Dodge ram

/ Dodge ram #1  

greif

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar sx3100
I am thinking about getting a new ram 1500, deals are great right now. What are goods and bads about them as I have never had a Dodge.
Any advice about undercoating them?
Thanks

/ Dodge ram #2  
I've got a 2013 1500 Laramie, so far problem free with 60,000 miles. I replaced my 2003 Tahoe (300,000 miles) with the RAM. The Tahoe was also trouble free outside of wearing out parts due to the milage. As far as good and bad, nothing stands out over a Ford or GM outside of the interior. I think, and it is subjective, the RAM's interior and comfort exceeds the others.

I've never undercoated my vehicles and see no reason to do so. Driving in Michigan where salt is used on the roads, I've worn out the trucks before corrosion claimed them.

/ Dodge ram #3  
I'm not sold on the idea of coil spring rear suspension vs. leaf spring. For towing and heavy payloads, I think leaf springs are better "for the long haul." I had a '95 Ram 1500 and had to replace the tranny @ 122,000 but other than that it was a "Dependable Dodge."

Undercoating? In Wisconsin as in Michigan, your truck will rot fast anyway with or without undercoating. I think undercoating will provide more sound deadening benefits than corrosion protection.

/ Dodge ram #4  
The Dodge name no longer appears on the Ram trucks, only Ram. Bob

/ Dodge ram
Thanks guys
I know the old ones rotted out fast around the rear wheel wells but I have a bunch of co-workers that have this newer model and say that is not a problem anymore. I am in Wisconsin and My 98 gmc just started rusting about 2 years ago. But I keep vehicles long so would want corrosion protection.
A co-worker said with the hemi you are supposed to run mid grade gas in them, is that true? Although here mid grade is cheaper then regular since it is 15 percent alcohol
My hardest part is spending that much money.

/ Dodge ram #6  
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 big horn 4x4 v6 with 55k on it. It replaced a 2010 chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 with the v8.
Goods - ride with rear coil springs is far superior to the leaf springs on the chevy, fuel economy is outstanding (21mpg around town, 24 on the highway), the radio, Bluetooth, gps, and customizable displays blow away the chevy (when it works -see bads), the front/rear park assist and camera are impeccable, and make parking/maneuvering a breeze, outward visibility is also fantastic and a bit bette than the chevy.
Bads - Dealer support in my area sucks, and when there are issues I have to drive 40 miles south to have a competent shop service it. Gps has been inoperative and unable to locate my position since the vehicle was in warranty, the dealer and manufacturers solution was to wait for new software, for a year. When the new software was available and pushed over the air to my truck it didn't fix the problem and made it worse. So now the truck is out of warranty, the manufacturer says it is covered but the dealer who sold the vehicle won't touch it. The next dealer (40 miles away) will fix it, but I have to pay them and be reimbursed by the manufacturer. This tells me the dealers have a problem getting paid by fiat. Since the place that sold me the vehicle has a 2 star rating on yelp and dealer rater, and changes personnel every day I'm not surprised, but having a warranty problem that a dealer won't fix and earn their keep as a middleman between a consumer and a manufacturer shows ram is not going to ever make it while their dealer network is so poor. I can't even get fiat customer service to give me the contact information for the area rep who is an employee of fiat, so again it shows they have huge problems.
This is my 1st 1500, but I've had 3 dakotas previously, never had a problem.
I do think this will be my last Ram, it's just too hard to get things taken care of, I do think it's a better truck, but my Silverado had zero problems in 100k miles, but my service experience with the chevy dealers was always so much better than Ram.
MT

/ Dodge ram
Wow you get 21 in the city, sticker shows 16 city for v6

/ Dodge ram #8  
I have a 2016 1500 hemi and love it. Mileage not great about 19, but that's a big v8 so maybe not so bad. Ride and ride noise are outstanding. Doesn't seem to matter if empty, loaded need or trailer always smooth. It never has that light rear end feel that pickups often have.

Never had an issue with the GPS.

/ Dodge ram #9  
I believe Dodge is the only manufacturer offering a diesel engine in a 1500 payload. Are you looking at gas or diesel? I have not investigated the Dodge 1500 diesel but it's the first engine I would consider in that truck.

/ Dodge ram
Gas, originally thought about small diesel but an extra $4500 and that takes a lot of milage to justify the extra charge. Also not too many of those sitting on dealer lots since deals are on 2017's. Saleman said they have seen some of the small desiels coming back in with problems, he was not sure what the problems as he just heard it from service scheduler.

Anyone else have the v6, do you like it? Average mpg?
Thanks