What size trailer will I need to transport tractor and implements?

/ What size trailer will I need to transport tractor and implements? #1  

sideskraft

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2540
I'm buying a '15 Mahindra 2540 from an individual and need to get it to my house, which is about 30 miles away. The tractor currently has a quick-attach snow plow on the loader. I'll also need to haul the loader bucket, a rear blade, and a 6' Mahindra rotary cutter. My idea is to first load the front plow at the front of the trailer, then load the back blade next to it. With the bucket on the loader and rotary cutter on the 3-point hitch, drive the tractor onto the trailer, and rest the bucket on top of the front plow and/or rear blade. My question is, will this all fit on an 18ft trailer, or will I need to rent a 20 footer? The tractor is 119" long and weighs about 4600 with loader. I'm hoping that I can get input from veterans who have hauled lots of tractors and implements and know how much space this stuff takes on the trailer.

/ What size trailer will I need to transport tractor and implements? #2  
Make two trips if needed. It is not that far

/ What size trailer will I need to transport tractor and implements? #3  
Fitting lengthwise is only part if the problem.you need to balance the load so 10-15% of the weight is on the hitch. To little & you fishtail, possibly rolling. To much & you crush your suspension and/or can't steer, then crash.

Don't forget all the proper chains, binders g other impliments.

If you are renting a trailer, call a wrecker or tow company. You may be surprised at the affordable rates if you are flexible on the time a bit.

/ What size trailer will I need to transport tractor and implements? #4  
What’s the tow vehicle and trailer capacity? I’d guess you can fit it in the 18’ trailer, but the cutter will likely hang off the back.

/ What size trailer will I need to transport tractor and implements? #5  
I don't think you'll have enough space unless towing with a pickup, then you can put some stuff in the bed. Figure the tractor is 10', mower is 6' plus 1-2' for the tail wheel and another 6-12" gap between the mower and tractor. Bucket probably sticks out 3' or so on the front so total length is near 20'. On my 16' trailer I can gain an extra foot or so by jumping the bucket over the front rail, so depending on your trailer you might be able to do that too. For me it also helps to get enough tongue weight as my tractor is tail heavy with the backhoe on. The mower will be sticking out the back at least a foot, so if you have flip-up ramps make sure you have tools to remove them once you get the tractor loaded. Good luck!

/ What size trailer will I need to transport tractor and implements? #6  
I guess maybe I misread the initial post. I thought the OP had an 18' trailer and was maybe going to rent a 20' trailer. If renting, get the longer trailer. I have a very small tractor, and with the end loader on and a brush mower, its a least 15 feet long.

/ What size trailer will I need to transport tractor and implements? #7  
I think you can make it fit. I think the initial idea in your post is good. You can always take the tail wheel off of the cutter or put the bucket and / or rear blade in the pickup bed. For 30 miles, even a poorly configured load can work if it is strapped down well. I've put small items on top of cutters and strapped them down - for example, your scrape blade.

I assume this is a 10K trailer. If not, please get a trailer that is rated for 10k. That is too much for a car hauler.

/ What size trailer will I need to transport tractor and implements? #8  
Agree that if you own an 18' trailer....try it an make 2 trips if needed.

If renting......longest one you can tow;)

/ What size trailer will I need to transport tractor and implements? #9  
I use a 16 foot trailer to transport my Kioti 5010 with FEL and BH. The smaller the trailer the less room for error in placing your equipment. The two greatest factors, by far, in doing this safely are tongue weight and a brake controller. Most light to medium duty tow vehicles (e.g. my Chevy Silverado) are limited to 600 pounds tongue weight unless you use a weight distribution hitch. I assume your trailer has functional brakes and your vehicle has a brake controller. If you don't have both of these, borrow or rent equipment, or as someone else suggested, call a professional tow company. I think you can fit everything on the trailer but to get the correct tongue weight you may have to accomplish a couple trials of placing the implements. A 20 foot trailer would be more convenient.

/ What size trailer will I need to transport tractor and implements?
Thanks all for the good suggestions. I'm renting an 18ft flat bed trailer from the dealer where the seller bought the tractor two years ago, which happens to be only 5 minutes from the seller's house. We'll load the tractor w/bush hog and probably front blade on that trailer, and the seller will pull it with his RAM 2500. I'm renting a 7x9 single axle trailer that will carry the bucket and rear blade, pulled by my full size Express 1500 van. This will make things much less crowded and less weight on the tractor trailer. I'm wondering what the typical 66 inch bucket weighs?