Brake controller on tractor

/ Brake controller on tractor #1  

tlj87

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4700, Kubota BX2370-1, Kubota RTV1140CPX, Kubota F3060, Club Car Precedent
I’m planning on getting a small dump trailer. I’d like to be able to use it with my tractor (in addition to my truck, on road). How does a brake controller on a tractor work? I assume you have to slide the manual control —- it’s not connected to the tractor brakes? This would be on a Ford 3000.

/ Brake controller on tractor #2  
I did a harness a little while back (last summer) after getting pushed around on fairly flat ground with the 1025R by a 10x5 tandem dumper with a load of dirt.

The simplest approach is use a controller with a manual activation feature (I bought a Curt 5110 for about $30). You can "pinch" across the width of the controller to apply braking. You also need a decent 12v source to feed the controller/brake circuit & a proper socket for the trailer plug. I would suggest an electrical source connection more robust than a cigarette light plug. I put my harness together with some 10 awg THHN wire I had laying around for the connections to the socket & for the battery connection, using some jumper cable clamps so it is portable. I also wired in the 12v supply pin on the socket so the dumper battery gets a boost while connected.

I have not yet needed to use it since construction, but it is available if I do (& it will be with the 3038e - not going to move any significant weight in the dumper with the 1025R again).

Nick

/ Brake controller on tractor #3  
Do any brake controller companies offer a switch you could connect to the tractor brake pedals? My concern is having to reach for the manual control in an oh **** moment while traveling down the road

/ Brake controller on tractor #6  
Lots of tractors don't have brake lights. Even on brand new machines.

I'm thinking that the vast majority of new tractors do, indeed, have them (I didn't find any without.) Heck, my Mahindra even has the trailer electrical socket.

/ Brake controller on tractor #7  
Do we really need a brake on the trailer, to my experience with a trailer dumper it go well without it. Maybe my trailer is smaller(contain aroud a cubic yard) or 6’x4’x2’? It has to axe so it’s stay in line.

/ Brake controller on tractor #8  
I have tail lights on my tractor no brake lights:) 0413161324-00.jpg

/ Brake controller on tractor #9  
Are you guys still driving coal /steam power or kerosene powered tractors with iron rims ? Really no brake lights ?

Just kidding. I did say “if so equipped”

/ Brake controller on tractor #10  
Do we really need a brake on the trailer, to my experience with a trailer dumper it go well without it. Maybe my trailer is smaller(contain aroud a cubic yard) or 6’x4’x2’? It has to axe so it’s stay in line.

You do if you are moving a heavy dumper loaded to capacity. In my case, that is a total of 6000 - 7000 lb. If you are on anything other than table flat land, you really need additional help - especially if turning - that kind of weight can end up pushing a lighter tractor sideways.