Do I Need Trailer Brake?

/ Do I Need Trailer Brake? #12  
As everyone else has said, yes get brakes installed/repaired. I would have them on both axles so you're covered for heavier loads in the future, and safer for your current load. You have an integrated controller from Ford, and they do a terrific job balancing the truck's new technologies with a trailer's brake capabilities.

/ Do I Need Trailer Brake?
I guess not everyone read my original post in its entirety.

YES, my vehicle already has a brake controller.

NO, my state does not have a requirement for trailer brakes unless the trailer is gooseneck/5th wheel or carrying 3000lbs or more of hazardous material. Therefore, NOT required for me.

/ Do I Need Trailer Brake? #14  
So the tractor weighs 4000. The brush cutter probably 5-600. The trailer probably 1500. Total of 6000 or better. Here's an easy test.... Throw 3 tons of weights in your bed, get up to 45MPH, pay your kid, or a friends kid to run out in front of you, slam on the brakes and see if you miss him.... :eek:

Kinda harsh, but that's about the size of it. You have the brake controller, you have the brakes on the trailer, the truck isn't designed to stop that big of a load with its own brakes, its all pretty obvious, so just hook em up! :thumbsup:

/ Do I Need Trailer Brake? #15  
I guess not everyone read my original post in its entirety.

YES, my vehicle already has a brake controller.

NO, my state does not have a requirement for trailer brakes unless the trailer is gooseneck/5th wheel or carrying 3000lbs or more of hazardous material. Therefore, NOT required for me.

It may or may not be required but imagine trying to panic stop that load if a car/child/whatever runs out in front of you. Not only will you probably lose your truck, trailer and tractor--You will most likely be sued for anything else you own. Trailer brakes are cheap and responsible in comparison.

/ Do I Need Trailer Brake? #16  
If your trailer should start swaying, just apply the electric trailer brakes and it will straighten right out. Another reason to hook them up.

/ Do I Need Trailer Brake? #17  
Even brakes on one axle makes a tremendous difference. Keeps the trailer trailing the truck, instead of passing you by.

/ Do I Need Trailer Brake? #18  
Hear is something interesting just for discussion. If somebody from Missouri that isn't required to have trailer brakes tows into Iowa that requires trailer brakes, breakaway breaking, and weight equilizer with sway control for trailers over 3000 what states laws would apply from a legal standpoint.

/ Do I Need Trailer Brake? #19  
Get the brakes working. One panic stop and you'll be wishing you had them.

/ Do I Need Trailer Brake? #20  
Hear is something interesting just for discussion. If somebody from Missouri that isn't required to have trailer brakes tows into Iowa that requires trailer brakes, breakaway breaking, and weight equilizer with sway control for trailers over 3000 what states laws would apply from a legal standpoint.

I have been told it's the state where you are currently. That is for example why triple tows legal in one state and not in another can't be towed there. Enforcement is likely up to the officer you encounter unless a checkpoint. But, I've found it's a little different on tags, as KS doesn't require tags on 2K# or less trailers, and can be used in other states as long as proof of residency is available in KS, but I'm required to have brakes in KS on my MO tagged big trailer even though MO doesn't require.

But, I agree with those above, brakes will save you in the long run. And, they may well save someone else!