Need Suggestions - Used Tow Vehicle

/ Need Suggestions - Used Tow Vehicle #1  

Grumpa Wally

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060HD12, former Mahindra 5035, former Ford 3910, former Ford 2000
We towed our previous camper with our 2006 5.3 Tahoe and it was sufficient as we have a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller and 4 way Equalizer hitch. We purchased a larger camper and have towed it with the Tahoe and it does OK, but want to travel farther, which will take us over mountains. Suggestions on Make, Model and years for another tow vehicle. Preferably used, diesel and possibly 1 ton.

/ Need Suggestions - Used Tow Vehicle #2  
I wouldn't own a diesel truck on a bet today;just not worth it.Get a 3/4 ton with the largest gas motor.
Local dealers will order but do not stock any diesels;and we are in farm country.

/ Need Suggestions - Used Tow Vehicle #3  
I love my Diesel. It’s a deleted 2011 Ram 2500. On the other hand I think you would be fine with a gas if the Tahoe “pulls it ok”. Gearing has a lot to do with pulling power and that Tahoe is probably geared for fuel economy. Think you would be fine with a gas 3/4 ton according to the information provided.

/ Need Suggestions - Used Tow Vehicle #4  
The answer is all about budget. Are you looking to spend 15 grand? 30 grand? 60 grand? I'd personally give very different answers based upon budget.

/ Need Suggestions - Used Tow Vehicle #5  
Agree with the 3/4 ton gas suggestion unless it's getting pulled every day.

/ Need Suggestions - Used Tow Vehicle #6  
It's all about Budget Budget Budget.

If you're spending a LOT of time towing, and going to be in the mountains for a lot of it, a turbo is sure nice, whether it's a diesel or an ecoboost...
If you're towing on vacations only, and less frequently in the mountains, then a gasser will be fine, and will get the job done for less money.

I'd be leery of buying a diesel truck at this point because you never know what the jackrod before you did to it... It's far too easy to put a tuner on them and cook transmissions and head gaskets and then broom the truck when the problem shows... If you can find an old man owned truck, then it's a safer buy, but cheap, reliable diesel trucks are getting hard to find IMO.

Honestly, if your Tahoe will tow the new trailer, I might suggest that you keep an eye out for a Suburban with an 8.1L. I think it was offered up through 2006, or early 2007 for trucks... Find a vehicle from out west. If a truck would better serve you, find one with the 8.1L and the Allison trans for best trailer towing duty.

My experience with Excursions towing is that they are a handfull... Sloppy handling and soft rear suspension do not make for good tow rigs...

I would also recommend you try an Ecoboost Ford F150... You may be surprised how nice having a turbo makes the towing experience. The EcoDiesel Ram 1500's would also be a truck to drive, if you can find one...

/ Need Suggestions - Used Tow Vehicle #7  
Your Tahoe would tow the new trailer better if you had better gearing. If looking for another truck a 3/4 or 1T will work just make sure you have better gearing. Something like 3.73, 4.10, 4.30 gears with a 5.3, 6.0, 6.2L (GM products). Not sure about other brand engines and gears. Your Tahoe probably has 3.42 or numerically lower gears.

More info on the new trailer is needed. Things like GVWR, tongue weight, etc. would better help decide what is needed to tow it.

/ Need Suggestions - Used Tow Vehicle #8  
I have always had Fords, but having said that, run far way from any Ford diesel built from 2003 to 2010. A V-10 is a great puller however. I have no time on a Dodge, but I would have no issues buying a 6.6L Duramax.

/ Need Suggestions - Used Tow Vehicle #9  
I have always had Fords, but having said that, run far way from any Ford diesel built from 2003 to 2010. A V-10 is a great puller however. I have no time on a Dodge, but I would have no issues buying a 6.6L Duramax.

The 6.0 powerstoke had some issues in 2003 and 2004. But the later built ones usually are pretty good. The 6.4 built from 2008-2010 is a good reliable engine, but the emission equipment on it brings it down. If it had to meet 2007 emissions standards it would be a very reliable engine.

/ Need Suggestions - Used Tow Vehicle #10  

Love these guys...they keep the price of 6.0 diesels low.

The 6.0 diesel did have some issues, however Ford sold more diesels during the period of 2003-2010 than both Chevy and Dodge combined. All the problems with the 6.0 are very well documented and there are OEM fixes for them all. Plus, once you understand the motor, it's a **** fine motor mated to an almost indestructible tranny.

Any modern truck will do what you need, so just pick the one with the best dealer and options...