Timbren Axle-less suspension

/ Timbren Axle-less suspension #2  
No experience but they look like one step above dexter torsion axles

/ Timbren Axle-less suspension
I have a good impression of Timbren, but no direct experience.

Rgds, D

/ Timbren Axle-less suspension #4  
Looks like they are going out of their way to re-invent suspensions.
I have seen a lot of "attempts" to make things better but never worried about my suspension being noisy! ??
Would you believe that back in the 60's they even built semi trailers with torsion bar suspension! Or coil springs!
In the low 70's I was cutting the (way overweight) Torsion Bar Suspensions off saving the axles and welding Fruehauf F-2 suspensions back on. The F-2 used simple radius rods, leaf springs and equalizers. KISS!

/ Timbren Axle-less suspension #5  
We have a small RV trailer that gets used on very rough mining roads here in Nevada. It originally came with leaf springs and a drop axle which was ridiculously low to the ground for what we use it for. I built a straight axle and mounted it on top of the spring shackles. This was a huge improvement for back roads but I worried about it being too high and top heavy.

I bought a set of Timbren “axles”for it but haven’t installed them yet. All I can say at this stage is that they are very will built and look like they were made for a military trailer. It will probably be several weeks before I get them installed.

/ Timbren Axle-less suspension #6  
I have run Trimbrens on my 2500HD GMC for many years and they are awesome. Pros, they are cheap and easy to install and will allow you to haul much heavier loads with ease. They are maintenance free, install them and forget about them. Retain you stock unloaded ride. Cons, While they work great with your truck unloaded or heavily loaded, they give you a harsh stiff ride with light loads or just a couple hundred pounds in the bed or a trailer with a lighter tongue weight. For me they would great because I am generally light of heavily loaded. If you vary loads greatly and travel long distances as such then you would be better off with air bags.

We have a small RV trailer that gets used on very rough mining roads here in Nevada. It originally came with leaf springs and a drop axle which was ridiculously low to the ground for what we use it for. I built a straight axle and mounted it on top of the spring shackles. This was a huge improvement for back roads but I worried about it being too high and top heavy.

I bought a set of Timbren 殿xles�or it but haven稚 installed them yet. All I can say at this stage is that they are very will built and look like they were made for a military trailer. It will probably be several weeks before I get them installed.

Standard leaf spring setups, when maintained, work well on-road. Went through the used TT I bought a few years ago, replaced what was worn (dual axle, with equalizers), will be fine for that application. That trailer is 23', so is not something I'll off-road with.

I was looking for something else, and came across these axle-less ones in the thread title. Like Langan in NV, my interest is off-road. Bob - thanks for the initial feedback - pls keep us posted on the install, we like pics too :thumbsup:

The only Timbren items I've seen live were samples of their BumpStop units. Simple, but well builit. IIRC, many people that have that used those on here have spoke well of them.

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
I have run Trimbrens on my 2500HD GMC for many years and they are awesome. Pros, they are cheap and easy to install and will allow you to haul much heavier loads with ease. They are maintenance free, install them and forget about them. Retain you stock unloaded ride. Cons, While they work great with your truck unloaded or heavily loaded, they give you a harsh stiff ride with light loads or just a couple hundred pounds in the bed or a trailer with a lighter tongue weight. For me they would great because I am generally light of heavily loaded. If you vary loads greatly and travel long distances as such then you would be better off with air bags.

Good contrast with air-bags. I'm familiar with Firestone bags, they work well but are more complicated - all air based systems have more failure points. Bags are nice in terms off adjustability for varying loads though....

Rgds, D.

What about body roll ?

Shouldn't be an issue for my application.

But you do know trailers well, so you have me thinking..... I don't see an issue for legal road speeds here, but you have other higher velocities to consider on your continent..... Your thoughts ?

For specific mostly on-road applications (like boats), these may give you the option for a lower trailer. Liking that, for lower Cg.

Rgds, D.