GM/Chevy torsion bars

/ GM/Chevy torsion bars #1  

Wolfy

Veteran Member
Tractor
a fleet of them
Okay got another question. What is the correct way to adjust the torsion bars? I am not entirely, well not really at all certain on the theory behind them. Maybe some of my GM friends can enlighten me.

/ GM/Chevy torsion bars #2  
The only thing you can really do is adjust the height. The only reason to mess with it would be you added a snow plow or something and wanted to raise the front back up a little.

Torsion bars take the place of the springs. The are just a long rod anchored on one end and the other end usually hooked to the lower arm in front.

/ GM/Chevy torsion bars #3  
Plenty of videos online. Here's one. Adjusting (tightening) the bars will raise the front ride height slightly. It may also stiffen the ride with more tension on the bar. I didn't watch the whole video but you should measure the height of each side first and if the same tighten each torsion bar bolt the same number of turns. Why do you need to adjust yours?

adjusting chevy torsion bars - Bing video

/ GM/Chevy torsion bars
Sorry, did not mean to make that confusing. I am not sure if my S10 has them. I know my F350 sure doesn't. :) I have just been trying to learn more about GM trucks.

/ GM/Chevy torsion bars #5  
I added a leveling kit to my GMC 2500HD, which is basically different torsion keys that adjust the torsion bar beyond factory settings. The kit raised the front end about 2.5". The kit came with extension brackets for the shock mounts so you don't have to buy longer shocks. I installed it so that the tire & wheel kit that I put on it didn't rub the fenders. But as stated above, it does stiffen the ride quite a bit. But otherwise, if you think your front end is sagging a bit or swaying too much under load, you can adjust it up with the stock torsion keys.

/ GM/Chevy torsion bars
I do notice that the front ends of a GM/Chevy sag a lot more with a snow plow than a Ford or Dodge, but it doesn't seem to bother them really. Maybe a little less ground clearance.

/ GM/Chevy torsion bars
I am going to look in the morning.

/ GM/Chevy torsion bars #9  
I added a leveling kit to my GMC 2500HD, which is basically different torsion keys that adjust the torsion bar beyond factory settings. The kit raised the front end about 2.5". The kit came with extension brackets for the shock mounts so you don't have to buy longer shocks. I installed it so that the tire & wheel kit that I put on it didn't rub the fenders. But as stated above, it does stiffen the ride quite a bit. But otherwise, if you think your front end is sagging a bit or swaying too much under load, you can adjust it up with the stock torsion keys.

I leveled out my 2015 Chevy 2500, but I took another approach. I installed a set of McGaughy's 2" drop shackles in the back and took out a lot of that "cat in heat" rake. I am older now, and have no desire to climb so far into the bed to do anything, and raising the front more really wasn't of interest to me. The back end was just like a cat in heat. It looked goofy having the butt of my pickup stuck up in the air like that. The pickups are already tall enough to get in and out of. It is almost easier to get in and out of my semi truck than most modern pickup trucks. I did install a set of Sumo's on the rear axle also, so even with over a ton in the back end, the pickup is level.

/ GM/Chevy torsion bars
My S10 does not have torsion bars. Interesting though, I serviced a 2011 Ford Ranger at work, that truck has the torsion bars.