Commuting

/ Commuting #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
It amazes me the number of people driving full size trucks, some 4x4, every day to work and back. When I first moved to my current house I drove a 4 cylinder Ford Ranger and was getting about 25 mpg. I then went to a 6 cylinder F150 in the early 2000's and was getting about 21 mpg. When the price of gas jumped to over 3$ I switched to a small car, a Hyundai Accent and get about 33-35 mpg. I've put over 190,000 on that little Accent and have saved a ton of money on gasoline, maintenance, and depreciation. I still keep a full size truck for occasional use but I probably put less than 1000 miles per year on it.

Does anyone else drive small cars anymore? I really don't see many on the road in our area. It's mostly trucks and suv's. I'm sure the sales numbers reflect that too.

Kevin

/ Commuting #2  
The Ford F150 is the #1 selling vehicle in America. That should tell you something. Maybe some people don't want to drive a little car, despite it's perceived savings...

/ Commuting #3  
It amazes me the number of people driving full size trucks, some 4x4, every day to work and back. When I first moved to my current house I drove a 4 cylinder Ford Ranger and was getting about 25 mpg. I then went to a 6 cylinder F150 in the early 2000's and was getting about 21 mpg. When the price of gas jumped to over 3$ I switched to a small car, a Hyundai Accent and get about 33-35 mpg. I've put over 190,000 on that little Accent and have saved a ton of money on gasoline, maintenance, and depreciation. I still keep a full size truck for occasional use but I probably put less than 1000 miles per year on it.

Does anyone else drive small cars anymore? I really don't see many on the road in our area. It's mostly trucks and suv's. I'm sure the sales numbers reflect that too.

Kevin
Wait until gas prices hit $3.50 gal.its a vicious cycle going back to the 1970,s oil embargo.I miss the chevy chevette,vega and ford pinto.True classics,LOL..

/ Commuting #4  
F250 4X4 Crew Cab sits most of the time, my commuter is a first gen Scion xb. I made the same observation years ago, most of my trips are just me. No need for anything big.

I also commute by bicycle but not as often as I'd like:

RFS TT.JPG

/ Commuting #5  
I drive a grand prix to commute, yeah I know it's not a tiny car, but it gets over 10mpg better than my 2500 ram does.

/ Commuting #6  

Kevin

How much is the lives of your family worth?
My Suburban will drive right OVER your little Accent and never know it was there.
MY family is SAFER.

/ Commuting #7  
I love driving my truck, except to the gas station. Not a fan of wedging my big butt into a smaller car. I'm over 6' and just never seem to be comfortable in a small car. Even my wife's Ford Edge seems small and it is a decent sized vehicle. I think it has more to do with sitting down into a car vs. climbing into a truck.

Dunno. To each his own I guess. :)

/ Commuting #8  
My Suburban will drive right OVER your little Accent and never know it was there.
MY family is SAFER.
Until the lawyers get involved== $$

/ Commuting #9  
MY family is SAFER.

A drunk driver hit my Kodiak. The driver of the kodiak walked away pissed off. A driver of a compact car wouldn't have faired as well.

/ Commuting #10  
I love driving my truck, except to the gas station. Not a fan of wedging my big butt into a smaller car. I'm over 6' and just never seem to be comfortable in a small car. Even my wife's Ford Edge seems small and it is a decent sized vehicle. I think it has more to do with sitting down into a car vs. climbing into a truck.

Dunno. To each his own I guess. :)
Love our trucks also not so much the MPG,s.

Attachments

• DSCN0203.JPG
    DSCN0203.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 382