Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718

Default Re: Timbren Axle-less suspension

You are limited to 80kmh when towing in Europe. Or 90 for camper trailers because once a year towers usually stay 5kmh under the speed limit and trucks have a margin on their speed limiters so they drive 85kmh. This exception is made in Holland to stop truckers from being provoked to overtake and hinder the fast lane because a guy in a small family car is towing under the speed limit in the truck lane.

In Germany you are allowed to tow at 100kmh when the loaded trailer weight does not exceed the cars loaded weight and the trailer axles are equipped with shock absorbers.

The reason i asked about body roll is because the axle body forms a torsion bar between both suspension arms, and the bending of suspension arms is giving roll stability, while vertical travel is only limited by the leaf springs or air bags.

Axle less suspension is what it says on the tin: springs on both sides of the vehicle with no connection between them to give roll resistance.

Torsion axles are the same thing, but when i bought my dump trailer (and old 3 way dump bed of a truck, put high above the ground on a manure spreader undercarriage) the crosswind and high center of gravity caused a consistent sway as soon as i passed 70kmh. I drove 75kmh to not hinder trucking too much but it wasnt comfortable. Not even with my neighbours 4000 pound SUV pulling this 6000 pound load, though my trailer tracks like a freight train when loaded to 8000 pounds and my 3000 pound Volvo pulling it.

From my experience in the business i would want to test before buying, on an enclosed trailer that catches a lot of side wind, or with a high center of gravity.

Tractor
    Ford 3930

Good points Renze. Lateral sail-area can generate big forces in heavy side-winds.

Closest I can compare is a buddy's motorcycle trailer with torsion axles. Enclosed, single axle trailer, probably loaded to about 3/4 capacity. Pulled well at our freeway speeds, and probably 10 to 15% over, but that's with either a full sized van (Econoline) or a Class A RV. Well designed V nose on that trailer probably didn't hurt.

My interest in these axles is for relatively small off-road trailers.

Rgds, D.
    It is more important to understand Fizx than to know how to spell it.

Tractor
    Kubota L3240, Kubota B7100, Kubota F2560, John Deer, F525 Mule 600

Quote Originally Posted by Renze View Post
    You are limited to 80kmh when towing in Europe. Or 90 for camper trailers because once a year towers usually stay 5kmh under the speed limit and trucks have a margin on their speed limiters so they drive 85kmh. This exception is made in Holland to stop truckers from being provoked to overtake and hinder the fast lane because a guy in a small family car is towing under the speed limit in the truck lane.

In Germany you are allowed to tow at 100kmh when the loaded trailer weight does not exceed the cars loaded weight and the trailer axles are equipped with shock absorbers.

The reason i asked about body roll is because the axle body forms a torsion bar between both suspension arms, and the bending of suspension arms is giving roll stability, while vertical travel is only limited by the leaf springs or air bags.

Axle less suspension is what it says on the tin: springs on both sides of the vehicle with no connection between them to give roll resistance.

Torsion axles are the same thing, but when i bought my dump trailer (and old 3 way dump bed of a truck, put high above the ground on a manure spreader undercarriage) the crosswind and high center of gravity caused a consistent sway as soon as i passed 70kmh. I drove 75kmh to not hinder trucking too much but it wasnt comfortable. Not even with my neighbours 4000 pound SUV pulling this 6000 pound load, though my trailer tracks like a freight train when loaded to 8000 pounds and my 3000 pound Volvo pulling it.

From my experience in the business i would want to test before buying, on an enclosed trailer that catches a lot of side wind, or with a high center of gravity.
    Adjusted for exchange rate do truckers get paid more per mile there? Here trucks usually get to run 70mph and 85 out west isnít uncommon.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718

Quote Originally Posted by 4570Man View Post
    Adjusted for exchange rate do truckers get paid more per mile there? Here trucks usually get to run 70mph and 85 out west isn稚 uncommon.
    I dont think so. You cant make many miles before finding a junction or traffic jam, unless youre in international traffic. The days of trucks driving the fast lane are over, they have speed limiters for about 20 years. So when one can go 2 kmh faster than the other, overtaking takes a couple of miles which creates new traffic unsafeties...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12