Super tall pickup beds

/ Super tall pickup beds #1  

Wolfy

Veteran Member
Tractor
a fleet of them
I have to think I am just one of many that is really sick of the height of new pickups. You need to carry a ladder on board just to reach them!

/ Super tall pickup beds #2  
If you are going to play with the big dogs you gotta be able to reach into the tall beds!!!! ;)

/ Super tall pickup beds #3  
I have to think I am just one of many that is really sick of the height of new pickups. You need to carry a ladder on board just to reach them!

That's one of the reasons why I like smaller pickups. On our Tacoma, I can load and unload stuff from the side easily, and it isn't too much trouble getting into the back gate. Was even easier in our 1996. Should have kept it.

If they'd make them front wheel drive and eliminate that huge differential and all its bouncy weight in the back, they could lower the beds in back. I'm hoping this is what Tesla will do for their promised electric pickups.

Could put motors right into the rear wheels if they had a hybrid system for 4wd.

The pickup makers are not very innovative, and they certainly aren't doing much to improve fuel mileage. No hybrids. No electric pickups.

Ralph

/ Super tall pickup beds #4  

I carry a ladder with my almost stock F350 dually.

/ Super tall pickup beds #5  
I reckon that it's supply & demand. More urban purchasers wanting jacked up height = can see farther in traffic and are more prominent (look at ME!!!).

In other words, the 'pick-ups' (utes) are drifting away from being practical work vehicles.

/ Super tall pickup beds #6  
That's one of the reasons why I like smaller pickups. On our Tacoma, I can load and unload stuff from the side easily, and it isn't too much trouble getting into the back gate. Was even easier in our 1996. Should have kept it.

If they'd make them front wheel drive and eliminate that huge differential and all its bouncy weight in the back, they could lower the beds in back. I'm hoping this is what Tesla will do for their promised electric pickups.

Could put motors right into the rear wheels if they had a hybrid system for 4wd.

The pickup makers are not very innovative, and they certainly aren't doing much to improve fuel mileage. No hybrids. No electric pickups.

Ralph
The problem with a front wheel drive pickup is that with all of the weight is in the front there would be some handling issues to overcome, especially in lower traction conditions. Also, once you freight the bed with a good load the traction will stink , and the truck will be harder to control; just as a heavy trailer causes different handling situations. I know that Volkswagen did it with their little rig, which was very popular with people who wanted the convenience of a pickup bed and weren't hauling heavy loads; but didn't want things like fuel cans, lawn mowers, and garbage in the passenger compartment.

/ Super tall pickup beds #7  
That's why one pickup brand has step in corners of there bumper...they do come in handy when your over 60 years. ;)

/ Super tall pickup beds #8  
That's why one pickup brand has step in corners of there bumper...they do come in handy when your over 60 years. ;)

You need this:D 6a00d83451b3c669e20168e98acf2e970c-800wi.jpg

/ Super tall pickup beds #9  
A front wheel drive would be no good with a heavy load in the back or with a trailer.

/ Super tall pickup beds #10  

And I'm glad those steps are there or I'd need a ladder to get into the bed of my 3/4T.