How can this be? Common sense hauling... Fed approved??? DOT Exemption!

/ How can this be? Common sense hauling... Fed approved??? DOT Exemption! #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I'm thrilled with this news. This crappy DOT requirement for CDL, etc for hauling is and always has been ridiculous.

However, I'd like your agreement that I am reading what I believe I am.

"... even if prize or scholarship money is offered." This has always been an issue in horses, because the DOT was taking the point that hauling a horse to a race, rodeo, or show constituted business in which case you had to have a CDL in such cases.

Ag Hauling Exemption FULL TEXT

Ag Hauling Exemption synopsis

/ How can this be? Common sense hauling... Fed approved??? DOT Exemption! #2  
I can't say for the rest of the country, but around me, there are plenty of crew cab drw 350/450 and 3500/4500 "pickups" towing these gigantic horse/ camper trailers that have got to be walking the weight limit line. Usually driven by someone with a class D license.

/ How can this be? Common sense hauling... Fed approved??? DOT Exemption! #3  
The guys running a F-450 with a cattle trailer or GN probably knows what he's doing. The guy driving a massive RV or rental box truck not so much.

/ How can this be? Common sense hauling... Fed approved??? DOT Exemption! #4  
The guys running a F-450 with a cattle trailer or GN probably knows what he's doing. The guy driving a massive RV or rental box truck not so much.

Often times true I suspect.

/ How can this be? Common sense hauling... Fed approved??? DOT Exemption! #5  
I have nothing against farmers I grow crops and raise cattle myself and have trailers with farm plates but the whole ag exemption stuff is a bunch of crap. If the DOT laws are for safety on the roads shouldn’t all vehicles in the same weight class follow the same guidelines? I truly don’t understand the logic of it. The DOT rules are overreaching and should be cut back for everyone but exempting certain groups is just dumb. It is the biggest hypocrisy with them saying group a has do to do this in the name of safety but group b doesn’t have to.

All I can figure is there some type of ag lobby that fights against them stuffing these regs down the farmers throats but everyone is in favor of putting more regulations on other types of businesses.

/ How can this be? Common sense hauling... Fed approved??? DOT Exemption!
I agree BDog.

The laws are definitely overreaching and were developed long before current technology and use. However, they also make no sense what-so-ever concerning farm use. And I'll take an 'exception' over compliance to stupidity any day.

I'm not for 'more' laws... but it does make me cringe knowing that my 75yo father in law can go buy a 'bus' sized RV, attach a truck for towing, and drive off the lot without any legal ramifications. But I cannot use my purpose built hauler with a gooseneck, to take my tractor in for repairs.

/ How can this be? Common sense hauling... Fed approved??? DOT Exemption! #7  
I can't say for the rest of the country, but around me, there are plenty of crew cab drw 350/450 and 3500/4500 "pickups" towing these gigantic horse/ camper trailers that have got to be walking the weight limit line. Usually driven by someone with a class D license.

Same in my area. There's a guy up the road from me with an early 2000's Chevy 4x4 3500 dually (no DOT#s on cab) and tows a goose neck trailer with 8 wheels. I estimate it to be at least a 20-25K rated trailer and on the trailer is an 18K excavator. Sometimes has has the excav. and a skid steer on the trailer. He has a class D license.
Even if it is a 25K its at or over the trailer limit and way over the limits of his truck. I'm guessing his truck, trailer, and load is pushing close to 40K.
I cringe every time I see him go down the road.

/ How can this be? Common sense hauling... Fed approved??? DOT Exemption! #8  
Same in my area. There's a guy up the road from me with an early 2000's Chevy 4x4 3500 dually (no DOT#s on cab) and tows a goose neck trailer with 8 wheels. I estimate it to be at least a 20-25K rated trailer and on the trailer is an 18K excavator. Sometimes has has the excav. and a skid steer on the trailer. He has a class D license.
Even if it is a 25K its at or over the trailer limit and way over the limits of his truck. I'm guessing his truck, trailer, and load is pushing close to 40K.
I cringe every time I see him go down the road.

Even the 2018 Chevy dually pick ups can’t tow nearly as much as Ram and Ford. Let’s see what the 2019’s are rated for.

/ How can this be? Common sense hauling... Fed approved??? DOT Exemption! #9  
I have nothing against farmers I grow crops and raise cattle myself and have trailers with farm plates but the whole ag exemption stuff is a bunch of crap. If the DOT laws are for safety on the roads shouldn’t all vehicles in the same weight class follow the same guidelines? I truly don’t understand the logic of it. The DOT rules are overreaching and should be cut back for everyone but exempting certain groups is just dumb. It is the biggest hypocrisy with them saying group a has do to do this in the name of safety but group b doesn’t have to.

All I can figure is there some type of ag lobby that fights against them stuffing these regs down the farmers throats but everyone is in favor of putting more regulations on other types of businesses.

They have laws to follow to. They are only exempt from the license class, and can only do it for their own farm related business. They cannot do anything for a friend or relative.

/ How can this be? Common sense hauling... Fed approved??? DOT Exemption! #10  
They have laws to follow to. They are only exempt from the license class, and can only do it for their own farm related business. They cannot do anything for a friend or relative.

What difference does that make? They can drive a vehicle on a public roadway with no safety inspections, and a regular class of drivers license that the government has decided that anyone else operating the same vehicle on the road for non farm purposes must have a CDL, DOT safety inspections on the vehicle, etc.