Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA

Default Commuting

It amazes me the number of people driving full size trucks, some 4x4, every day to work and back. When I first moved to my current house I drove a 4 cylinder Ford Ranger and was getting about 25 mpg. I then went to a 6 cylinder F150 in the early 2000's and was getting about 21 mpg. When the price of gas jumped to over 3$ I switched to a small car, a Hyundai Accent and get about 33-35 mpg. I've put over 190,000 on that little Accent and have saved a ton of money on gasoline, maintenance, and depreciation. I still keep a full size truck for occasional use but I probably put less than 1000 miles per year on it.

Does anyone else drive small cars anymore? I really don't see many on the road in our area. It's mostly trucks and suv's. I'm sure the sales numbers reflect that too.

Kevin
    L3710 HST/LA681FEL/6ftRM/6ft Woods aerator/6ft Woods Box Scraper/roller/speader/posthole digger

Tractor
    Kubota B2320 Kubota ZD 331 Kubota L3301 Kubota 1140 RTV Kubota MX5100 Kubota KX 71

Default Re: Commuting

The Ford F150 is the #1 selling vehicle in America. That should tell you something. Maybe some people don't want to drive a little car, despite it's perceived savings...
    They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold; and I deem them mad because they think my days have a price. Kahlil Gibran

Tractor
    Kubota RTV 900, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .

Quote Originally Posted by NoTrespassing View Post
    It amazes me the number of people driving full size trucks, some 4x4, every day to work and back. When I first moved to my current house I drove a 4 cylinder Ford Ranger and was getting about 25 mpg. I then went to a 6 cylinder F150 in the early 2000's and was getting about 21 mpg. When the price of gas jumped to over 3$ I switched to a small car, a Hyundai Accent and get about 33-35 mpg. I've put over 190,000 on that little Accent and have saved a ton of money on gasoline, maintenance, and depreciation. I still keep a full size truck for occasional use but I probably put less than 1000 miles per year on it.

Does anyone else drive small cars anymore? I really don't see many on the road in our area. It's mostly trucks and suv's. I'm sure the sales numbers reflect that too.

Kevin
    Wait until gas prices hit $3.50 gal.its a vicious cycle going back to the 1970,s oil embargo.I miss the chevy chevette,vega and ford pinto.True classics,LOL..
    Kioti DK40se hst cab with KL401 loader,Kubota RTV 900,John deere X740,Kioti 73 inch tiller.Ingersoll 4020 3pt,troy bilt tiller,Billy goat brush cutter.

Tractor
    John Deere 790

F250 4X4 Crew Cab sits most of the time, my commuter is a first gen Scion xb. I made the same observation years ago, most of my trips are just me. No need for anything big.

I also commute by bicycle but not as often as I'd like:

Commuting-rfs-tt-jpg
    Rob
    John Deere 790, 70 FEL, 7 BH, 513 cutter and other fun stuff

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5083E MFWD, Kubota L3400 HST

I drive a grand prix to commute, yeah I know it's not a tiny car, but it gets over 10mpg better than my 2500 ram does.
    '11 John Deere 5083E, 563NSL Loader, MX10 Mower, 78" Bucket, Forks/Bale spear (interchangeable)
    L3400 Kubota HST Loader, finish mower, rake, scraper blade, Gin pole, Kustom Fab front hydraulic snow plow (Inspired by ASGAR)
    JD 550 Dozer 6 way blade and winch
    JD 450B Track Loader
    Case 480C Backhoe W/ Extend-a-hoe

'01 International 4700 LP, DT530, Allison MD3060, Air Ride, Crew Cab
    '11 Moritz 20+5 14.5K GN with adj. Tail
    ''08 700R Raptor

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ford 2N MF50 Ford 1510

Quote Originally Posted by NoTrespassing View Post

Kevin
    How much is the lives of your family worth?
    My Suburban will drive right OVER your little Accent and never know it was there.
    MY family is SAFER.

Tractor
    Kubota L3301

I love driving my truck, except to the gas station. Not a fan of wedging my big butt into a smaller car. I'm over 6' and just never seem to be comfortable in a small car. Even my wife's Ford Edge seems small and it is a decent sized vehicle. I think it has more to do with sitting down into a car vs. climbing into a truck.

Dunno. To each his own I guess.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by LD48750 View Post
    My Suburban will drive right OVER your little Accent and never know it was there.
    MY family is SAFER.
    Until the lawyers get involved== $$
    Kioti DK40se hst cab with KL401 loader,Kubota RTV 900,John deere X740,Kioti 73 inch tiller.Ingersoll 4020 3pt,troy bilt tiller,Billy goat brush cutter.

Tractor
    Kubota L3240, Kubota B7100, Kubota F2560, John Deer, F525 Mule 600

Quote Originally Posted by LD48750 View Post
    MY family is SAFER.
    A drunk driver hit my Kodiak. The driver of the kodiak walked away pissed off. A driver of a compact car wouldn't have faired as well.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Einthewoods View Post
    I love driving my truck, except to the gas station. Not a fan of wedging my big butt into a smaller car. I'm over 6' and just never seem to be comfortable in a small car. Even my wife's Ford Edge seems small and it is a decent sized vehicle. I think it has more to do with sitting down into a car vs. climbing into a truck.

Dunno. To each his own I guess.
    Love our trucks also not so much the MPG,s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Commuting-dscn0203-jpg   Commuting-img_0350-jpg  

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast