Built 8x8' Floating Dock in Barn - Now Need to Transport It to Site!

/ Built 8x8' Floating Dock in Barn - Now Need to Transport It to Site! #1  

VaBeekeeper

Tractor
2016 Kubota L3901 HST with LA-525 front loader
Hi folks,

I might get the prize for stupidity on this one, but rather than construct my 8x8' floating dock on site, I elected to build it in my barn, where I could more easily level and square up the boards, where I had access to my corded power tools, and where I could work any time of the day or night regardless of weather. This spring, however, I'm going to be facing the issue of how to get this thing down to the water. I could always disassemble it and reassemble on site, but I'd hate to do that if I can safely avoid it. I do plan to transport it without the 5/4" decking affixed, to save some weight there. Without the decking, I estimate the weight to be 370 lb.

Presuming I have a means of transportation, there are two ways I can possibly haul it to the water:

The first option involves me going about a quarter mile on the state secondary road that runs in front of my house, at then going approximately 0.5 mile down a driveway / logging trail to my landing. The trail is in pretty good condition, with vertical and horizontal clearance sufficient right until the last 50 yards, where the land slopes down to the creek and the assembly would have to be carried at an angle to make the 5' clearance between the trees. Which means taking the dock down off the vehicle and three or more stout fellows proceeding very carefully down a hill. Hmmm...

There might be a second option. A gentleman who lives a couple of bends down the creek has given me permission to use his landing for launching my jonboat. I may be able to persuade him to let me put my floating dock in the water there, quickly screw back on the deck boards, and use a pole to propel the dock on the incoming tide like a big cumbersome raft to my landing. If I can get his permission, then I'm looking at driving about a half mile on a secondary road and two miles on a primary state highway, before exiting to a nice, smooth, wide sandy drive with such a slow dropoff that you can't tell you're going downhill, right to his beautiful wide boat landing. (You can probably tell which option I'm hoping for.)

Either way, I've got to use something to haul the dock. Here's what I have on hand: A 2005 Dodge Dakota 4WD pickup truck with a 2" trailer ball; a Harbor Freight trailer I use to tow my 14' jonboat, the platform 48" in width; a Kubota L3901 4WD tractor, with a bucket equipped with hooks and a 7' carryall; a lot of tiedown straps and 3/8" twisted nylon rope and whatnot.

Does it look like carrying the assembled dock is doable, or will I be forced to take the thing apart before I move it?

Thanks for any advice...
dock_platform_8x8.jpg

/ Built 8x8' Floating Dock in Barn - Now Need to Transport It to Site! #2  
Stand it on edge in the back of the truck and use two straps on each side to keep it upright.

/ Built 8x8' Floating Dock in Barn - Now Need to Transport It to Site! #3  
MossRoad's solution is the cheapest and fastest solution if you have some extra bodies to lift it. You could also make or buy a cheap of 3-PT forks and let the tractors hydraulics do all the lifting for you, cargo strap the dock vertically to the ROPS and drive from your barn to the water. Your tractor will be able to use whatever ramp is available, remove the straps, back down to the water and tap your breaks. Splash-down :)

/ Built 8x8' Floating Dock in Barn - Now Need to Transport It to Site!
MossRoad's solution is the cheapest and fastest solution if you have some extra bodies to lift it. You could also make or buy a cheap of 3-PT forks and let the tractors hydraulics do all the lifting for you, cargo strap the dock vertically to the ROPS and drive from your barn to the water. Your tractor will be able to use whatever ramp is available, remove the straps, back down to the water and tap your breaks. Splash-down :)

Yes, that solution seems like it would work. As for your idea about the 3-PT forks, that's interesting too. Wonder whether that idea might be adapted to my carryall- I mentioned it being 7' wide, but I think it's only 6. The actual carryall can be seen in the background of the previous photo; the one shown in this post is an image I found on the Internet, but it's identical.
carryall.jpg

/ Built 8x8' Floating Dock in Barn - Now Need to Transport It to Site! #5  
Yes, that solution seems like it would work. As for your idea about the 3-PT forks, that's interesting too. Wonder whether that idea might be adapted to my carryall- I mentioned it being 7' wide, but I think it's only 6. The actual carryall can be seen in the background of the previous photo; the one shown in this post is an image I found on the Internet, but it's identical.
View attachment 543727

Just flip it up onto that sucker and strap it down! :laughing:

Get some friends to help you with the final placement through the narrow trees. Use some 4" PVC pipe for rollers. Cut them about 2' long, so you'll get 5 rollers from a 10' section. Lay them down, roll the thing on edge towards the water, taking the last roller out as you move along and putting it in front.

/ Built 8x8' Floating Dock in Barn - Now Need to Transport It to Site! #6  
Take the barrels off and stand it on end. Set the corner in your FEL bucket and strap it up well. 370 lbs is well within the lift capabilities of your FEL, but from looking at picture, I doubt if it is that heavy. Drive it slowly to your landing.

/ Built 8x8' Floating Dock in Barn - Now Need to Transport It to Site! #7  
if your by yourself, and get permission to use the better access. put it on your trailer... attach your boards, launch it like a your boat.

/ Built 8x8' Floating Dock in Barn - Now Need to Transport It to Site! #8  
Why not mount you jon boat motor on a built up transom and putter your way in?

/ Built 8x8' Floating Dock in Barn - Now Need to Transport It to Site! #9  
Why not mount you jon boat motor on a built up transom and putter your way in?

LOL, I have built a half dozen here on my dock and flipped them into the water then proceeded to deck them.
Next I'd rig a temporary transom and attach my electric trolling motor along with my 2 truck batteries and proceed to deliver them 2-3 miles down the lake.

LOL, once the wind came up and I had to paddle the last few hundred feet.
Had I anticipated wind I might have rigged my sailboard sail and played Robinson Crusoe

/ Built 8x8' Floating Dock in Barn - Now Need to Transport It to Site! #10  
next winter you can build a boat in the basement,