Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio.

/ Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio. #1  

cold1313

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M4D-071 Kubota F3990
I'd like to have an idea of what trailer I might get in the future to haul my new Kubota MX5800 w/ loader and w/ a 116" long, Woods BB720X bush hog. I have 660lbs of rear wheel weights on the tractor.

I currently have a 1/2 ton truck and don't plan to move the tractor a lot, if only to the dealer for maintenance or a small side job.

I'm guessing a 20' car trailer or equipment trailer with two x,xxxlb axles??

What about brand / place to buy? I'm located in Northern Ohio but I have no problem driving to get a deal. There's only about 2 trailer places near me (about 40 minutes away).....so I don't know if they are over priced or not.

Is there a place that I should consider driving to, and save some bucks?

Not sure how much one of these units would cost to get into.

/ Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio. #2  
I'd like to have an idea of what trailer I might get in the future to haul my new Kubota MX5800 w/ loader and w/ a 116" long, Woods BB720X bush hog. I have 660lbs of rear wheel weights on the tractor.

I currently have a 1/2 ton truck and don't plan to move the tractor a lot, if only to the dealer for maintenance or a small side job.

I'm guessing a 20' car trailer or equipment trailer with two x,xxxlb axles??

What about brand / place to buy? I'm located in Northern Ohio but I have no problem driving to get a deal. There's only about 2 trailer places near me (about 40 minutes away).....so I don't know if they are over priced or not.

Is there a place that I should consider driving to, and save some bucks?

Not sure how much one of these units would cost to get into.

Likely the best deal (cost) you will find is a trailer made by Quality Steel & Aluminum trailers in Elkhart, IN. I WAS PRICE SHOPPING !
I do not know if they will sell to you direct, as they are a manufacturer.
Phone # 574-295-8715 geterdumped.com
They build all types of trailers.
They have NO FULL TIME sales staff!
You could also E-Mail:
jimstacy@geterdumped.com

toddman67@comcast.net

michellebuttrick@aol.com

If they will not sell direct, I am sure they can put you in touch with one of their dealers.
I wanted to get the most bang for the buck trailer, and bought mine from one of their dealers in New England, where I live.
Mine is a 20' 14K equipment trailer, with 16" wheels.

/ Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio. #3  
Check out Appalachian trailers. They have two plants, one in Ohio and I purchased direct. Their prices and options are online. They discount a small amount but not much. After having a prior trailer, I had an idea what I wanted. I like their tapered front and they had best rear slide out ramps of any car hauler style I looked at...16" wide with smooth plated top. They have improved their quality over time and I purchased about five years ago. It pulls great, have had no problems and would purchase again.

I did have a custom toolbox made and modified a couple things for my use. One great simple addition was bolting on snow plow guide rods on each corner of square tube steel rear light holder to judge corner as whole rear of trailer disappears from view behind tailgate.

Like a lot of things, and experience, trying to cheap out sometimes costs in efficiency and ease of use...this trailer way nicer in that regard than my first one. It makes loading so easier and faster while the smooth plate top ramps make loading small wheel items practical rather than ladder style ramps.

Only mistake I made was getting 18' instead of 20' and 7k instead of 10k rating. In your case I would recommend 20' and 10k (2 5k axles) rated trailer...maybe rub rail too...good luck whatever the brand.

/ Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio. #4  
I'm in favor of a longer trailer. I went from a dbl axle 20' to a 22' and jumped from a 7k to a 14K. Many good brands on the market. Mines a PJ model TF.
Most 1/2T trucks are rated to tow around 11-12K these days so in your case considering an MX5800 I'd go for a 20' 10K or 12K trailer with 82" between the fenders. I'm not sure of the width of the MX but if over 82" you'll need a deckover trailer. I opted for no side rails for easier side loading with forks.

/ Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio. #5  
Most 1/2T trucks are rated to tow around 11-12K these days

That 10-12k is with a weight distribution hitch though. Never see an equipment trailer with weight distribution hitch.

IMO if you get a trailer over 7k your going to need a bigger truck to handle is safely.

/ Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio.
I'm at around 80-81" with my rear tires. My cutter is 72", 1300lbs or so if I remember correctly.

What kind of price tag do these ones have? Last trailer I bought new was an enclosed unit, many years ago

/ Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio. #7  
That 10-12k is with a weight distribution hitch though. Never see an equipment trailer with weight distribution hitch.

IMO if you get a trailer over 7k your going to need a bigger truck to handle is safely.

When I towed any of my trailers with the 1/2T I used a WD hitch. Now I have a 3/4T and don't use the WD on the equipment trailer but do when towing the camper or dump trailers.
I'd recommend anyone towing 7K and over with a 1/2T to use a WD hitch.

Prices vary by location, brand, length, weight, and options. Prices are way higher here in the NE I believe due to very few trailer manufacturers. When I was looking 4 years ago basic 10-12K trailer with ramps with ramps ranged between $3.5-4.5K. Hydraulic tilt trailers adds another $1500-2000 to the price.

I looked on CL for over 6 months for a used trlr. before buying new. Trailers over 7K trailers are far and few between in the used market here.

Last edited:
   / Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio. #8  

Oops!
Not so fast!
I tow my 14K equipment trailer with a 14K Equal-i-zer hitch anytime It has a GVW over 10,000 lbs.
I tow with a 1997 K2500 Suburban 4x4 with 454 V-8. (9.3 mpg)
I always limit my GVW to 12K, as my vehicle hitch, even with the 14K Equal-i-zer, is rated for max of 12K.
Luckily, my trailer GVW, with my old Ford TLB aboard, is exactly 12K.
Big old (pristine) Suburban does a good job, but tailgating is a no..no !

/ Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio. #9  
I just purchased a new trailer in Ohio last week and looked at a lot of trailers so I may be able to point you to some dealers....
I purchased a Moritz 22' hydraulic tail with 14k axles, Moritz trailers are manufactured in Mansfield Ohio and appear to be of great quality, the fit and finish was way better than anything else I looked at, here is their website .. Equipment Trailers | Moritz Trailers & Truck Bodies

Here are some dealers to check out in Ohio...

Home | Custom Cabs Truck Beds and Trailers in Ohio | Find new and used truck beds and equipment flatbeds trailers in Ohio this is where I bought mine, mainly because they had what I wanted in stock but they were great to deal with and they had the best price for what I wanted.

New & Used Trailer Dealership in Salam, Ohio | Bennett Trailer Sales these guys were 2nd in line price wise they are also located in the same town as the above mentioned Appalachian Trailer so may be worth a trip.

Home | O Reilly Equipment | Flatbed trailers, dump trailers and truck beds in Cleveland OH I didn't go visit this dealer, seems to have good stock but his advertised prices were higher

Mr Trailer Sales

With your tractor width you may be looking at a deckover since most non-deckovers are 81'-83" between the fenders

/ Help with picking trailer size and brand? Located in Ohio. #10  
Check Leonards Trailer Sales, they have a pretty good selection.