I have identified three different types of vehicles that interest me, and have listed them below.

3/4 or one ton van - I like the Ford and GM cargo vans. They are heavy duty, have serious engines, and I could sleep in the back of it on the 2-3 winter camping trips I try to take in the mountains every year. I don't see many big vans towing trailers though. Anybody have experience doing so?

3/4 ton Suburban - I have always loved Suburbans and I could also sleep in the back of one of them. My mother used to have a 1500 and I liked towing with it. My biggest concern - would the 350 engine be stout enough for a 10k pound load? It seems that some have the 350, others have the 454 or 6.5 diesel.

3/4 or 1 ton Truck - I also love pickups! A truck would surely come in handy around the farm. I would love a one ton flatbed, but also like regular beds or utility beds. A dump would be perfect but I realize unlikely at my price point. No sleeping in the back but that's okay. The option for pulling a gooseneck would also be nice. A regular cab is all I need. Related to the suburban question, would a GM 350 or Ford 351 be sufficient on a 3/4 ton pickup? I realize I need one of the HD 3/4 tons instead of the light duty models.

So, any thoughts on which might best suit my towing needs? I just want a beast that can handle pulling (and stopping) heavy loads. It would also be nice to save the rough miles on my Lexus. Spending more money is possible, but unfortunately that would cut into my tractor budget.

Thanks so much for any help and advice! David.

/ Best tow vehicle for 3 grand? Van, Suburban, or truck. #2  
I picked up a 2005 F250 with a utility bed & 225k miles. Has the V8 in it. Pulls my L4060 (5klbs + impliments & trailer) fine.

I was in the same exact boat with a 2009 Tacoma (6,500lbs tow rating). It pulled my 3,500lbs of tractor on maybe a 3,000lbs trailer. Suspension was maxed, brakes weren't as firm as I'd like & I had to flight the engine hard to get any acceleration. It did it okish, but I promptly went & got a proper tow machine.

A 3/4 ton 2wd van might be a bit cheaper than a 4wd truck.

/ Best tow vehicle for 3 grand? Van, Suburban, or truck. #3  
Will have to be quick about 1/2 the people on here want the same thing.

/ Best tow vehicle for 3 grand? Van, Suburban, or truck. #4  
Tough price point. I’d open up to maybe 6k just to give you more options. I also wouldn’t rule out 4 wheel drive just to give you more options. In my area you would save a lot of money getting 2 wheel drive but there is also a lot less of them to choose from. In an older truck I’d probably look at a 3/4 ton or 1 ton and make sure it will tow the load you want.

I had a friend that had a 1 ton van and while it didn’t have a lot of power it did tow well and was stable.

/ Best tow vehicle for 3 grand? Van, Suburban, or truck. #5  
A 1 ton pickup would be best, but given the money you want to spend, I think I would watch for a 1 ton van (E-350). You can get a lot of van for little money, at least around here. For example, a 2006 E-350 for $4500 OBO in Dallas craigslist, and that is not unusual. People can't seem to give them away, probably because of the gas mileage.

/ Best tow vehicle for 3 grand? Van, Suburban, or truck. #6  
I wouldn't hesitate to tow locally with a $3K beater, but on a 200 mile trip? No way. That is just asking for trouble. It would have to be pretty **** reliable from top to bottom before I'd undertake that.

I am thinking back to childhood and young adult years when we towed a lot for boating and construction business, and let me tell you it can ruin your day, or 2-3 days, if you breakdown with a trailer on a long trip.

If you have significant uphill climbs or downhill descents, a reliable tow vehicle is even more important.

/ Best tow vehicle for 3 grand? Van, Suburban, or truck. #7  
I can tell you that my 1997 3/4 ton Suburban has no problem with a 10K lb trailer. And a few times as much as 12K lbs for shorter runs. All with the 5.7l and 4.10 axle.

Were I in your place, I'd look for a 4x4 pickup, 3/4 or 1 ton. If it was not a 4x4, it would have to have at least a locking diff. Could always get a cheap second hand camper shell for instant covered cargo carrying.

/ Best tow vehicle for 3 grand? Van, Suburban, or truck.
Thanks for all the great responses!

K7LN - I appreciate the insight on axle ratios. I hadn't considered that at all but certainly will factor them in going forward.

dodge man - thanks for the report on your buddy's van.

Argonne - vans aren't too popular here either, and seem to offer the most bang for the buck on Craigslist.

s219 - you raise a great point that has been in the back of my mind. A lot of the money I save from getting a cheaper vehicle could easily be eaten up by one breakdown on the side of the highway while towing my tractor. Not to mention the lost time.

Homeline - nice idea on the camper top. That could be the best of both worlds.

Well, I will see if I can bump up the budget a bit. I agree that 5-6k would get a much better vehicle. Really it comes down to what kind of deal I can get on a used tractor, what implements I buy, and how much cash I have left over.

I have toyed with the idea of selling the Lexus for ~$10k and having $13k to spend on a "do it all vehicle", but a big, gas guzzling vehicle wouldn't be practical for me on a daily basis. Fortunately I am not in a rush, can keep saving, and maybe sell a few things to raise funds.

Thanks again for all the help!

/ Best tow vehicle for 3 grand? Van, Suburban, or truck. #9  
Will have to be quick about 1/2 the people on here want the same thing.

30-odd years ago I was shopping for something similar, an under-$3k truck. One salesman laughed at me and said trucks like that rarely lasted a day on his lot. Seems like a lot of people want an inexpensive but serviceable truck. Finally gave up and bought a 3 year old F-150.

I dunno how it is where the OP lives, but around here lotsa luck finding anything roadworthy for $3k today. I made the mistake of buying a cheap truck once, it was a money pit. As others noted, I think you need to set your budget a bit more realistically. Hey, if you can afford a Lexus, you can afford a decent truck.

/ Best tow vehicle for 3 grand? Van, Suburban, or truck. #10  
Hey everybody, I've recently come up against a little bit of an obstacle. I am searching for a tractor in the 30-40hp range and want to ad a bush hog, grapple, and probably pallet forks, in addition to filling the rear tires. So a bit of weight. My 2005 Lexus GX470 is rated to tow 6500 pounds but I am nervous pulling such a load with it. My main trips would be just a few miles to the dealer and a 200 mile round trip to my parents' place to be made once a month or so. The latter has me nervous because there is a considerable climb involved. So I would like a heavier, stronger vehicle that could tow a loaded 10k rated trailer.

As the title references, I have about three thousand to spend. I realize this isn't much money but I have fairly low expectations and a lot of flexibility, as well as a high tolerance for cosmetic issues. There is a lot available at this price on Craigslist but I'm not sure of the quality. My main criteria are the ability to safely tow a heavy trailer, reliability/low maintenance costs, and ease of use. I have been mostly looking at gas engines for cost reasons, would prefer an automatic transmission, and don't want 4wd as I don't need it and it is just something more to break. Don't care about any features and am even okay without heat/ac, radio, and all other creature comforts.

It's hard to imagine me putting more than 5k miles a year on this vehicle. Would use it a little for hauling materials and doing other things besides towing tractor. Age and high miles don't scare me. I have identified three different types of vehicles that interest me, and have listed them below.

3/4 or one ton van - I like the Ford and GM cargo vans. They are heavy duty, have serious engines, and I could sleep in the back of it on the 2-3 winter camping trips I try to take in the mountains every year. I don't see many big vans towing trailers though. Anybody have experience doing so?

3/4 ton Suburban - I have always loved Suburbans and I could also sleep in the back of one of them. My mother used to have a 1500 and I liked towing with it. My biggest concern - would the 350 engine be stout enough for a 10k pound load? It seems that some have the 350, others have the 454 or 6.5 diesel.

3/4 or 1 ton Truck - I also love pickups! A truck would surely come in handy around the farm. I would love a one ton flatbed, but also like regular beds or utility beds. A dump would be perfect but I realize unlikely at my price point. No sleeping in the back but that's okay. The option for pulling a gooseneck would also be nice. A regular cab is all I need. Related to the suburban question, would a GM 350 or Ford 351 be sufficient on a 3/4 ton pickup? I realize I need one of the HD 3/4 tons instead of the light duty models.

So, any thoughts on which might best suit my towing needs? I just want a beast that can handle pulling (and stopping) heavy loads. It would also be nice to save the rough miles on my Lexus. Spending more money is possible, but unfortunately that would cut into my tractor budget.

Thanks so much for any help and advice! David.

I bought a 1997 K2500 4x4 Suburban ten years ago on E-Bay for $8300.
So....it was 10 years old then, and had 100,000 miles.
Flew to Albuquerque, NM., picked it up, and drove it home.
Today it is 20 years old, and has 130,000 miles
It is an absolute brute!
I LOVE IT!
Big brakes, and 454 V-8.
For towing, I use it maybe 2 or 3 times each year. Towing use is similar to your situation, once 250 miles each way, and usually a short trip or two of 20 miles or less.
I tow a (14,000 lb. GVWR) 20' equipment trailer (electric brakes), with my medium size Ford TLB aboard. Total trailer & tractor weight is exactly 12,000 lbs.
Some here may say that is too much weight, and perhaps it is.
I did add "Airlift" air bags, and I also use an "Equalizer" brand 14,000 lb. weight distribution hitch.
Bottom line: It tows GREAT, and I keep substantial distance between me, and the vehicle ahead.

I do think your budget should be increased to $5000, to get a reasonably reliable vehicle for your described use.