What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup?

/ What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup? #1  

Wolfy

Veteran Member
Tractor
a fleet of them
I asked at a Chevrolet dealer one time, was told certain electrical connections can be different.

/ What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup? #2  
I asked at a Chevrolet dealer one time, was told certain electrical connections can be different.

I was told at the end of the assembly line, that if it starts they put "GMC" on the grill and if it does not, they put the Chevy bow tie on and send it to be fixed. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup? #3  
Sorry for the smart remark, I have owned both and found them to be very much the same and have probably had ore durability issues with GMC than Chevy but it might have been the specific truck. Anyway, I went and looked and here are a few items that I found:

“GMC traditionally has been targeted to professionals while Chevy goes for the mass market,” said Jesse Toprak, vice president of market intelligence for the car-pricing site TrueCar. Beyond that, Toprak says that there's a clear overlap in the marketing message between the two. The only other difference, perhaps, is that GMC is aimed at “not being one of the herd,” and “more exclusive” than Chevrolet.

Appearance Differences
Since most GMC model lines are built on the same assembly lines as Chevrolet pickups and SUVs, the differences between the vehicles are limited. Today, much of uniqueness is found primarily in cosmetic packages: options and trim levels. The trim and materials used for internal design give customers pause trying to decide which vehicle to buy. Typically, a GMC truck's base level is about the same as a Chevy midlevel trim. A stock top-level GMC typically has more luxury amenities than the top-trim Chevy truck.

Quality Control Differences
Comparing apparently identical GMC and Chevrolet pickups might inspire the question, "Why does the GMC cost more?" It's common practice among modern auto manufacturers that have twin brands to do more quality control tests on each unit that reaches the end of the assembly line. While a Chevrolet pickup might receive a 60- or 100-point inspection before release, a GMC might have a 110-point inspection. The extra inspection time costs more for labor, therefore it costs slightly more to purchase. The upshot is, the more thorough inspection increases the reliability factor, and therefore the value, of the GMC.

/ What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup? #4  
Biggest difference is how they are spelled!
Also the trim package.
Have owned both and will take either one over any other PU!

/ What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup? #5  
With Chevy I think you have to order the 6.2 V-8 in order to get the 8 speed transmission, where as with GMC you can order the 5.3 or the 6.2 V-8 and get the 8 speed.

/ What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup?
Smart remarks welcomed, nothing wrong with a little fun.

/ What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup?
I actually prefer plain jane trim over fully loaded trim, so it sounds like it would be easier to find in the Chevy...

/ What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup? #8  
We have had both GMC and Chevrolets since 1984. In 1990 we ordered a fully loaded GMC Suburban (in those days both Chevrolets and GMC's were called Suburbans), when we received it, everything was fine. Dealer said he needed it for a day to do a final inspection. When we got it home, we found that on the driver's side door was the GMC logo. On the passenger side door was the CHEVROLET logo. I interpret that to telling me not only are they the same, they are made at the same factory.
Just my opinion. Still own GMC's and am loyal to that same dealer.

/ What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup? #9  
We have had both GMC and Chevrolets since 1984. In 1990 we ordered a fully loaded GMC Suburban (in those days both Chevrolets and GMC's were called Suburbans), when we received it, everything was fine. Dealer said he needed it for a day to do a final inspection. When we got it home, we found that on the driver's side door was the GMC logo. On the passenger side door was the CHEVROLET logo. I interpret that to telling me not only are they the same, they are made at the same factory.
Just my opinion. Still own GMC's and am loyal to that same dealer.

Kind of a related story - When I was a kid my mom bought a brand new 1976 Dodge Charger SE. The name plate on the interior door trim said Cordoba.

/ What about a GMC pickup is different than a Chevrolet pickup? #10  
Having been in the auto business for years I have seen many things like this. When I was sales manager for chevy the dealer pricing book said chevy/gmc. Prices were the same for each