Do I Need Trailer Brake?

/ Do I Need Trailer Brake? #1  

Olympus

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039
I just bought a 16ft tandem axle trailer to tow my tractor and brush hog out to my land. The trailer will be a little project as it needs completely rewired for lights, needs a new deck, etc. I figured after I remove the deck boards, I’d go ahead and rewire the lights. Wondering if I should go ahead and wire it for trailer brakes or not. The seller said the front axle had electric brake, but they’d never hooked it up. My tractor weighs about 4000lbs and my brush hog is a 5ft Standard Duty Howse. I’m pulling it with a 2016 F150 that already has integrated brake controller. I only tow my tractor to the property about 2 to 3 times a year and the property is 25 miles door to door from my house.

Rewiring the standard lights would be no problem, but I have no experience wiring trailer brake or even how to adjust them, etc. Do I really need the electric brake or will I be ok without?

FYI, my state doesn’t say it’s mandatory. Only on gooseneck/5th wheel trailers or trailers hauling over 3000lbs of hazardous materials. So legally I’m not required to have them.

/ Do I Need Trailer Brake? #2  
You absolutely want trailer brakes on a tandem trailer....Without them, you're relying on your truck brakes to stop 2.5+ tons of trailer weight. Not a good thing whether it's required or not. Ideally the brakes should be on both axles as well.

/ Do I Need Trailer Brake? #3  
If you plan on redecking.... run a 1" PVC electrical conduit down the center of the decking. It will be a little lower than the decking height, and will last. You usually have to piece the center section anyway because the width of the board do not work out exactly to fill the deck width. Just tyrap the conduit down with black ties to the cross angle. Use a step drill and hog out a couple holes where you need them [ one by the braking axles, and one by the tail lights ]. Then use this to protect the wiring running back from the tongue. Take some extra care running/protecting all the underneath wiring and you will be good to go for many many many years... Ditto on the YOU NEED BRAKES post above... The trailer can easily outweigh the truck loaded... and you want to go where the truck wants to go, not where the trailer is dragging you ... :)

/ Do I Need Trailer Brake? #4  
Buy a wiring loom that also supplies an electric brake circuit. Your truck already has it in it's bumper plug if it's brake controller is factory.

Someone is just as likely to pull out in front of you or stop in front of you within 25 miles of home as they are farther out.

Since the trailer brakes haven't been used, expect some maintenance to get them working. They use a simply electro-magnet. Disassemble them and free up all the moving parts. Chances of the electro-magnets being bad are very small. If the assembly is free to move as it should and you apply voltage you should have brakes.

My Son recently rebuilt a pair of trailer brakes. It's pretty cheap to replace everything. Here's a good website for online ordering parts.

Electric Trailer Brake Assembly - 1" - Right Hand - 3,5 lbs etrailer Trailer Brakes AKEBRK-35R

/ Do I Need Trailer Brake? #5  
Yes always yes if possible

/ Do I Need Trailer Brake? #6  
Also, many states have a law that requires brakes on any trailer above 2K# (may vary by state)

/ Do I Need Trailer Brake? #7  
Definitely fix the brakes, and install them on the second axle. I don't know about your state but mine has a maximum license requirement of 5000 pounds if running brakes on one axle. over that hint 4000 lb tractor plus weight of trailer will put you over 5000 lb requires brakes on all axles. Also be aware that if you have 4 wheel abs and you get on loose material on the road the truck will attempt to apply the ABS and the trailer will push you right through an intersection. Believe me, I had a 12 foot single axle loaded with two riding mowers push me through an intersection covered with loose gravel coming up to a stop sign. Not going fast and was actually slowing down starting about 200 feet back from the intersection. I drive a 2011 ram 1500.

/ Do I Need Trailer Brake? #8  
Yes, you want trailer brakes. And if your tow vehicle doesn't already have a brake controller, I recommend getting one similar to a Teknosha Prodigy. They work great and are transferable between vehicles, should you decide to trade/sell eventually, and, remove easily for out-of-sight storage to deter theft of the unit.

Tekonsha!

/ Do I Need Trailer Brake? #9  
Also, many states have a law that requires brakes on any trailer above 2K# (may vary by state)

My state requires brakes on one axle from 3000-5000 lb and brakes on all axles above that.

/ Do I Need Trailer Brake? #10  
Here in Pa. any trailer over 3000 lbs needs to have brakes on each axle and the breakaway system must work.
The DOT has check points setup often around here. And they have been checking these smaller trailers hard the past couple years.
If the breakaway doesn't work you get red tagged and fined.