recommendations for undercoating/ rustproofing

/ recommendations for undercoating/ rustproofing #1  

greif

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar sx3100
Bought a new truck,what are peoples recommendations for undercoating/ rustproofing, best, longest lasting etc.
thanks

/ recommendations for undercoating/ rustproofing #2  
My own preference is Krown. Goes on thin so it penetrates and creeps and then the carrier evaporates and leaves a light grease like surface that doesn't harden. I've tried rust Check and that doesn't seem to be there after a couple of months. The spray on tar like coatings don't last and crack holding moisture. My 2 cents worth............mike

/ recommendations for undercoating/ rustproofing #3  
Agree with Mike-I wouldn't use a Ziebart type rustproofing on anything. It tends to clog drain holes and dry up and crack..Not familiar with Krown, but if it's a penetrant and not a heavy coating that would be the ticket if you want to coat it--Fluid Film is another option although you gotta do that every year or so.

Personally, I haven't rustproofed any of my trucks in the last 25 years and PennDot loves them some salt and caustic brine here...I just keep them clean and haven't had any issues at all.

/ recommendations for undercoating/ rustproofing #4  
Here in VT I run a fluid film undercoating on both our rigs. Works great

/ recommendations for undercoating/ rustproofing #5  
Another vote for fluid film, but it's to cold to apply outside now.
Just rub a sheep on everything.

/ recommendations for undercoating/ rustproofing #6  
Another vote for fluid film, but it's to cold to apply outside now.
Just rub a sheep on everything.

My FIL has an auto shop at his house. Throw it on the lift and leave the heat on for a few hours :D

/ recommendations for undercoating/ rustproofing #7  
   / recommendations for undercoating/ rustproofing #8  
Fluid film for mine too. I just fog the inside of the doors and tailgate, and then a few key areas like rocker panel corners, etc.

/ recommendations for undercoating/ rustproofing #9  
My FIL has an auto shop at his house. Throw it on the lift and leave the heat on for a few hours :D

It would be a long drive for the OP from Kaukauna,Wi to even Western Vermont!

I just did my dually this SUMMER in Mississippi with temps around 90 deg F. Thankfully I've enough clearance I don't need a lift to slide under it.

/ recommendations for undercoating/ rustproofing #10  
Bought a new truck,what are peoples recommendations for undercoating/ rustproofing, best, longest lasting etc.
thanks
Krown is what I use..