How many miles on your vehicle before sell or trade?

/ How many miles on your vehicle before sell or trade? #1  

Old Red

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 HDC
Historically (in my 43 years of living) I have been one who will get the itch and trade before my vehicle was worn out and buy a newer one. I have never bought a new vehicle for myself. However, I typically trade after owning for around 5 years because I will get the itch. The last time I traded was 8 years ago this week. Bought a 2007.5 used Chevy Durmax with 33,000 miles. Didn't sleep at all that week because I was so sick about trading and getting a new vehicle payment. The truck I traded in was a perfectly fine 1/2 ton chevy with around 115,000 miles.

Anyway, I still DO NOT have the itch and finally learned my lesson. I think that vehicle bug has left me...to me, there are far cooler things to own out there like tractors. My goal was to drive this truck until I hit 200K miles which is about double what I have done historically. Well, I'm at 150K and 200K is getting here quick....new and used truck prices are just atrocious! I have upped my goal now to 250K or a quarter million miles.

My reason for posting is this.....Please post up how many miles on your vehicle....or the most you have put on one? I need some benchmarks. I would like to know what most modern vehicles will do reliably....I WILL NOT drive the thing if I start having problems occur frequently...I want reliability, not some jalopy..... My best friend has 290K on his truck and he's about to replace a head gasket or something, air does not work, stutters, and just an overall piece of junk. I WILL TRADE when I get to doing stuff like that.

/ How many miles on your vehicle before sell or trade? #2  
2007 3/4 GMC Still runs great.. no problems.

/ How many miles on your vehicle before sell or trade? #3  
I just bought a 2018 silverado 2500HD. I traded in a 2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD with 168K miles. It had a number of small problems the greatest of which was that it would randomly start showing "service traction control and service 4 wheel drive". When it did this the cruise control would not work and the transmission shift points would change noticeably. I could reset this by shutting down for a few minutes. I traded in a 2000 silverado 2500 with 265K miles for the GMC Sierra when the transmission started shifting hard when it was hot.

/ How many miles on your vehicle before sell or trade? #4  
The way I look at it is this. If repairs for a year =or exceed the payments on a new one, then it is time to sell and buy another one. Regardless of mileage or age of the vehicle, this holds true for me. If you know that you are having some issues with a transmission or engine is practically worn out then you can add that in for the year total also rather than wait for them to explode. Then you know if it is time to put your troubles off on a new person. If it is still drivable, you will get some money for it. But if the engine is shot and transmission is bad, you wont get much more than salvage cost for it at that point.

/ How many miles on your vehicle before sell or trade? #5  
2007 3/4 GMC Still runs great.. no problems.

IMG_0007.JPG

/ How many miles on your vehicle before sell or trade? #6  
I am wondering who buys vehicles with 200K or more miles on them. I certainly wouldn't. Lots of folks trade in at 100K and get a good price for the vehicle, 200K likely not so much. So what happens to those 200-300K vehicles when you trade them in?

/ How many miles on your vehicle before sell or trade? #7  
I just went over 150k on my 2011 F150 (FX4 5.0l 4x4 super crew). I hope it goes for another 150k because I now have a new tractor payment, LOL :)

The truck is still solid and not rust, so hopefully it'll keep going. My next vehicle will be a late 70's chevy pickup that I can put money into rather than a new truck payment.

/ How many miles on your vehicle before sell or trade? #8  
   / How many miles on your vehicle before sell or trade? #9  
My business truck gets traded somewhere between 30 to 35,000 miles, usually 1 1/2 years
Wifey's truck every 3 years no matter what the mileage.

/ How many miles on your vehicle before sell or trade? #10  
I just traded my 2003 GMC Sierra with 181K for a 2018 Ford F-150. I bought the GMC new. It had several minor problems (I keep the major ones fixed) but the main reason I traded it was oil consumption was getting worse. It guess it was time after driving it for 15 years. New one sure is nice.